• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was there. I remember there being plenty of Geordies in our end, not even pretending to be away fans. Benji's dummy on the keeper for the final goal wasn't bad was it?

Me too. Remember the continuous rain ! What a team we had in 1992.

The home game to go top was memorable but this away game was good considering it was a defeat.Seem to recall the coach getting to Newcastle quite late so very crowded which does not happen every away game. Then getting as has been mentioned soaking wet and also seem to recall Martin's goal being a good strike from distance but that could just be my memory softening the blow of the defeat for me over the years.

Newcastle United 3-2 Southend United - August 15, 1992

The season which really got the Keegan revolution started began with United holding off a fierce Southend performance to claim a 3-2 victory.
Paul Bracewell gave the Magpies a fifth-minute lead, before Spencer Prior bundled into his own net.
Dave Martin then pulled one back for Southend, only for Lee Clark to restore United’s two-goal lead in the 70th minute.
Ian Benjamin may have bagged another for Southend, but Newcastle held on for a win - the first of 11 on the bounce that season.

My memory is seeing lots and lots of Southend scarves and fans on the congested A1 heading north on a hot Saturday morning ...... only for it to change to rain as we approached Newcastle. What a cracking team that was.

Last edited:
So the WHam! team proved to be mainly youngsters ........ so we have yet to play against a tough(ish) opponent.

I don't mean to criticise but we are a couple of weeks away now - surely we must be hoping that the Newcastle team puts us under some pressure and tests the players quite a bit - the match fitness must be building but playing against more challenging and taxing opponents helps to build up sharpness doesn't it?

So the WHam! team proved to be mainly youngsters ........ so we have yet to play against a tough(ish) opponent.

I don't mean to criticise but we are a couple of weeks away now - surely we must be hoping that the Newcastle team puts us under some pressure and tests the players quite a bit - the match fitness must be building but playing against more challenging and taxing opponents helps to build up sharpness doesn't it?

theyve been playing more or less their starting team. I expect us to get hosed!

Its getting a balance i suppose. If the opposition is too good you don't get the ball...possibly get tonked..confidence hit. As you say too easy and the opposite occurs. Newcastle should be a very tough test. As will col ewe

Get rid now, we need players fit and ready for the season. Not worth the gamble. Hoping that Murray gets a deal then look for one other.

Get rid of Nile now? That's very harsh for a player that has a slight groin strain. If we get rid of every player that has a period of injury then we will be saying good-bye to Wordsworth, McLaughlin, Tims etcetera.

Get rid of Nile now? That's very harsh for a player that has a slight groin strain. If we get rid of every player that has a period of injury then we will be saying good-bye to Wordsworth, McLaughlin, Tims etcetera.

i agree it's a bit harsh, but we have a small squad, we need players to hit the ground running. Wordsworth was a risk, but when fit is proven at this level. Neither McLaughlin or Timlin had injury history when they joined of note. I'm all for giving anyone a chance, but he hasn't done much since being with us, not compared to let's say Murray. Having been out for so long, mainly self inflicted I can't see anything other than trouble with this. I hope I'm proven wrong and if he gets the chance does well, just think maybe the wage could be spent elsewhere. Isn't he only with us on a months trial anyway?

I also think your being a bit more than a tad harsh on him.

Ironically, it's probably because he "hit the ground running" trying to get back to full fitness levels that caused he groin strain in the first place. But definitely no reason to send him packing so early, I can only guess Phil see's something on him, or he wouldn't have taken him to Spain along with the rest of the squad. That's just give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Your correct in thinking we have him on a month trial basis, which IMO makes no sense in getting rid of him any earlier, I believe he signed around the 3rd / 4th July, so we will still have him on trial for the Col Ewe match, and after that to monitor his progress and make a final decision just before the 1st game of the season.

I also think your being a bit more than a tad harsh on him.

Ironically, it's probably because he "hit the ground running" trying to get back to full fitness levels that caused he groin strain in the first place. But definitely no reason to send him packing so early, I can only guess Phil see's something on him, or he wouldn't have taken him to Spain along with the rest of the squad. That's just give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Your correct in thinking we have him on a month trial basis, which IMO makes no sense in getting rid of him any earlier, I believe he signed around the 3rd / 4th July, so we will still have him on trial for the Col Ewe match, and after that to monitor his progress and make a final decision just before the 1st game of the season.

yep fair comment, as I said I did admit as being a bit harsh.

Newcastle have just announced the squad for tomorrows game

Sels, Darlow, Janmaat, Mbemba, Saivet, Lascelles, Dummett, Sterry, Gouffran, Hayden, Shelvey, Anita, Gamez, Colback, Tiote, Aarons, Thauvin, Perez, Mitrovic, Gayle, Armstrong, Ritchie & Hanley

Looks like a strong one

Newcastle have just announced the squad for tomorrows game

Sels, Darlow, Janmaat, Mbemba, Saivet, Lascelles, Dummett, Sterry, Gouffran, Hayden, Shelvey, Anita, Gamez, Colback, Tiote, Aarons, Thauvin, Perez, Mitrovic, Gayle, Armstrong, Ritchie & Hanley

Looks like a strong one

Gulp!!!!!!:'(

Home ticket sales now at 4188 Sold. I would like to think that Newcastle will bring about 1000, so 5k plus crowd is likely.

Back