• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1976 The HOT HOT Summer

Massimo Giovanni

Old Timer⭐⭐
How many of us remember the Summer of 1976?

40 years passed in a blink of an eye.

Sadly SUFC were relegated to Div 4.

But James Simon Wallis Hunt became F1 World Champion.

Barry Sheene became World Moto GP World Champion.

I had my FS1E (NVW15P) to tear around town on,O levels done, it was a scorchio summer and the beach was the place to be.

Happy happy days!

Remember it very well. The year of a very big pier fire, my nan, God bless her, died - and the two are indelibly linked for me - my dad went to pick my nan up after she had a stroke so we could look after her at home and as he drove her back from Southchurch to Hadleigh, the fire on the pier broke out. She died a few weeks later.

Remember a very good Guide camp that year also, and walking a mile to get fish and chips for supper!

Remember it very well. The year of a very big pier fire, my nan, God bless her, died - and the two are indelibly linked for me - my dad went to pick my nan up after she had a stroke so we could look after her at home and as he drove her back from Southchurch to Hadleigh, the fire on the pier broke out. She died a few weeks later.

Remember a very good Guide camp that year also, and walking a mile to get fish and chips for supper!

The night of the pier fire I was at Chivagos (or Annabellas next door) in the Vic Circus and everyone left to go to the roof of the multi storey bit by Garon's Banqueting Suite and the flames could be seen clearly from there they were that high.

Driving down to Bournmouth to see Southend play , and all the grass by the road all black for miles because of fires . I think Paul Clark made his debut , we lost 2-0 .

That was the summer I started uni, in the first week the halls had a big meeting on water shortages and how there was going to be limitations.We couldnt hear half the things being said due to the thunder crashing round us and halfwat through we had to leave the room as water was pouring under the door.
Spent the summer working at Boots in Brentwood, read about the Pier in the paper as I didnt live here at that time.

I remember the winter of 1963 more. I remember throwing the cat out the back door and it vanished!

Remember it well,great summer....was that the summer of ,i think,a LADYBIRD invasion???

The West Indies Cricket Tour that summer! :thumbsup::cool:

Can anyone name the number one record for the 6 weeks of the summer holiday. No cheating but your clue is....a duet by two people who had individual hits.

Can anyone name the number one record for the 6 weeks of the summer holiday. No cheating but your clue is....a duet by two people who had individual hits.
Elton John & Kiki Dee, 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart'. I can remember it being played on the Bembridge that Summer.

The one where Tony Greig promised to make them grovel? :smile:

(Not that I remember it myself. Wasn't born until three years later!)

Of course, though it was actually more even than people think.

Granted Old Trafford and The Oval we got our backsides tanned a bit, though on the first day at OT we had the upper hand.

Lords and Headingley we got in a position to win both and it was a comfortable draw at Trent Bridge.

Followed by 6 weeks of Dancing Queen .

Yes, that year there was a lot of Abba and tame disco. However a we were about to have big changes in the musical world as some of the bands being formed that year would include The Clash, Jam, UK Subs and the Dammed etc. Also Madness were formed in 1976.

The night of the pier fire I was at Chivagos (or Annabellas next door) in the Vic Circus and everyone left to go to the roof of the multi storey bit by Garon's Banqueting Suite and the flames could be seen clearly from there they were that high.

I remember coming back from Chelmsford (to see Essex v the Windies) and seeing it very clearly in the early evening from the top deck of a bus going back to Eastwood.

Was on the chairs that summer, IIRC.

Yep, I was at that match.

In the days when touring sides played every county and filled the ground on all 3 days! :thumbsup:

Going swimming with loads of lads& lassies,opposite i think it was called Boston Hall hotel,going for a few beers in there,midday,the back into the water to sober up.
Or once i was with Joe,sitting outside the Foresters(waiting for the stripper:smile:)being "attacked" by flying ladybirds or some sort of flying insect.
happy days

Going swimming with loads of lads& lassies,opposite i think it was called Boston Hall hotel,going for a few beers in there,midday,the back into the water to sober up.
Or once i was with Joe,sitting outside the Foresters(waiting for the stripper:smile:)being "attacked" by flying ladybirds or some sort of flying insect.
happy days

Was this opposite the beach by Chalkwell? very strange pub if I remember it at all well?

Back