• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well done to the boys, great and needed away win and clean sheet. Well done to all those who attended great support

Facilities and view were great but it is too big though. Their fans created absolutely nothing in the way of atmosphere and the swathes of empty seats just looks so tinpot. It was a decent crowd today but they were just lost in the vast ground. There seemed to be no passion among their fans but that is to be expected I suppose, the Franchise is no more than about 15 years old so unless you're a kid, they can only be a second team, as who did they all support before?

What a hole MK is as well, is there a building that isn't a retail warehouse in the whole city?

Anyway enough sniping at the Franchise (although how satisfying to beat them so convincingly). On the game, I would say that for me, the player who will get little credit but has completely changed our dynamic is Will Atkinson. His presence and work rate allows Wordsworth the freedom to do what he does best, and he was excellent today. Should have had a goal himself in the second half to cap it off.

Our full backs were poor in the first half today and Demetriou in particular looked vulnerable. Ferdinand and Thompson looked very steady, particularly Ferdinand whose reading of the game is excellent. I thought we were fortunate to go in at half time 2-0 up, but the expected second half onslaught never materialised - if anything it was us who could have had a couple more goals.

Ranger was terrific in doing the donkey work and helping retain the ball up the pitch, but I felt he should have been taken off before he was, and hopefully his injury is not too serious - he was limping pretty heavily when he left the field although that may have been a ploy to waste time.

Cox looks far more interested now he actually sees some of the ball. His approach play is clever and it's great to see him back on the scoresheet.

Also need to mention Oxley for a near-faultless performance, his double save at 1-0 was vital. He seems much more settled and confident now.

Well done the lads and Phil Brown - credit where credit is due he's finally stumbled upon his best team and finally worked out that 4-4-2 plays to the strengths of our players. Shame it took him 3 months to figure it out :facepalm:

So those of you who get to most games, would it be fair to say based on the last few games that a) Oxley is a reasonable L1 keeper after all, b) Atkinson is actually a decent footballer, c) Ferdinand is probably, and I say this with respect to a hero, an upgrade on AB which was probably needed at this level, and finally d) PB might not be quite such an awful manager now he's got his preferred side on the pitch?

So those of you who get to most games, would it be fair to say based on the last few games that a) Oxley is a reasonable L1 keeper after all, b) Atkinson is actually a decent footballer, c) Ferdinand is probably, and I say this with respect to a hero, an upgrade on AB which was probably needed at this level, and finally d) PB might not be quite such an awful manager now he's got his preferred side on the pitch?

that is fair to say, yes!

Long may this line up continue .Since Adam Barrett was dropped we haven't lost .And our over all defending has been much better and we have stopped conceding lots of goals and 7 points in our last 3 games says a lot about the team sprit .And mr Barrett whos in a relegation fight .Stay at home with your coco and slippers .
So you attribute all the losses and goals against down to Barrett, how quickly we turn on a SUFC legend ,who gave his all in almost every :thumbdown:portant players out injured or PBs tactics etc ,just down to Adam Barrett

How on earth can the defeats be down to AB or the improved performances be down to his exclusion. How ridiculous. This is the same AB who played at Sheffield United and pretty much blocked everything in our win there.

The defeats were caused by all manner of things. The system of playing one upfront, which allowed the oppo full backs to bomb forward. The lopsided three centre-halves, which left us exposed in front of the back 5.

A lack of availability of key players further up the pitch.

AB plays better in a two centre-half system. As he did with Bolger on our run of seven games without conceding a goal.

Lots of factors have changed recently. Confidence being one of the main ones.

PB had a call to make, when switching to 4-4-2 and he chose Anton and Thommo, which has worked. It might not have, but it has so far, but we've also changed up the system in midfield, which has tightened things up. I bet it was a tougher decision to leave AB out than we think.

MK were poor, very poor but as bad as they were, we were that good. About as complete a performance as I've ever seen from a Phil Brown Southend side. Absolutely nobody had a bad game. Oxley made a wonder double save and it looks like the big man is finding his feet now, or should I say hands?

I give PB all the credit in the world after this week. Team selection, formation, subs all spot on and long may it continue. We definitely have a new emphasis on attacking sides and not sitting back after we've gone 1-0 in front. We looked like we could score every time we went forward yesterday

I don't think it's fair to say the change in form coincides with Adam Barrett coming out of the team. It coincides with us going to 2 up front and making the ball stick in the final 3rd. Obviously to get that 2nd man up front we had to lose one of the CB's but I don't think that necessarily had to be Barrett. Players will get injured and suspended etc this season so AB will be back in at some point and as long as we still have 2 up front I don't think a lot will change.

Adam Barrett is Southend United, anyone giving him **** should be ashamed of themselves

Facilities and view were great but it is too big though. Their fans created absolutely nothing in the way of atmosphere and the swathes of empty seats just looks so tinpot. It was a decent crowd today but they were just lost in the vast ground. There seemed to be no passion among their fans but that is to be expected I suppose, the Franchise is no more than about 15 years old so unless you're a kid, they can only be a second team, as who did they all support before?

What a hole MK is as well, is there a building that isn't a retail warehouse in the whole city?

Anyway enough sniping at the Franchise (although how satisfying to beat them so convincingly). On the game, I would say that for me, the player who will get little credit but has completely changed our dynamic is Will Atkinson. His presence and work rate allows Wordsworth the freedom to do what he does best, and he was excellent today. Should have had a goal himself in the second half to cap it off.

Our full backs were poor in the first half today and Demetriou in particular looked vulnerable. Ferdinand and Thompson looked very steady, particularly Ferdinand whose reading of the game is excellent. I thought we were fortunate to go in at half time 2-0 up, but the expected second half onslaught never materialised - if anything it was us who could have had a couple more goals.

Ranger was terrific in doing the donkey work and helping retain the ball up the pitch, but I felt he should have been taken off before he was, and hopefully his injury is not too serious - he was limping pretty heavily when he left the field although that may have been a ploy to waste time.

Cox looks far more interested now he actually sees some of the ball. His approach play is clever and it's great to see him back on the scoresheet.

Also need to mention Oxley for a near-faultless performance, his double save at 1-0 was vital. He seems much more settled and confident now.

Well done the lads and Phil Brown - credit where credit is due he's finally stumbled upon his best team and finally worked out that 4-4-2 plays to the strengths of our players. Shame it took him 3 months to figure it out :facepalm:

Very good review; exactly how I saw it

I've had my differences with the man but there's no need for that.

How on earth can the defeats be down to AB or the improved performances be down to his exclusion. How ridiculous. This is the same AB who played at Sheffield United and pretty much blocked everything in our win there.

The defeats were caused by all manner of things. The system of playing one upfront, which allowed the oppo full backs to bomb forward. The lopsided three centre-halves, which left us exposed in front of the back 5.

A lack of availability of key players further up the pitch.

AB plays better in a two centre-half system. As he did with Bolger on our run of seven games without conceding a goal.

Lots of factors have changed recently. Confidence being one of the main ones.

PB had a call to make, when switching to 4-4-2 and he chose Anton and Thommo, which has worked. It might not have, but it has so far, but we've also changed up the system in midfield, which has tightened things up. I bet it was a tougher decision to leave AB out than we think.

I agree that AB did function better in a 4-4-2, but the problem now is AB can no longer function in a 4-4-2, that was evident in the second half of last season.

I'm not solely blaming him, but bring able to change to a 4-4-2 with Ferdinand is a heck of an upgrade has made a big difference as we now have the right personal to be able to do that.

If we need AB to come in occasionally, I'm fine with that, but if he have to rely on him for a long spell, we'll struggle again.

Yes, I live in one, though I get a bit fed up with B&Q opening so early on a sunday downstairs.

Don't get me wrong I was and still think Adam Barrett has been a great player in his day .But every good dog has his day it is said .Well maybe Adam is just getting beyond his best .And maybe its time to hang up his boots .

Wasn't there, vowed to never go to MK again after that appalling game at the national hockey stadium about 10 years ago when I froze half to death, got soaked and we lost horribly...!! It was at least 2-0 if I rightly recall, and I was so p**d off because not only had I run into the ex-in laws in McDonalds about 15 minutes before we got to the ground, we were doing okay at the start and it all went pants up! All in all that wasn't a day I would want to repeat in a hurry.

Still, good those of you who made the trip! excellent result that I wasn't expecting given our recent run, and good to see Cox on the score sheet from open play doing what he does best at last. More to come now that there are a couple of decent pairing options with Ranger and Fortune. Wordsworth was always a quality player, good to see him getting back to his best, good goal for the second and that free kick was sublime! Hopefully now with Wordsworth properly back, and Atko playing so well, our midfield issues are finally getting sorted. 7 points from 9, and climbing the table. I am just glad it is finally coming together.

Really enjoyed the game I thought we played really well and looked good. On the other hand other than Reeves MK Dons were *****! And it's no surprise that Karl Robinson and MK Dons have parted ways after that display and the goalie and the defender having a little fight with each other at the end.

Back