• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

ozzie

Manager
watched it on German tv,another poor England game,did not seem any different than Hodgson. only one game,but v Malta!!.
we won.at least we are better than Malta,thank god it was not Iceland again.
2 things i heard on the tv..
1 was i heard the England fans boo Rooney??
2: about the 80th minute..i heard MALTA fans(nearly 2000) out singing England fans at Wembley!!
Was it that bad,or was the German beer doing my "head" in AGAIN

I'll judge Southgate after the Slovenia game. Got to admit I'm worried after today's performance. :unsure:

The FA should thank their lucky stars they have the best supporters in the world bar none,just short of 82,000 playing a L1 standard side(sorry Malta great effort) after an awful Euro's,i went last night wished I hadn't pathetic.:thumbdown:

yes,agree with you.
I thought after about 70 mins,Malta would be knackered and we would then score maybe 3,but nothing.
I thought G.S plan B. !!! looked very much plan A!!
And plan A,proved in Brazil&France,does not work.
We ALL knew how Malta would play and also that England would be free to do what they want in two thirds of the pitch,but again.no change,in the last third.

S.Tony...im coming over from Germany for the JOCK game!!!
It will be different..the Jock fans will sing,etc unlike the England Fans last night,also the Jocks will play hard with heart and sole.

S.Tony...im coming over from Germany for the JOCK game!!!
It will be different..the Jock fans will sing,etc unlike the England Fans last night,also the Jocks will play hard with heart and sole.

Agreed having a team that just may come to play might help us on and off the pitch do hope so,great effort coming from Germany by the way lets hope we get the right result and effort.:thumbsup:

I'm not too worried. Tuesday's game will be more open and that will suit England a lot better.

What is "English football" then?

Fast and furious. Not prancing around with pretty little diamonds. Ball forward quick to a speedy winger and delivered early enough in the box to unnerve defenders. English players cannot play continental football as 50 trophyless years proves. The last manager that came anywhere close were Venables and Hoddle though they had the benefit of the backbone of Adams and a balanced midfield of creativity and combative terriers. Not one forward has delivered since Shearer and Lineker before him and we haven't had a world class playmaker since Gazza. Beckham was good but not THAT good.

The annoying thing is that I actually think we have a promising young squad but yet again we are trying to change their games when it comes to international football.

Rooney was once world class. Any other sentiment is revisionism.

Agreed, but from Saturday's showing, him starting is far from our biggest issue. The lack of movement in our front line was criminal. Rooney criticised for a lot of sideways passes, but he didn't have a lot of options with the awful and static Sturridge and Walcott in front. Lingaard wasn't much better either.

Fast and furious. Not prancing around with pretty little diamonds. Ball forward quick to a speedy winger and delivered early enough in the box to unnerve defenders. English players cannot play continental football as 50 trophyless years proves. The last manager that came anywhere close were Venables and Hoddle though they had the benefit of the backbone of Adams and a balanced midfield of creativity and combative terriers. Not one forward has delivered since Shearer and Lineker before him and we haven't had a world class playmaker since Gazza. Beckham was good but not THAT good.

The annoying thing is that I actually think we have a promising young squad but yet again we are trying to change their games when it comes to international football.

So English football is basically anti-Kevin Maher and pro-Adam Barrett.

Glad we sorted that out.

Agreed.One good shot in the first half and that was about his lot.Will he be dropped tonight though? I doubt it somehow.

Gareth Southgate confirmed yesterday that Wayne Rooney will not start for England tonight.

So whilst I'm not advocating Rooney be a first teamer for England. He was far from the worst player on Saturday, if he's being dropped based on Saturday's performance, then there's a good four or five players ahead of him that need to be dropped first.

The Kevin Maher that made the tackle and drive forward to set up the goal v Bristol City you mean?

That you can remember the one time he did that a decade or two later is quite instructive. I rated his sideways passing and pretty triangles.

Back