• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What does a Gillingham fan being hit by a smoke bomb thrown by another Gillingham fan in the away end have to do with the W block?

It doesn't actually say who did it but even if it was a Gillingham fan it highlights an issue that getting them into the ground seems to be too easy.

My last line is just a general comment as well.

Yet again this argument rears its ugly head again. The usual thing happens:

W Block supporters get defensive and come out saying that the whole world won't revolve if it wasn't for them.

The fans who don't like W Block think that it should be disbanded because of the trouble.

W Block supporters then say that if they weren't allowed in there Roots Hall would be a library and the players would pretty much down tools.

Then people start banging about flares! They aren't flares it's smoke bombs.

Then we get some people who never post supporting w block saying everyone else is a ******.

Here's an idea guys, give the ****** signs a rest, stop trying to get at the away fans. And don't be a ****ing dicks keep bringing smoke bombs in because it's going to cost our club and it's only you guys that will suffer!

By all means get tanked up have a bit of 'bantz' with the away fans and sing up! It's all about being that 12th man and giving the team that extra boost because we bloody need it at the moment!

I think Ricey has this post pretty much spot on.:thumbsup:

I really cant think of much more that can be added to that.

At this point, I would like to say i don't sit in the W block or with the TBV, but I really like the atmosphere they create, my ideal and normal seat is about middle within the V block, and I must admit the noise they create, is infectious & does have a knock on effect to the other following blocks.

Just an idea, (probably mentioned before?) Perhaps Give the TBV the X block (which would mean rebuilding a simple 5ft brick wall) giving them a slightly smaller allocation, but yet closer to the away fans, to drown out their noise.... After all, Y & Z rarely gets used anyway!.. and still leaves a plenty of segregation for the stewards / police.... Whilst opening up the W block to all others.
I see no harm, after all... it still wont stop the complete ******* letting off smoke bombs etc.. or running across the pitch to attack away fans... they would run from the South stand if they knew they could get away with it.

Last edited:
Shut W Block, and you effectively end any positive support for our players !! Yes, there are some in there that are causing problems, but it comes with the territory i'm afraid. Isn't it the job of the stewards and the in-ground CCTV (if they can be bothered to pay for it) to police it and take away those responsible ?...not fellow supporters.

Isn't it also the job of 'responsible' W Block members to self police and kick out the idiots? Oh no we can't do that can we? Let us goad the opposition and then scarper ******** our pants if someone decides to make an issue of things. Let us let of those 'harmless' smoke bombs. Oh god what have they done now? Thrown more stewards in and more police (at a cost to the club). That is disgraceful what have we done to deserve this treatment? Those awful stewards are 'responsible' for all of this. As long as we're enjoying ourselves screw the rest and let's not worry about the possibility of issues we are creating for the club.

And the ending the positive support comment is just laughable.

I gotta say I am considering moving. Some right wallies are sitting in there now. My pet hate is boys thinking there "lads" dressed in ****ing Hollister jackets and Nike Air Force ones that there mum purchased them....at least get yourself a nice jacket and a pair of decent trotters....its part of the culture.

I forgot to add....don't watch the whole game through snapchat on your phone. You are there you 24 carrot gold plonkers...

Come on lads you cannot discredit an entire block, the only block committed to turning roots hall into a fortress and not a library... Yea you can't condone smoke bombs but the comments on here are comedy gold!

Interestingly, that report in the Medway press says there were no searches and yet, it's been stated quite clearly elsewhere that Gillingham supporters WERE seen to be searched. The kid wasn't hit by a flare, it's a smoke cannister, same as what went off in our stand and they are very small and we don't search kids.

Of course, in the old days of the North Bank, we WOULD have self-policed but it's all about me, me, me and "my" rights now. I would still hope that some of the elder W blockers would see fit to let their feelings known to the idiots that persist in doing this.

Of course, in the old days of the North Bank, we WOULD have self-policed....

Yep, in those days all you needed was a month's supply of bog rolls and you were sorted.

Did the trick and no harm done to anybody, unless it was those Jeyes tracing paper toilet sheets. Jeez, they could cause serious cuts to a man from 20 paces and no mistake!

Interestingly, that report in the Medway press says there were no searches and yet, it's been stated quite clearly elsewhere that Gillingham supporters WERE seen to be searched. The kid wasn't hit by a flare, it's a smoke cannister, same as what went off in our stand and they are very small and we don't search kids.

Of course, in the old days of the North Bank, we WOULD have self-policed but it's all about me, me, me and "my" rights now. I would still hope that some of the elder W blockers would see fit to let their feelings known to the idiots that persist in doing this.

I did hear that a few years ago, a certain Southend legend who stands at the back of the West. Thumped someone gobbing off at a young girl working in the burger bar.

Yep, in those days all you needed was a month's supply of bog rolls and you were sorted.

Did the trick and no harm done to anybody, unless it was those Jeyes tracing paper toilet sheets. Jeez, they could cause serious cuts to a man from 20 paces and no mistake!

The fashionable thing to do back in the day was to nick them out of the British Rail train toilets on the way to the game. Many a man has had a very uncomfortable journey home because of that.

Come on lads you cannot discredit an entire block, the only block committed to turning roots hall into a fortress and not a library... Yea you can't condone smoke bombs but the comments on here are comedy gold!

Shut up you thug YOOOOOOF

I told the steward who the lad was who done it, then watched as that same lad enjoyed the rest of the game from another part of the block. They didn't do nothing.

I find this incredibly annoying. I stand direct behind you 3 or 4 rows back and saw the steward talking to you. I always have had the impression (rightly or wrongly) that that particular steward doesn't take any crap, so I am amazed and disappointed that they didn't throw the kid out . Even if the club does something retrospectfully it will 'appear' that nothing has been done. If I had seen who had done it like you I would have pinpointed him to the stewards, there is no defence for their behaviour. The only thing I would add is that I had always assumed that if a smoke bomb was set off within 12 feet of me I would be able to tell who had done it - which wasn't the case

Shut the W block and the problems will disappear. On the other hand throw some proper flares around sounds like a right laugh.

Indeed, it was even announced after about the arrest

What ever happened to making your ground atmosphere as uncomfortable and intimidating for the away team as possible, thereby giving your own team an advantage. 12th man an all that etc..............They seem to do it so much better now in every other country bar ours. All down to the useless nannny state we live in. !!!:angry:

What ever happened to making your ground atmosphere as uncomfortable and intimidating for the away team as possible, thereby giving your own team an advantage. 12th man an all that etc..............They seem to do it so much better now in every other country bar ours. All down to the useless nannny state we live in. !!!:angry:

And letting a smoke bomb off makes the opposition uncomfortable and intimidated how exactly?

I was certainly made to feel uncomfortable when walking to the stadium surrounded by gills fans poking me calling me a ****.....

There's idiots from all teams guys just need the proper security in place to deal with them (and not be an idiot like myself getting caught up in a big boozy group of football supporters!)

Apparently according to the Southend Evening Echo report it sounds like the Gillingham fan was arrested first for being drunk and then they found the smoke bomb on him. It can be a custodial sentence for trying to get a smoke bomb into a football ground.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/146...e_smoke_grenade_into_Southend_United_stadium/

Back