• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Novak is close to signing for Shrewsbury

****ing Shrewsbury? Jeeesus. We need to pull our finger out. The name Lee Novak only really made an imprint on my consciousness when I read this thread this morning but now I am apoplectic. There is a tidal wave of talented goal aces currently flooding mediocre clubs across league one and two and we are probably still pinning our hopes on getting Noel bloody Hunt fit.

My Barnet mate says that Akinde is still contracted to them, and would attract a fee. He's no Cian Bolger, so I doubt we'd pay for him.

The rumour currently doing the rounds is that Coventry City are chasing the signatures of both John Akinde and Jay Simpson. If true, that looks like an awesome pairing on paper at least.

****ing Shrewsbury? Jeeesus. We need to pull our finger out. The name Lee Novak only really made an imprint on my consciousness when I read this thread this morning but now I am apoplectic. There is a tidal wave of talented goal aces currently flooding mediocre clubs across league one and two and we are probably still pinning our hopes on getting Noel bloody Hunt fit.

We just can't compete with Shrewsbury financially. Fairly new stadium and owners who are financially stable and willing to back the club.

Depressing how we can't compete with powerhouses like Chesterfield and Shrewsbury....cheers Ron...

Depressing how we can't compete with powerhouses like Chesterfield and Shrewsbury....cheers Ron...

One of the biggest problems is, most of the players they are snapping up are not based in the south, therefore if you had a choice between somewhere more local or completely relocating, what would you choose?

Ebanks Blake and Novak were both with the Spireites last season and we finished above them.

Your point is?

1. We assume these transfers will actually happen- many players are linked to many clubs that they are about to sign for in the media, the majority don't happen. Sometimes they do- who knows Jack might one day even go to Huddersfield who he must have signed for about 15 times by now..
2. These players may very well not even be on our target list (ignore what PB says when asked 'are we interested in?'- he will likely say we might be even if we are not- politeness, smokescreens whatever..).
3. It the agents job to get players linked with as many clubs as possible to create a 'market'.
4. As always the majority of signings we won't see coming- and PB will regard that as a good thing as other clubs weren't

Were we definitely in for Novak then? It seems harsh to slag us off for not competing with Shrews/Chesterfield if we weren't actually in for him in the first place.

That said, both clubs have new stadiums and similar gates to us, plus have one more season of L1 TV money than we have had which probably puts them in a better financial position than us.

Even Fleetwood, who are watched by two men and a dog, have a super-rich owner. Hard to see which L1 clubs we CAN compete with. Port Vale are probably one of them. They are losing players hand over fist because their chairman has cut the playing budget. They've also seen their manager walk. Would be surprised if they don't struggle next year.

We didn't compete with them because they are still in the division we left behind.

I know where I would prefer to be.

Yes this is my point- we could compete financially but look where it got them

Signing the right Strikers is easy, all we have to do is look how others do it and learn from them. So as its a slow half term week here's a little quiz for you all.

Which club signed two proven lower league strikers nice and early last season. One for £250,000 and the other for £180,000. Obviously their wages were far higher than we could offer. Your clue is..... both scored against us in L2 in 2014/15.

Name the club and where they finished.
How many goals did their team score in total last season
How many goals did the two new strikers contribute to their total.

I am not sure who is 'in the know' enough to say who we can compete with financially. We are told year on year, by the usual doom mongers, that RM is taking us to oblivion and year on year RM has supported the manager very well in terms of the squad.

All clubs want to find the 20 goal a season man but there are less of those players than there are clubs. Often, the best scenario, is to be tight at the back and have a good tally of goals from a multitude of players. As much as I believe, that under PB, our strikers have failed to score anywhere near enough, the same can be said of virtually every other position on the field.

Our conceding from set pieces far outweighs our scoring from set pieces. There are things to address all over the park. We may well not get the proven scorer we would all love but success can come from a good contribution from the midfield and defence.

Hopefully, and often it comes from an unexpected source, we might find a player that just clicks with us, either an experienced player or a rough diamond new to league football.

Cussing because sought after names pass us over for other clubs is something that happens every season and is often the chagrin of most clubs. It's more important that we manage to get the best out of whoever is with us.

Signing the right Strikers is easy, all we have to do is look how others do it and learn from them. So as its a slow half term week here's a little quiz for you all.

Which club signed two proven lower league strikers nice and early last season. One for £250,000 and the other for £180,000. Obviously their wages were far higher than we could offer. Your clue is..... both scored against us in L2 in 2014/15.

Name the club and where they finished.
How many goals did their team score in total last season
How many goals did the two new strikers contribute to their total.

Blackpool / Relegated
Redshaw scored 5, Cullen got 9

Back