• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Improving the Olympics

Didn't Jilly Cooper write about sex with horses? Or something like that.

Not quite :blush:

You want to ban two athletes (who aren't professionals) who contributed to maybe the Top 5 moments in the last two summer games?!:hilarious:

But where do you draw the line? Annual earnings would seem to be an attempt to keep things on a more even playing field, as it were. If you said amateurs only (which, in my opinion, is what it should be), then that would take out some athletes who are professional - we were having this discussion at work the other day, and I was assured that several of our athletes are exactly that. Maybe the line between professional and amateur is too indistinct these days?

Reduce the out of control funding. We sent something like 366 people to Rio, at a cost of around £860,000 per person. Since 2012 we have lost over 2,000 sports facilities in Britain.

Not quite :blush:

But where do you draw the line? Annual earnings would seem to be an attempt to keep things on a more even playing field, as it were. If you said amateurs only (which, in my opinion, is what it should be), then that would take out some athletes who are professional - we were having this discussion at work the other day, and I was assured that several of our athletes are exactly that. Maybe the line between professional and amateur is too indistinct these days?

the olympics hasn't be amateur only for ages. I think the idea that sports should only be in the olympics if it's clearly the pinnacle for that sport is probably the only way to pitch it, and that gets rid of tennis, golf, football, basketball, rugby union and league, some forms of cricket.

For track and field the olympics is the absolute pinnacle, and you want the best people competiting.

The only reason Mo earns as much as he does is because he's good. Using your model you'd then have athletes who are close to earning too much having to not race leading up to the games just in case their prize money put them over the limit. Moreover, you'd have athletes trying to make sure someone wins in order to force them out of the games.

I know what you're trying to achieve, but IMO it's a) impossible, b) unnecessary, and c) penalises people for being good.

I would hope that all competitors will wear there shorts three-quarters of the way down their backsides, thus displaying a serious amount of pant

They do wear baggy clothing for the snowboarding at the winter olympics so I'm sure they won't disappoint you.

Talking of that, one thing that made me laugh was a snowboarder who was, according to the commentators, really cool because he was competing in the half pipe at the olympics with his headphones on. He completely wiped out and was trying really hard not to look like he was in pain. He didn't look so cool then!

The only reason Mo earns as much as he does is because he's good. Using your model you'd then have athletes who are close to earning too much having to not race leading up to the games just in case their prize money put them over the limit. Moreover, you'd have athletes trying to make sure someone wins in order to force them out of the games.

I know what you're trying to achieve, but IMO it's a) impossible, b) unnecessary, and c) penalises people for being good.

At least you appreciate that, rather than just laughing your socks off. I guess the ones that get me most are the footballers, Andy Murray and the golfers.

Spoiler:  
Professional is relative as well.
In the 50s when the Olympics were amateur only, my father was pipped for selection by a full time cyclist, but he was not considered professional as he was in the Armed forces, he trained during the day, went round the world racing for the Army ate well and was rested but was not considered professional.
Dad was winning several canteens of cutlery a year whilst holding down a full time job in a factory, but wasn't allowed to sell them as that would have been deemed professional......

At least you appreciate that, rather than just laughing your socks off. I guess the ones that get me most are the footballers, Andy Murray and the golfers.

The tennis players want to play to them it's one of the best things they can win. They treat it as a masters that only comes around one every 4 years. They all want to win it hence why they all play in it!

So the shot put final of the Diamond League tonight isn't taking place in the stadium in Brussels, but in the Grand Place. That's more like it!

Back