• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You're confused again.

I think what you should be taking from this article is that it's apparently possible to quickly conclude significant trade deals with countries even when one of them is not a EU member. Incredible, eh? Who would've thought it?

What I'm not confused about is that Erdogan's Turkey is a regime that imprisons journalists who are critical of his actions.

Why would the UK be so desperate to trade that they'd want to do an arms deal with him?

What I'm not confused about is that Erdogan's Turkey is a regime that imprisons journalists who are critical of his actions.

Why would the UK be so desperate to trade that they'd want to do an arms deal with him?

Brexit is the only reason that the EU has stalled its plans to allow Turkey to join.

You're confused again.

I think what you should be taking from this article is that it's apparently possible to quickly conclude significant trade deals with countries even when one of them is not a EU member. Incredible, eh? Who would've thought it?

Are you suggesting that trade is easier when the two countries belong to the same EU customs union?

Although flogging military hardware is a very different type of trade deal to a treaty covering tax, tariffs, harmonisation of regulations to remove non-tariff barriers.

Brexit is the only reason that the EU has stalled its plans to allow Turkey to join.

Do you actually believe that?

Turkey and the UK. Through the EU the UK is part of a customs union with Turkey.

I have no idea what Barna is on about, per usual.

I always saw it differently that Turkey had a partial customs union agreement with the EU (goods but not agriculture or services).

I always remember it being a one sided agreement in favour of the EU...do they have full customs rights now?

I always saw it differently that Turkey had a partial customs union agreement with the EU (goods but not agriculture or services).

I always remember it being a one sided agreement in favour of the EU...do they have full customs rights now?

We were discussing goods rather than agriculture or services.

I think it was on the EU terms (the bigger market being largely able to dictate terms in such matters).

We were discussing goods rather than agriculture or services.

I think it was on the EU terms (the bigger market being largely able to dictate terms in such matters).

I see.

I thought you were talking about Trade in general.

EU members have always supported Turkey with arms (In my memory ... and an increasing market for many) as have various others outside of the Customs union.

Turkey and the UK. Through the EU the UK is part of a customs union with Turkey.

I have no idea what Barna is on about, per usual.

"The European Union Customs Union (EUCU) is a customs union which consists of all the member states of the European Union (EU), Monaco, and some territories of the United Kingdom which are not part of the EU (Akrotiri and Dhekelia, Bailiwick of Guernsey, Bailiwick of Jersey, and the Isle of Man).[1] Some territories within the EU do not participate in the customs union, usually as a result of their geographic circumstances. Besides the EUCU, the EU, through separate agreements, is in customs unions with Andorra, San Marino, and Turkey, with the exceptions of certain goods.[2]."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Customs_Union

I was merely pointing out, (fairly obviously I would have thought), that all the 28 EU member states are part of the EU Customs Union.

SZ is of course a public discussion forum, where anyone is free to comment on anyone else's post,whether they've been invited to do so or not.

I imagine that must be galling to someone like you but them's the rules.

Last edited:
Back