• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Big Sam In Big Trouble?

Totally agree, I'm not saying Sam is totally innocent. He's an idiot for falling for the trap and blabbing his mouth to two strangers about stuff he shouldn't be. The fact is that why are the press constantly targeting the England manager, it's a constant vendetta and we wonder why we haven't had success since 66. If you play for England or manage them you are just under constant scrutiny.

I think when the paper began their investigation,somebody in the know gave them several names and Sam must have been on that list,the paper then set up the meet and silly Sam did the rest.

Being England manager carries the extra burden of media intrusion,right or wrong that is the nature of that job.

As a side note,The FA are just as bad simply because they allowed the nation to take part in the Russian WC,money money money.

Totally agree, I'm not saying Sam is totally innocent. He's an idiot for falling for the trap and blabbing his mouth to two strangers about stuff he shouldn't be. The fact is that why are the press constantly targeting the England manager, it's a constant vendetta and we wonder why we haven't had success since 66. If you play for England or manage them you are just under constant scrutiny.

I can't speak for every country, but Spain's manager certainly gets a fair share of scrutiny from the press and it didn't stop them winning a bundle of trophies in recent years.

I can't speak for every country, but Spain's manager certainly gets a fair share of scrutiny from the press and it didn't stop them winning a bundle of trophies in recent years.

But has that only been recently when they started to struggle? Was he getting the stick before the Euro and World Cup double and during those successes?

But has that only been recently when they started to struggle? Was he getting the stick before the Euro and World Cup double and during those successes?

Spain has a number of national sports newspapers. The two big Madrid based ones - AS and Marca - keep very close tabs on the national team and are just as demanding as our own press.

I'm sure the press in Germany, Italy, Netherlands, etc. hardly give the national coach a free ride.

EDIT - Just remembered. Having read L'Equipe during Euro 2016, the French press don't take any prisoners either.

What makes you say that? I'm not convinced myself, but interested to hear the case.

Germany WC2006 - Took over after a terrible Euro 2004 and overcame a campaign against him, qualified well and got a transitional team to the semi finals, dropping old legends such as Oliver Kahn, and bringing some quality youngsters through at the right time, including Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mertesacker and Podolski. They went on to boss the tournament before being knocked out in the semis against eventual champions Italy.

Then went to Munich where he had mixed success but he continues to be credited for putting the foundations in for developing young talent, which has been a contributor to the success of Munich for the last 10 seasons.

US - Won the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2013. Ok the quality isn't the best, but still a win. Excellent performance at WC2014, getting through the group of death with Germany, Portugal and Ghana after beating Ghana, drawing with Portugal and narrowly losing to eventual winners Germany (although Germany had qualified). The US then took Belgium to extra time in the round of 16 before losing.

Klinsmann:
- has a good to excellent track record managing national teams to qualification and through knockout tournaments.
- has the ability to get the best out of relatively average players
- isn't afraid to drop 'stars' (Kahn, Donovan etc)
- has a record as a player which will garner the respect of any fell professional
- understands and supports youth development and bringing players through
- is used to dealing with a difficult media
- isn't going to get stung by undercover reporters
- will wind up the '10 german bombers' meatheads who sadly support England.
- managed to beat Iceland this year.

There are plenty of questionmarks about him as well (tactically, and ability to handle 'stars'), but his CV ticks a lot of what England need, IMO.

Sam's first interview,he states "entrapment won",really !

He is claiming entrapment and apologised for being caught more or less,the mind boggles.

Germany WC2006 - Took over after a terrible Euro 2004 and overcame a campaign against him, qualified well and got a transitional team to the semi finals, dropping old legends such as Oliver Kahn, and bringing some quality youngsters through at the right time, including Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mertesacker and Podolski. They went on to boss the tournament before being knocked out in the semis against eventual champions Italy.

The Germans really did qualify well for the 2006 World Cup. They didn't lose a game in qualifying and had it wrapped up several years before the tournament started.

Klinnsman!! No thanks...
Just before the 2006,German world cup,Beckenbaurer and others wanted him sacked:im talking about a month or two before it started.
sacked by Bayern,they were very pleased to get rid off and to mess things up at Bayern,is bloody hard.
Think someone wrote...the Yanks want rid off him as well!!
So sacked by Germany,Bayern and maybe the US....but good enough for England.Hope not,but we are in trouble..Southgate!!Bruce!!!!the Palace manager!!!
May throw my hat into the ring,coz in the early 70s,i had a subbuteo team which i won over 80% of the games.

Thing is it would take a very poor manager to not win the next 4 games- Malta, Scotland etc. So we wont learn much if Southgate wins them all, unless we win all by 5 or 6 goals.

Thing is it would take a very poor manager to not win the next 4 games- Malta, Scotland etc. So we wont learn much if Southgate wins them all, unless we win all by 5 or 6 goals.
Spain? May be a friendly but that will be the real test of his credentials.

I can't believe people were seriously defending big Sam. In my line of work not only would it be instant dismissal, it would finish my career in finance. You'd have thought after Venables and Sven there would have been half a brain cell smelling a rat. As for next England manager I've enjoyed the last few years of English management and I think we have a promising squad. I'd hate to think we would appoint non-English again as that would mean me resuming a watching a following boycott on principle.

The FA can hire Mickey Mouse for all it matters. England will never win anything in my lifetime.

The FA can hire Mickey Mouse for all it matters. England will never win anything in my lifetime.

That's the spirit!

I don't think we are likely to be the best team in the world or Europe but when Greece and that terrible Portugal side can win trophies then I wouldn't write us off completely

That's the spirit!

I don't think we are likely to be the best team in the world or Europe but when Greece and that terrible Portugal side can win trophies then I wouldn't write us off completely

So we need to be a bit rubbish to win anything then.

Well, that's the next World Cup coming home. :happy:

That's the spirit!

Very true,

When Roy was appointed I stated on here it would end in tears,he was a terrible choice,ditto Steve Mac and Cappello too,Sven bottled it against Brazil,if he had decided to attack we could have actually won the WC IMO.

Howe IMO is the man,young forward thinking and plays the game in the right way,new broom required and EH may just be the guy to do it.Rooney and others need to be binned forever.

Saw Stokes' Peter Coates chipping off yesterday about the need to clean up football.

Yes, Peter Coates. He of bet365 fame.

Because they're squeaky clean and don't look to bend the rules whatsoever.

Police going ahead with investigation into corruption by Prem, former Prem, and Champ managers past and present. I wonder who is for the chop.

Southgate announced as new permanent England manager, least until the press dig up some salubrious story about him.

Back