• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

People still think Jack Payne should of stayed hahahaha. The bitterness towards him leaving us really has been laughable and it's still there to see.

Nope, but he has sacrificed his long term future for short term gain. He has been on two loans and both are are the level he left. Says a lot really

How has he done that?

He is paid far more than he would if he stayed with us. His promotion winning year at Huddersfield has made him a better player. Had a successful loan at Oxford. Now at Blackburn and should have an exciting 4 months with possibly another promotion or even another trip to Wembley...... But other than that of course he doesn't get to play on that famous pitch at RH.

I still think Jack was class. His touch and finishing was very good for his age. There was a goal at home just before he left where he simply gave himself a yard with a neat touch then fired the strike low past the keeper from 16 yards. Reminded me of Jack Redshaw in his hayday. Wherever he ends up he will always score goals. Pleasure to watch him and see him develop.

I still think Jack was class. His touch and finishing was very good for his age. There was a goal at home just before he left where he simply gave himself a yard with a neat touch then fired the strike low past the keeper from 16 yards. Reminded me of Jack Redshaw in his hayday. Wherever he ends up he will always score goals. Pleasure to watch him and see him develop.

That's why he should play as a forward. He will always cause debate in mid-field as there are pluses and minuses but his best work is in the box.

That's why he should play as a forward. He will always cause debate in mid-field as there are pluses and minuses but his best work is in the box.

Absolutely correct. He should have been played up front and stayed a year to two more at L1 level- then he could have got a big move that was sustainable.

He won't be played up front at Huddersfield, and on loan he will get played in the middle or number 10 role. He is not a central midfielder, never was never will be and he will get much further, and much more game time as a forward than waiting for clubs to play the system that is best for him.

There again we didn't play him up front either.

How has he done that?

He is paid far more than he would if he stayed with us. His promotion winning year at Huddersfield has made him a better player. Had a successful loan at Oxford. Now at Blackburn and should have an exciting 4 months with possibly another promotion or even another trip to Wembley...... But other than that of course he doesn't get to play on that famous pitch at RH.

He belongs to a club that don't rate him. In fact the more that season went on in the championship the less he played.

Oxford United on loan is hardly a step up. Blackburn maybe, but they also may be playing league 1 football next year.

Your right about the cash.

As for Jack Payne. I still think he is a luxury player. He is not a central midfielder, striker or winger. He only really works well I a front three behind the front two.

This will greatly hamper his chances of making more than 25 to 30 appearances in any season.

Nope, but he has sacrificed his long term future for short term gain. He has been on two loans and both are are the level he left. Says a lot really

I struggle to see where has he lost out, he hasn't gone down to a level below us? Would he have def got way better staying with us? Still getting paid more. Come up with something constructive to prove your point to make it viable.

Last edited by a moderator:
He belongs to a club that don't rate him. In fact the more that season went on in the championship the less he played.

Oxford United on loan is hardly a step up. Blackburn maybe, but they also may be playing league 1 football next year.

Your right about the cash.

As for Jack Payne. I still think he is a luxury player. He is not a central midfielder, striker or winger. He only really works well I a front three behind the front two.

This will greatly hamper his chances of making more than 25 to 30 appearances in any season.

Where does that theory come from.

The Championship was a good move for Jack but unexpectedly they are now in the PL, so loaning Jack out would make sense for him personally and for Huddersfield. Certainly doesn't mean they don't rate him

The notion that Payne should have spent more time at this level is absurd. It's the view of a Southend fan, not really an objective opinion.

Many people on here thought Huddersfield would struggle and therefore thought it was a pointless move but instead they got promoted and it's not as though Payne was frozen out of the team there; he scored some great goals early in the season and I think he also scored a vital one towards the end that helped Huddersfield into the play-offs.

Ultimately he's still a Huddersfield player and they clearly do rate him as they transferred his loan from a team going nowhere to one challenging for automatic promotion. They could easily have offloaded him last summer.

Jack Payne has been a pro for 6 seasons now.

In those 6 seasons he has averaged 25 games per season. How many of those did he come on as sub or was subbed?

How many of those games did he manage 90mins.

He is a luxury player. The stats show that.

In the right set-up he's going to be very effective but not many teams will play that way which will limit his options.

In the right set-up he's going to be very effective but not many teams will play that way which will limit his options.

Luckily for Jack he had a manger at Southend who was happy to develop him and sell him on for profit. :whistling:

Jack Payne has been a pro for 6 seasons now.

In those 6 seasons he has averaged 25 games per season. How many of those did he come on as sub or was subbed?

How many of those games did he manage 90mins.

He is a luxury player. The stats show that.
You make it sound like Payne is a veteran. He's only 23 so I would argue that 25 appearances is quite a good average bearing in mind he was a teenager when he started playing pro football. He's already made 35 appearances this season and for Oxford he scored seven goals with 12 assists.

He already has two promotions under his belt, including one from the second tier, and could get a third with Blackburn. At his age that's pretty good.

If he's a luxury player then he's a bloody good one. In fact, I would argue that the term could be seen in a positive context as well anyway. Payne has undoubtedly made an impact wherever he's been. Football matches last 90+ minutes. If one bit of magic is the difference between one point and three then he's an asset, whether he plays 65 or 25 minutes. I would love to see a player with his quality at RH, especially given the woeful rubbish we've had to put up with so far this season.

Besides, I'll always have a soft spot for Jack anyway thanks to THAT tackle in the 122nd minute at Wembley. :smile:

100% Completely agree with you YB.

You only have to go onto the Blackburn Rovers forum to see the same thing what you mentioned above.

Their fans also share this point of view, Mowbray keeps putting him out wide on the wings, and constantly looks lost and ineffective.
On the occasions he does play the role of an attacking central midfielder he comes into his element for them.

Pointless really arguing the toss on whether he should of stayed- he didn't
However, what we do know is:

We we got a very good fee for a player who currently is still playing in L1
Both his loans have been back in L1- not the Championship
He does easily fit a 442 which most on hear agree is our best formation

So putting aside what is good for him I propose it hasn't worked out too disastrously for us.

He certainly looked tenacious and able to throw himself into challenges. There is a good player in there and tonight showed he is still on the up.

So we will be facing Jack Payne again this season - he has been loaned from Huddersfield to Bradford for the coming season.

I did wonder if Blackburn would want him but it would seem not (unless people here know more details).

So, Payne left us - spent 1 season in the division above and since then has played against us for Oxford and Blackburn and now Bradford.

From the point of view of Payne's development things seem to have stagnated for him in terms of getting out of fL1, from a very mercenary point of view Ron achieved a pretty good transfer fee with hindsight.

Back