• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Woody is becoming a bit of a fans favourite. I get what you mean though. People like Deegan and Mohsni are fans favourites for different reasons.

I wasn't particularly a Deegan fan, but he was something of a fan favourite.

I'm trying to think of a current player who inspires such passions amongst at least a section of the fanbase (other than Barrett who's the latest to be banished to Siberia). We seem to be missing a cult player.

Wordsworth, ranger, Leonard. ...all very popular with fans, plenty of chants on saturday for these 3.

I see he has been pivotal in Shrewsburys superb start to the season. He had a few decent games for us and a beard. Easily ignored.

LOL :smile:

... and tight shorts. Don't forget the tight shorts!

My main concern too that he does Woody,hope the ref gives him yellow early doors,Deeg will no doubt deserve it.

Last time next Saturday's referee took charge of a League match involving Deegan he showed him not one but two yellow cards in the space of 33 minutes !!!

Last time next Saturday's referee took charge of a League match involving Deegan he showed him not one but two yellow cards in the space of 33 minutes !!!

Thanks Mick,

Refs always remember woohoo.

Why on earth are we even discussing the bloke? He may start on Saturday, he may not. He may kick people, he may not. It's not as if the players don't know what he is capable of, and I'm sure they will be ready for the game and the Shrewsbury players. Lets leave Deegan to the Ref if it's need and concentrate on playing to our strengths.................If it's really necessary, start Mooney to man mark Deegan, I bet he wouldn't like them apples:thumbsup:

Never really understood what all the fuss was about with Deegan - apart from his 'Leigh look' hipster beard... Moreover, what i saw he had more bad games than good, often broke up play but most of the time he played the man and not the ball.

Will still applaud him when he takes to the pitch on Saturday, but only if he still has that superb beard, without it he is nothing ! :dim:

Timlin's another one in Siberia.

Hasn't started a game since February.
Took part in full training today.

I would also register concern about the injury Deegan might do others, but hopefully he'll know that if he does anything then there's plenty will want to kick him to the end of the pier and off it!

Took part in full training today.

I would also register concern about the injury Deegan might do others, but hopefully he'll know that if he does anything then there's plenty will want to kick him to the end of the pier and off it!

Lets not build it up to much. Yes he did put in a decent challenge but I never saw him do anything close to a straight red.

When scouts watch an opposition they note who puts the first challenge in, players are instructed to react to those sort of players. That's one piece of information our players won't need at the pre-match meeting.

So the viking is back!

I am really intrigued to see how our midfield cope with him or how he copes with ours. Our midfielders obviously know him will and I wonder how they perceive him. Will they respect him, be scared of him or walk all over him?

One things for sure they would of seen the rough side to his game. My colleague at work, who also does some physio work during training sessions at Southend, gave me in insight into Mad Max's broken foot. The aforementioned Deegan was the perpetrator in training. Additionally, Mr Brown was also very unimpressed when Clifford backed out of a challenge by Deegan during training, we didn't see much of Clifford after that!

The team have seen firsthand what old Deegs can do, how will it affect them, what will Phil's plan be?

Not sure he started for Shrewsbury Saturday so it'll be interesting to see if Hurst picks him in his first team selection. As for affecting the team, Deegan struggled when being up against legs. Lenny will run all over him should he play. Never rated him that highly to be honest.

On the few occasions I have spoken with Gary he was always a very nice guy; I hope he gets a good welcome, has a good game, doesn't get booked, gets their M of M ratings BUT is on the losing end of a 3 nil stuffing!

I think letting Deegan go was the right decision.He did a decent enough job as a squad player but he is a very limited player.We have a better option for an enforcer/somebody to break up play in Timlin,plus Timlin has more to his game. The problem we have had IMO is that we havegiven our CM’s multiple tasks. It has been the case when Woody, Tims and Lennyhave played together in any combination that both players have played both thedefensive and attacking roles. Because Deegan sat and broke up play pretty muchexclusively we looked a good side with him in it. Going on match reports fromSaturday it seems like Lenny sat in most of the time and let Woody be ourattacking threat in the centre which worked to great effect. It seems a wastefor Lenny to do this job as he has so much more to his game but it is betterfor the team. The same when Timlin does that job. When Deegan does it he seemsperfect because he’s a limited player and you don’t feel he could becontributing anywhere else. I’d argue that given a clear remit to sit/hold andbreak up play that Timlin is a better option than Deegan and Lenny could wellbe too, let’s not forget that after the ball is won you have to do something withit.

I can see Deegan being motivated and having a goodgame against us, he had the odd game for us where he shone, but I don’t thinkhe’s any loss and it’s no coincidence that a team he has played in regularly isbottom of the league.
weren't we close to the bottom recently- couldn't you say the same about our players ?:winking:

I wasn't particularly a Deegan fan, but he was something of a fan favourite.

I'm trying to think of a current player who inspires such passions amongst at least a section of the fanbase (other than Barrett who's the latest to be banished to Siberia). We seem to be missing a cult player.

I haven't seen or read anything to suggest this, or have I missed it? It would be disappointing if it were the case for a number of reasons. Are you aware of any evidence to back this up? In the absence of evidence, I'd suggest a more prosaic scenario: team lets in shedload of goals, manager seeks to shore up defence by changing personnel.

It has been the case when Woody, Tims and Lennyhave played together in any combination that both players have played both thedefensive and attacking roles....

You see we underestimate the role of the OrangeOne...England managers came and went and never nailed Becks with Gerrard with Lampard...

Add Scholes to that mix as well! Nobody played well with Lampard in CM unless they were a workhorse (Makelele), Gerrard at international level and Ballack at club level were both world class but couldn't play to their strengths in the same side as Lampard.

The day we have to worry about Gary Deegan is the day we've really hit rock bottom.

A poor man's Stuart Thurgood.

Back