• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I hate to spoil the fun but I guess there will be question marks over this in the event of relegation (which even the most rose-tinted poster on here must admit is a serious possibility).

Yep, but please don't deprive me of that relatively short period of the season when I can visualise us needing 4 points from our last two matches to sneak into the play-offs

He played games under sturrock.at right back. And a couple out wide out of necessity. Brown played him centrally first.
No he didn't. He only played right back under Sturrock in friendlies. Sturrock was the first to play him in the middle.

Ryan Leonard played wide right midfield under Sturrock in his first season and may not have been totally convincing in that role as his appearance as a sub in the away leg of the Crewe play off was not well received by Southend fans that were present.
Certainly not the first Southend player to be initially unpopular then change people's minds.
Personally I prefer to make an initial negative judgement on a player, ideally before he's even played for us, even better if I can base it on the opinion of someone's mate who once saw him play for a previous club, and then I will steadfastly refuse to change my opinion regardless of the evidence.
ps extension clauses usually work in the clubs favour i.e. club can automatically trigger it

Best to look them up on Wikipedia then twist the stats or even lie completely and that way you can encourage others who have an anti club/PB agenda to hate the player as well. :winking:

Ryan Leonard played wide right midfield under Sturrock in his first season and may not have been totally convincing in that role as his appearance as a sub in the away leg of the Crewe play off was not well received by Southend fans that were present.
Certainly not the first Southend player to be initially unpopular then change people's minds.

I'm not aware he was ever unpopular, people may have been a bit sceptical but those of us who saw the stunning pre-season he had probably had a lot more faith in him to come good.

Not first team games.

Other than his habit of getting sent off against Bradford, the excellent Clohessy was ever present for three seasons.

Leonard was used almost entirely in midfield by Sturrock. I say almost entirely, because he actually had one game up front (away at Rotherham?).

Leonard was indeed used in midfield by Sturrock but nearly always on the right and very rarely as first choice. He was generally used as cover when others were injured and never got a long run of consecutive games.

It is Brown that has converted him into a central midfielder and played him whenever he is fit.

The above may well have happened under Sturrock had he stayed but there is no denying that Leonard has developed under Brown who has turned him into a key member of the team.

I think other players also played better under Brown , Corr and Timlin as well as Lenny are those players , also Payne improved over a very short period of time as well

This will get shot down , but people that knock Brown and his handling of players ( from the outside looking in hasten to add ) also have to give a balanced critic as well when there are and have been positives as well .

With his defensive background, pace, height and reading of the game I'm surprised he hadn't been encouraged to play CB before now. I think he had the potential to be absolutely top class, ball playing Centre Back with necessary coaching. At 24 prob a little late now. Still expect him to be playing Championship football next year though and injury permitting should have a great career, albeit without hitting quite the sam heights as CM as always a little limited in that role for Prem. Just think possible missed opportunity a couple of years back.

Back