• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All this "I heard a whisper" drivel - is par for the course in social media.#
Facts? We won 3-1. End of!

Not drivel and not whispers. We did win 3-1, full credit to Cocko and Barrett for galvanising the squad. Their celebrations on Saturday show how together the players are and that will hopefully keep us up with ease. Fact is though that relationship between manager and players/assistant manager is very strained and that kind of situation cannot be healthy in the long run.

OMG.... so many sucked in by this win? Saying we are working as a team.... it's Brown out then Brown in.... one swallow......

What's the matter? Reality not backing up your ill-informed theories and rash baseless statements? Why not just enjoy the result and the performance (where you there by the way?), and hope that it continues.

Firstly, what a result and performance! Must admit when I saw the line up I thought we were in for a long afternoon but the manager obviously saw in training that this team could do the business and they certainly did!

Now to address the less positive aspects of the thread. My opinion (for what it's worth and from inside info I have heard) is that there has been a strained relationship between PB and the players. I have also heard that PB still has very strong backing from Ron and was never anywhere near losing his job. Perhaps this has become clear to the supporters and they realise PB is here for a while yet and they all need to just get on with it?

Edited to reflect my feeling....

PB may well have fallen out with some of the players, but so what, he's not employed to be popular with the players.
They have already proved on Saturday they are good enough and lots of people (including professional footballers) work hard for managers they don't like who have the support of the top brass.

Not trying in order to get someone the sack is just not an option. Trying your absolute best in order to prove the manager wrong is fine of course.

UTB

Brown named manager of the week by the Football League Paper....

Not drivel and not whispers. We did win 3-1, full credit to Cocko and Barrett for galvanising the squad. Their celebrations on Saturday show how together the players are and that will hopefully keep us up with ease. Fact is though that relationship between manager and players/assistant manager is very strained and that kind of situation cannot be healthy in the long run.

I don't give a rats behind about that. It didn't harm Fergie for 26 years, did it?

When I was a manager, sometimes my relationship was strained with the players, if they didn't give a 100% or made stupid errors. Players really have the managers career in their hands, hence why I cant abide it when I see players not giving 100% because of their dislike for the manager. As Ive said on another thread, they are employees of the Club and the fans.

Now don't get me wrong, I am in no way saying some of these defeats are all because of the players, tactics have to be questioned as well, but when the players cross that white line, they have to accept some responsibility. Watching individual errors from the touchline are so so frustrating , the manager, rightly so of course, as is his remit, carries the can for these mistakes in the long term. This is another reason why previously I have stated that I have felt it unfair that historically PB has been criticised for defeats, yet victories have been in spite of him.

I like to see a balance.

As someone said, the Roots Halls was bouncing, it felt United, between us and the players and the players and the management "team"... the players would have got a standing ovation if they had played exactly the same, but still lost, however if the latter, PB still may have paid for the result ( not the performance ) with his job. Very very fine line between defeats and victory !

Just a thought here.

As I said earlier, if Brown had lost the dressing room then there was little evidence of it on Saturday.

Also, there is no point in getting rid now, not whilst the transfer window doesn't re-open for a few months.

Even then, it my well be that RM will still decide to back Brown; it will be expensive to get rid.

However, if - and it's a big if - the players really don't want to play for him, what better way to get rid than to get as high up the table as possible? That will enhance Brown's stock and he'll get a job at another club in a higher division. That way the club get compensation rather than paying it. Plus we will be doing well in the league.

Win-win.

Just a thought here.

As I said earlier, if Brown had lost the dressing room then there was little evidence of it on Saturday.

Also, there is no point in getting rid now, not whilst the transfer window doesn't re-open for a few months.

Even then, it my well be that RM will still decide to back Brown; it will be expensive to get rid.

However, if - and it's a big if - the players really don't want to play for him, what better way to get rid than to get as high up the table as possible? That will enhance Brown's stock and he'll get a job at another club in a higher division. That way the club get compensation rather than paying it. Plus we will be doing well in the league.

Win-win.

That is probably the biggest If in Iftown on a very Iffy day. All things are possible I suppose including Mooney scoring more than 20 goals this season.

Last edited:
That is probably the biggest If in Iftown on a very Iffy day. All things are possible I suppose including Mooney scoring more than 20 goals this season.

It was a bit tongue in cheek really... I'm not one for conspiracy theories. But I said last week that either way I didn't think Brown would be here much longer... he'll either get us out of it and move on up or leave us in it and get sacked.

I know what I'd rather.

I think you've misunderstood. I'm English from Southend and supported the "Blues" avidly for 45 years.
Felt this gave me the right to voice my opinion. Just disappointed, but not surprised anymore, that 4 or 5 games into a new season, a "fresh start" if you will. There are an element of our support that wants to sack the manager, berate almost every player "not worth the shirt" mentality and all around put everything about the club down.

Call me old fashioned, but want to support my club through these frustrating times and play my part. That way, when things turn around, you can feel part of it. Still 38 league games to go, lots of football to be played.
Time for me to focus on supporting SUFC, nothing else. COYB !!!

Glad we've moved on since these days. Next game for me Port Vale at home. Can't wait.

Back