• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hard or Soft Brexit?

What should happen?

• Hard Brexit

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • Soft Brexit

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Another referendum on the terms of the Brexit deal

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Forget it all and remain

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Bart

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters
Good call. Forgot all about that gutless wonder.

There were many faults with de Gaulle. (Incidently, when I started the brocante I used to be friends with a colleague who was a descendant of de Gaulle......Aymon PLAYE de BOISSIEU.............really nice bloke, pity he was a Royalist and a bit of a fascist!) Anyway, in the end, one thing de Gaulle was probably right about was keeping the UK out of the EEC when they saw it was a success and eventually decided they'd like to join. I think he considered that Britain was too closely tied to the USA and not really committed to Europe..........not far off the mark was he?

There were many faults with de Gaulle. (Incidently, when I started the brocante I used to be friends with a colleague who was a descendant of de Gaulle......Aymon PLAYE de BOISSIEU.............really nice bloke, pity he was a Royalist and a bit of a fascist!) Anyway, in the end, one thing de Gaulle was probably right about was keeping the UK out of the EEC when they saw it was a success and eventually decided they'd like to join. I think he considered that Britain was too closely tied to the USA and not really committed to Europe..........not far off the mark was he?

Depends on your point of view I suppose. DeGaulle seemed absolutely fine with the UK when he scuttled over here when Germany invaded. Now there was a show of leadership if ever I saw one. He changed his mind on our hospitality after he kissed and made up with former enermies and dropped allies like hot potatoes and attempted more than one block on our entry to the common market.

Did he foresee the future? Nah, just didn't like us.

The notion that anybody could still support remaining a member of or paying anymore money to this ridiculous little Brussels club after seeing M. Barnier's comments today is a total mystery to me.

****, you've seen it already?! Come on then, spill the beans.
Oh wait, you're just guessing right? Same old...

"He did not put a figure on the bill, which reports suggest could amount to as much as €60bn (£52bn)."

I suppose we could always start a SZ poll to see who gets the nearest to the correct figure.:smiles:

I thought this was a good opinion piece in the Scotsman. Although I voted remain there was much about the EU I hated. I'm quite happy with the way things have gone so far. My guess is when all the posturing has finished we end up with a free trade deal (after all central to the Tory philosophy is free trade), the ability to say who comes in to the UK (and this will include all those EU nationals who are willing to do the jobs we won't do) and sovereignty for our parliament. What we won't have is the EU bureaucracy and Juncker which seems a win win. It will cost but it's a cost as long as it's reasonable that I'm prepared to pay. If only the Greeks had had the guts to do this.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...nted-was-not-on-the-eu-ballot-paper-1-4402055

However much it is it'll be worth every single Cent :finger:

He's right you know Barna :thumbsup:

Ah.But He's not you know.

I thought this was a good opinion piece in the Scotsman. Although I voted remain there was much about the EU I hated. I'm quite happy with the way things have gone so far. My guess is when all the posturing has finished we end up with a free trade deal (after all central to the Tory philosophy is free trade), the ability to say who comes in to the UK (and this will include all those EU nationals who are willing to do the jobs we won't do) and sovereignty for our parliament. What we won't have is the EU bureaucracy and Juncker which seems a win win. It will cost but it's a cost as long as it's reasonable that I'm prepared to pay. If only the Greeks had had the guts to do this.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...nted-was-not-on-the-eu-ballot-paper-1-4402055

Don't think I've ever heard anyone argue that the EU is a perfect union.

Negotiations about leaving haven't even started yet of course.

Don't think anyone who voted leave voted to become poorer.That's inevitably what will happen.

Ah.But He's not you know.

Don't think I've ever heard anyone argue that the EU is a perfect union.

Negotiations about leaving haven't even started yet of course.

Don't think anyone who voted leave voted to become poorer.That's inevitably what will happen.

Can you tell me at what point I personally will become poorer?..or anyone else on here for that matter.

How much poorer will I become?

If as you say...it's inevitable...you won't have any difficulty providing me with the answers, will you?

Nobody in the UK anyway.

Out of interest, were you anti-EU, along with the Labour Party before it made its drastic u-turn on Europe, and if so what brought about your own drastic u-turn?

As I've already pointed out, I voted against joining the EEC in the original referendum in '75.

My own personal u-turn came before Labour's.

FWIW,I'd attribute it to living in Spain and France and thus seeing the advantages of EU membership at first hand.

Can you tell me at what point I personally will become poorer?..or anyone else on here for that matter.

How much poorer will I become?

If as you say...it's inevitable...you won't have any difficulty providing me with the answers, will you?

I'm afraid you'll just have to wait until a deal is negotiated (or not) like the rest of us.

I think it's fair to say though, that the majority of the UK who voted for leave,voted that way on the basis of regaining control over immigration, without paying too much attention to the economic consequences of their vote.

As I've already pointed out, I voted against joining the EEC in the original referendum in '75.
Interesting revelation - so Barna didn't always get everything wrong.

FWIW,I'd attribute it to living in Spain and France and thus seeing the advantages of EU membership at first hand.
Yes, I expect the people of Spain and France do see the advantages of EU membership. I'm yet to hear a convincing argument for the UK remain, beyond some pathetic 'better the devil you know' reasoning.

I think it's fair to say though, that the majority of the UK who voted for leave,voted that way on the basis of regaining control over immigration, without paying too much attention to the economic consequences of their vote.
Wow - that's some arrogant assumption making there, good work :thumbsup:. Some voted leave for reasons of immigration I'll grant you, but they don't outnumber those who didn't, they just shout louder.

Interesting revelation - so Barna didn't always get everything wrong.

Yes, I expect the people of Spain and France do see the advantages of EU membership. I'm yet to hear a convincing argument for the UK remain, beyond some pathetic 'better the devil you know' reasoning.

Wow - that's some arrogant assumption making there, good work
:thumbsup:. Some voted leave for reasons of immigration I'll grant you, but they don't outnumber those who didn't, they just shout louder.

It's certainly a generalisation.I'm happy to give you that.

Even that nice Mr Junker thinks we've been giving the EU a good kicking for "far too long" in the UK and will now have to pay the price for it.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-for-problems-that-led-to-brexit-says-juncker

My own personal u-turn came before Labour's.

I'm afraid you'll just have to wait until a deal is negotiated (or not) like the rest of us.

I see.

Do you not think then that a diminishing EU market, yet increased costs of membership played a part?

Or perhaps that outside of the EU we will be able to make our own trade deals far quicker than the EU can ever hope to.

To have the ability to pursue our own immigration policies, without the EU discriminating....is something I'm sure you fully support.

What I find truly astonishing though is that you think it is the UK's economy that is doomed post Brexit....I would look closer to home if I were you.

Back