• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Deegan

Interesting that two of the released players have found other League One clubs already. Certainly a player you'd rather have playing for you than against, although I do think he was a bit tamer towards the end of last season.

Pleased he got a move quickly. I'm sure he'll get a decent reception when Shrewsbury visit us next season as he had a good rapport with the home fans

Let's see how many more games he's in the starting line up. That's why he says he left Southend.
No that's what Phil Brown said, has anyone actually witnessed Deegan saying this ?

At a guess I would say it's more of a combination of Brown ****ing him off towards the end of the season and the club only offering a 1 year deal.

Good luck to Deegan, he can hold his head high and say he gave his all for this club, sadly not all of last years squad can say the same.

I'm surprised he managed to sign for another league one club.

Good luck to him.

Deegan was released by Nortampton , iirc, when they were relegated a couple of years ago and struggled to get a decent deal, ended up with a league 2 club, us, on a short term contract.
We release him and he swiftly gets a two year deal with a League 1 club, rather than disliking Brown, it seems that he should be thanking him, he certainly seems to have improved in the eyes of other teams.

No that's what Phil Brown said, has anyone actually witnessed Deegan saying this ?

At a guess I would say it's more of a combination of Brown ****ing him off towards the end of the season and the club only offering a 1 year deal.

Good luck to Deegan, he can hold his head high and say he gave his all for this club, sadly not all of last years squad can say the same.

At a guess I would say Deegan thanked PB for saving his Professional career as he was on his way back to Ireland when we gave him a trial and signed him on a three month contract two years ago.

Such an underrated player. Would've been wanting to keep him. Sometimes he can boss the game and make us be able to play at our own pace. Given consistent starts I think he will flourish. Has a good catalogue of cross field passes, more often then not got criticised for loosing the ball because he played a more ambitious ball then going sideways or backwards. The opposite Atkinson gets stick for.

The falling happened at Wigan and Brown saved him having a melt down there and took him.

He had a 2 year deal with us the second year having been automatically triggered. No need for a new deal. What probably happened is he got tapped up by Shrewsbury for a 2 year deal (via his agent). He then knowing this went to Brown's end of season review thinking if I am staying I want to play regularly otherwise I am better off going to Shrewsbury. Brown could give that guarantee so Brown agreed to release him- something that suited both.

What this of course means is that PB has said it like it is- but I know that's not a scenario that suits. Your preferred one does suit but is also I think unlikely.

53 appearances, being shown a yellow card 24 times and a red twice and failing to trouble the scorers, as they say in that other sport.

I think you'll find he was in the team to trouble the opposition not the scorers. In striker terms he is easily a 25 troubles a season type of player.

Loved Deegs. Great to watch, techincally better than most give him credit for and a real 100% effort player. Gutted he's gone. Will defo get a good reception from me.

Must be in the minority that's glad to see the back of him, hugely over rated, and an arsehole too by all accounts

Back