• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That save by Ox in the final minutes was pure reaction and actually pure class! Thought he looked good and even when he had the bit on the edge of the box you'd have to say the bloke did well as he pressured them into blazing over the bar!
Anton looked good, a little podgy but he reads the game well and I loved the fact he came over after McGlaughlan was cleaned from behind and then when the Oxford fans boo'd he almost gave it to them as well!!
mooney put in another big shift as did the two wingers!
special mention to WW in CM who just added a little bit of class we had been missing!

Why did Innis glass someone? He's massive he must of been in a fight with the big show and Andre the giant!

all in all a great win and a very very good 3 points

That was bloody awful. But a win is a win. Fortunately, we will not play a worse side all season. Oxford simply did not turn up and for long periods in the first half it looked like we were playing, well, us. No tempo to their attacking and, with us having decided pre-game to sit so deep, it looked simple for us to mop things up. Poor David Mooney, so isolated and he put in a good shift. The wingers did well to try and be in two places at once but unfortunately they were being asked to tuck in so Coker and Demetriou had absolutely no options when they had the ball in wide positions.

The players played well on the whole. I was impressed by Inniss and Ferdinand and McGlashan had his best game I have seen (missed Millwall). But the setup was bizarre for a home game against a newly promoted side - it looks like we have accepted our relegation battle and we looked like we were playing for a point, or not to concede. No interest from Brown in attacking.

We were extremely lucky that Oxford were off their game. Their finishing was dreadful and they gave the ball away an awful lot. Oxley had a very decent game, I was impressed with a moment in the second half when our defence went to sleep and they got through with a long ball. He was out fast, forced their lad out wide and then closed down the midfielder on the edge of the box, forcing him to shoot wide. The spillage down to his left in the first half was a mistake (although it was a well struck low shot from 15 yards) but it was the only one he made. Some good saves in the second half.

I'll get shot down for being negative - believe me I am delighted it is the first win I have seen in 6 months - but that was a League Two game.

I know its all about opinions. Hope you haven't forgot your parachute :winking:

They every game, season ticket holder. Spilled ball first half, good tip over second half. From the south upper, couldn't see what other saves he made

Perhaps it was that Brown Out banner blocking your view. Or maybe its just your view that stops you giving anyone some credit.

Never went.

Handy win though...well done to everybody.

Thank you, 'MrsBlue'.

I always feel I play my part.

Sampled the RH coffee from the South tea bar, so the club got a bit more money from me. Not a bad brew, in truth. I commend it to the house.

There every game, season ticket holder. Spilled ball first half, good tip over second half. From the south upper, couldn't see what other saves he made

So your criticism of Oxley is based on a fumbled save that went through many pairs of legs etc.....he did nothing else wrong in the first half. In the second half By your own admission you couldn't see the saves he made, two of which were very good, he handled well, came off his line a couple of times. Think you have been very harsh if you are basing your opinion on one fumble in 90mins.

Hard fought win last night. It probably wasn't the prettiest performance, but it was edge of the seat stuff. Thought we were living dangerously on a number of occasions and it was probably just as well Oxley pulled a decent performance out of the hat and Oxford's shooting skills rival ours :stunned: Still, it was a confidence boosting 3 points and takes us right out of the drop zone. Our squad is good enough, better than good enough, and we should be at the top of the table not the bottom with this crop of players! For me, much as it is lovely to see Wordy back, for me his game is far too similar to Lennys, and between them they weren't able to control midfield, which I still believe is our biggest on the pitch issue. We urgently need Timlin back. When we do, the current formation should work much better, as Tims will be able to boss the central midfield and release players like Lenny and Wordy to be more effective in the channels.

Ratings

Oxley - 8 - good performance, Thought he did well, and made some crucial saves. For the record he was absolutely not to blame for their goal, that was the defence not concentrating! He did well to rise about the boo-boy idiots who were clearly determined to give him a hard time. Not justified, give the lad a chance!

Demetriou - 8 MOM Glad to see him on the pitch after the red card was rescinded yesterday. Put in a good shift, and has really impressed me since he arrived.
Barrett - 8 Usual AB, committed and a strong leader
Ferdinand - 8 Pure class! He has definately still got 'it', tired in the last 20 minutes unsurprisingly. Lovely to see the same encouragement and arm round the shoulder advice to other players, something that AB has also long done. Anton has loads of experience to pass on and looks like he is happy to share it. Good to see a player of this class and calibre in a Southend shirt.
Inniss - 7 I can see him being a really good signing, and a definite upgrade on Thompson. A man mountain if ever I saw one, he is huge!
Coker - 7 put in a good shift again, and won us the penalty through a clever bit of thinking. Their defender didn't have a hope there. Something isn't right though, he hasn't looked happy for a while, and it is affecting his game.
Leonard - 7.5 Beautifully taken goal. More please...
Wordsworth - 7.5 Good to see him back.
McLaughlin - 7.5 didn't stop running, got into some decent positions and offers some much needed creativity.
McGlashan - 8 worked hard. Had a great first half, faded out a bit in the second, so not totally surprised he was subbed.

Mooney - 7.5 isolated up front, worked hard despite this, but he isn't a one up front type of player, unless he is frequently getting the ball delivered to his feet... Which isn't happening!

Subs -

O'Neill - 7 decent performance
Atkinson - 7 offers something different to Wordy, put in a good performance.

Ref - 6 thought he had lost control at one point, lost count of the number of cards he flashed. Some interesting decisions...

Lovely to be back at RH under the floodlights, there's definitely something about the atmosphere. Recent performances had obviously got to some of the doom and gloom merchants because they seemed to have pretty much stayed at home, didn't hear one call/shout of derision or criticism all night - it made it positively pleasant!

Oxley - 7, thought he had a good game. Still some worrying moments, and he doesn't instil a lot of confidence but he did ok, with one exceptional save and I also thought he did well coming well out of his area to thwart their breaking forward.
Demetriou - 7.5, some very good runs and chases forward, still don't think he's at White's level defensively though.
Inniss - 7, how nice it is to see a proper unit of a defender, it scares oppositions when we're attacking their goal! I'd like to see Lenny's long throws aimed to him to nod on rather than Barrett. Looked a bit rusty to start but grew into it, got terrible cramp near the end.
Ferdinand - 7.5, a very solid and sensible performance. Didn't look fazed by anything and marshalled things very well, also like him staying back, much prefer to have a proper defender staying back.
Barrett - 7, can't doubt his commitment and passion but I really think he shouldn't be playing every game now, he got turned inside out a couple of times and looked to be stuck in the mud on occasion too, however, he had an excellent opportunity saved and continues to make a nuisance of himself in attack.
Coker - 7, thought he was probably the most pressured of the defence, some good runs forward
Leonard - 7.5, a good performance from Lenny to mark his 200th and a cracking goal too - get him signed up on an improved contract asap!
Wordsworth - 8, MOTM, delighted to see Woody back. Some good tackling, broke a lot up. 1st card was never a yellow, should possibly have had an unfortunate 2nd though so on balance ok. Good to see CMs pushing forward and have someone confident taking the penalty - he used to take them for Colchester. Also good to see him organising and motivating people - not been enough of that recently.
McLaughlin - 7, a quietish game for Macca, thought he did ok when he had the ball but it seemed to go out to the opposite side more often than not. Couple of decent forays forward.
McGlashan - 8, close runner up for MOTM, worked tirelessly and looked a threat. Surprised Oxford only left one defender up with him when we were defending a corner.
Mooney - 7.5, worked tirelessly, not sure anyone ran more than he did last night. The ref was dreadful towards him though, how could he and the lino not see what everyone else in the ground could? Unlucky not to score.

Subs:
O'Neil for McGlashan - 7.5, one absolutely superb tackle just after he'd come on and played a big part in the move from which we got the penalty.
Atkinson for Wordsworth - 7, came on and did what was needed.

Officials:
Well, what can I say? Just truly awful referee, why do we get such dreadful ones so often?

Ferdinand - 8 Pure class! He has definately still got 'it', tired in the last 20 minutes unsurprisingly. Lovely to see the same encouragement and arm round the shoulder advice to other players, something that AB has also long done. Anton has loads of experience to pass on and looks like he is happy to share it. Good to see a player of this class and calibre in a Southend shirt.

You could hear him shouting and encouraging quite a bit during the game.

Think him and AB will be great for Inniss. Tremendous experience around him, which will help his game grow.

That save by Ox in the final minutes was pure reaction and actually pure class! Thought he looked good and even when he had the bit on the edge of the box you'd have to say the bloke did well as he pressured them into blazing over the bar!
Anton looked good, a little podgy but he reads the game well and I loved the fact he came over after McGlaughlan was cleaned from behind and then when the Oxford fans boo'd he almost gave it to them as well!!
mooney put in another big shift as did the two wingers!
special mention to WW in CM who just added a little bit of class we had been missing!

Why did Innis glass someone? He's massive he must of been in a fight with the big show and Andre the giant!

all in all a great win and a very very good 3 points

You loved the fact Ferdinand came over when McGlaughlan went over? He ran the length of the pitch to get involved, and started facing up..... something you should never do, as that's intent..Adam B marching him away..... you sound like X block..

There every game, season ticket holder. Spilled ball first half, good tip over second half. From the south upper, couldn't see what other saves he made

So your criticism of Oxley is based on a fumbled save that went through many pairs of legs etc.....he did nothing else wrong in the first half. In the second half By your own admission you couldn't see the saves he made, two of which were very good, he handled well, came off his line a couple of times. Think you have been very harsh if you are basing your opinion on one fumble in 90mins.

If you read my post again, I did say he made a good tip over in the second half. With the ball pinging about in the box and loads of bodies, it's not always easy to see who clears what but if you were close enough to see Oxley make other good saves then I'll take your word for it. There wasn't really too much visible to see as Oxfords finishing in the second half was woeful, high and wide

The spill in the first half wasn't through many pairs of legs, he had a clear view and it went straight to him, albeit quite hard.

My son has observed that Oxley seems to dive a bit late to things and if you look closely, you can see it. That split second can make all the difference.

He was never good enough to be up for MOM, Leonard or Wordsworth and possibly even Mooney should be up for that accolade

Perhaps it was that Brown Out banner blocking your view. Or maybe its just your view that stops you giving anyone some credit.

Heading for another lockdown there Rigsby. Can't help yourself can you

Don't give it out if you can't take it back dave.

So tell me where I gave out in my post? You are the one that gave it out in your reply to my post. All your credibility has gone now Rigsby, and respect I used to have for you has left the building

If you read my post again, I did say he made a good tip over in the second half. With the ball pinging about in the box and loads of bodies, it's not always easy to see who clears what but if you were close enough to see Oxley make other good saves then I'll take your word for it. There wasn't really too much visible to see as Oxfords finishing in the second half was woeful, high and wide

The spill in the first half wasn't through many pairs of legs, he had a clear view and it went straight to him, albeit quite hard.

My son has observed that Oxley seems to dive a bit late to things and if you look closely, you can see it. That split second can make all the difference.

He was never good enough to be up for MOM, Leonard or Wordsworth and possibly even Mooney should be up for that accolade

Yes I said he was shakey apart from a couple of saves, no I don't trust him as our keeper, I was told I hate him, hate is a strong word I don't use, you are right Mooney worked and worked, ok he did not get a goal...but possibly mom.

Once again watching a single match with The Blues ought to be re-branded as watching 2 different half games lumped together.
In the first half we played some good, and very good passing football where Demi, Len and WW got forward to give us at least 6 attacking and getting Ox on the back foot. Players took shots on (including Adam B) and we chase and harried non stop. Len's goal IS a goal of season contender for sure. We ought to have been out of sight.
Our main poor moment was the hard working WW taking a silly dive and being, rightly booked.

Ox score in 4th minute of 2 minutes of extra time while half our players are holding discussion group!

2nd half and either Ox changed or we had too many pies that the players needed to eat in the break. Midfield disappeared, Oxley and back 3 had to lump long balls forward, which came straight back. The defence got out of shape too often with confusion of tasks, their No10 Maguire ran the show. Our wing backs forgot (largely) about looking for space and working with the Mac(s).
Up until the 75th minute only Ox were going to win it and then the consistent but poor ref gave his upteenth handball and WW took an assured pen.
Hanging on, hanging on and we STOLE the extra 2 points - some you win and some you draw- we got "lucky."

I won't do ratings as no player had a stinker and all worked hard - if sometimes without a purpose in the 2nd half that went beyond clearing the ball up field, anywhere.

Some feedback; Coker-get the ball across quicker, you don't need to beat the same player 2/3 times.
Demi - head up, look to recieve a short ball from the back 3.
Back 3- make some more noises, demand the midfield and front players move and give you options rather than the hoof that comes straight back.
Middies-talk to each other, keep getting forward like you did 1st half, take the long shots on.
Mooney - remember you are a No9, the shirt says it, good team play BUT get greedy/hungry for your own goals/glory; take a shot on AND keep up the much improved work rate.

Phil; quit arguing with the officials - you won't win and it does not do anyone any good.

According to the BBC we had 13 shots of which 8 were on target, Oxford had 17 but only 5 on target so looks like we had the advantage.

So excluding the penalty, their gk saved 6 of 7. Oxley saved 4 of 5. Unless they were all world class, I would not expect that to be a mom performance. (I was not there so can't really comment)

I would say a good performance that I would expect from my gk really.

Back