• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown Stay ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Back to my point I keep banging on about.
PB has IMPROVED our league position EVERY season since he arrived. We are 15th which is where we finished last season.
Until it looks very likely we will not improve and continue our ascent - it would be madness to get rid of a man who has ONLY ever taken us UP!!!

Wow he is actually thinking and putting into practice what we have been saying for ages.

It's a simple game really. We have some very good players and now we are playing a system that suits we are getting results.

You still have to question what was he thinking for the last 6 months.

I think more important this season is he actually has fit players to select.

Its fine saying he is playing the system that suits but he could hardly play Wordsworth and Ranger when they were injured and playing this system without them just wasnt working.

Last season we were playing Payne in the 4411 and I dont think that ever really worked. Whilst Id rather he hadnt left not having him here does simplify things here.

Back to my point I keep banging on about.
PB has IMPROVED our league position EVERY season since he arrived. We are 15th which is where we finished last season.
Until it looks very likely we will not improve and continue our ascent - it would be madness to get rid of a man who has ONLY ever taken us UP!!!

This is hardly the place for facts old boy.

How fickle are us football fans a few weeks ago we were all calling for Brown to go but a few wins has made the difference. I just hope all Southend fans get behind the team now and even if we lose a few games stick with Phil Brown.

How fickle are us football fans a few weeks ago we were all calling for Brown to go but a few wins has made the difference. I just hope all Southend fans get behind the team now and even if we lose a few games stick with Phil Brown.

A sincere wish, but you just know what will happen on here if we lose the next three.

I think more important this season is he actually has fit players to select.

Its fine saying he is playing the system that suits but he could hardly play Wordsworth and Ranger when they were injured and playing this system without them just wasnt working.

Last season we were playing Payne in the 4411 and I dont think that ever really worked. Whilst Id rather he hadnt left not having him here does simplify things here.

In the second half of the season Payne was playing higher up as a second forward. That's why he started scoring from inside the box.

Exaxtly- he has played two up top the moment he has the tight personnel to do it- getting Ranger and Wordsworth fit, Ferdinand up and running and Fotune in has made a big difference. First few games nothing was sticking up top- now it does the difference is significant with players able to get on the front foot.

i look at the summer signing now and can't help but think we did very good business
Demetriou, Ranger, Cox, Ferdinand, Fortune, McGlashan, Oxley all looking decent. King is the underperformer I guess

And whose fault was it that he didn't have the right personnel available?

I don't know. Who would you blame for injuries to Wordsworth and Ranger.

Not sure you can really blame anyone. But, given their records, it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise.

Ranger had only made 5 starts and 2 full 90mins in two years before joining us and Wordsworth has averaged less than half a season availability for the last three seasons.

We were after players in the window that other clubs offered better terms for and so we had limited options to bring in.

Simon Cox has been a great signing and Nile Ranger could prove the best risk of the century.

Compare them to players touted as "must gets" among many. Lee Novak & Jay Simpson, for example. I know who I would rather have.

Not forgetting how many lauded the mighty Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Bradley Dack as the sort of thing we should aspire to as a club.

We now appear to be above them in the league.

Got a real good feeling about us at the moment and yep, sure, it would have been good to have this side since August, but PB is learning with this squad and it's starting to take shape.

Add to that, we managed to scoop Anton Ferdinand.

Could turn out that our so called "inactivity" in the transfer window was the best bit of business we've done in ages.

Not sure you can really blame anyone. But, given their records, it shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise.

Ranger had only made 5 starts and 2 full 90mins in two years before joining us and Wordsworth has averaged less than half a season availability for the last three seasons.

Ranger was injured when someone landed on his ankle, not sure what anyone can do about that. If either player had had 30+ games in the championship for their last clubs they would not be signing for us.

Our first target, Novak, scored 14 goals in L1 last season. Charlton are paying him £100,000 a year more than we offered. And we made a very good offer. There was lots of posts back in August saying look at realistic targets. But if we signed the next Pigott there would be howls of protest. Despite a new thread every month the club will not be pursuing the next non league star striker.

Simple fact is if we want some quality in the team then we will have to take a risk, which of course Ranger is a risk and its still early days. I have liked the look of him so far and seem to have the right attitude, unlike Barnett. Lets hope he gets a goal this Saturday.

Ranger's issues at Swindon Town and Blackpool had nothing to do with injury.

We were after players in the window that other clubs offered better terms for and so we had limited options to bring in.

Simon Cox has been a great signing and Nile Ranger could prove the best risk of the century.

Compare them to players touted as "must gets" among many. Lee Novak & Jay Simpson, for example. I know who I would rather have.

Not forgetting how many lauded the mighty Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Bradley Dack as the sort of thing we should aspire to as a club.

We now appear to be above them in the league.

Got a real good feeling about us at the moment and yep, sure, it would have been good to have this side since August, but PB is learning with this squad and it's starting to take shape.

Add to that, we managed to scoop Anton Ferdinand.

Could turn out that our so called "inactivity" in the transfer window was the best bit of business we've done in ages.

Could be that Phil's decision to stop defending from the third whistle and let his players play attacking football without a lone striker is the best thing he's done in ages.......and to continue attacking when we're winning.

Hats off to Phil for the last three games but PLEASE don't change it if/when we get spanked a couple of times and ........ I love Adam to bits and his namesake is starting to play like him.

Think that's a very valid point.

Ironically, by being more on the front foot and attacking, it's actually resulted in a return to the clean sheet mentality!

Think that's a very valid point.

Ironically, by being more on the front foot and attacking, it's actually resulted in a return to the clean sheet mentality!

Agree totally. It's not ironic though. While the opposition are defending, they can't attack. So many of us have been saying this since day one and finally the penny may have dropped for PB.

Agreed, too. I was thinking more of the irony from PB's viewpoint. He's been looking for a CSM all season and found it by almost chucking the theory out of the window and going for goals.

We actually defend better when it's not so crowded at the back and Will/Lenny are blocking further up. Clarky made the point that Oxley is showing how useful he is at coming for crosses and coming off his line because we are not sitting so deep, giving him space, rather than coming through a crowd to get the ball.

There's a good clip on the 2 mins highlights from Saturday, for those who weren't there, when Thommo goes diving in and the fella slips past him, but because we are higher up the pitch, Anton is able to get across and put in a great saving tackle. I know the opposite happened at Bradford, but if Anton had that chance again, he might have got across instead of thinking Oxley might have got there and done the same as Saturday.

Another indication that there's an understanding of each other's game building by keeping a consistent formation and personnel.

Last edited:
I don't know. Who would you blame for injuries to Wordsworth and Ranger.

I'm not blaming him for the injuries. I'm blaming him for a lack of forward planning.

It was entirely foreseeable that players who have played under 30 games for the last couple of years might not be available for 50+ games this season.

I'm not blaming him for the injuries. I'm blaming him for a lack of forward planning.

It was entirely foreseeable that players who have played under 30 games for the last couple of years might not be available for 50+ games this season.

I think you probably have a point regards Wordsworth's chances of lasting a full season, but not sure that you can say the same about Ranger (from a fitness perspective at least; there were/are clearly other risks with him!). Also not sure how you can say lack of forward planning , as there have been several variants tried out - admittedly with varying degrees of success, but that is a different matter.

You often post eloquent, and occasionally persuasive, critiques of PB's management style, especially following on from a heavy defeat. However, you rarely seem to post anything at all related to matches where the team wins.

So what is your view on the current team set-up and recent performances? I am interested to understand if you are happy with the current style and level of performance.

Back