• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 Swindon Town

I just think that the players were knackered to be honest

I know it's probably not allowed these days, but I wonder if both clubs considered switching the match to Saturday 3rd December.

We are both out of the FA Cup and it would have meant a larger crowd and more rest for both sides.

A lot of entertainment, a lot of commitment and a dose of misfortune. Thems the breaks. You can't win them all but, as long as you try to, its all that matters. Well done the team.

If we parked the bus and camped in our own half, how did we continue to create chances then?

And yes, I'm sure PB told them at half time to stop attacking and just sit back and defend
it was plain and obvious, when they scored they were happy with the point, and sat back and defended, we was then able to attack until then end, maybe you are in X block, and had a poor view....

In my view, we didn't sit back, but I would say, throughout the first 70 minutes, we weren't at full tilt, which is understandable, given the efforts of Saturday and another game coming up.

I think we tried to game manage, which is not one of our strengths. We are better being in the face of the opposition.

That said, we did enough to win, but they defended well to get the point.

A neutral would have lapped up the last 20 minutes - especially if you were in the South Stand.
A word about their goal.
Have looked at it a number of times, and no one's mentioned Oxley. Essentially, it was a bit of a dribbler, and he looked rooted.
Should he have got across a bit quicker? Cox could do with shifting a couple of kilos as well. That said, other sides won't be as lucky with the same kitchen sink thrown at them.

united we stand said "If we ahd of scored a second gaola in teh firsst half"

I'll have a pint of what he's had!

Felt a bit sorry for Thompson, he went up for a free kick only for Wordsworth to pass it straingt back to their goalkeeper. As others had said as he was closing the players down other players should have been covering for him.

Don't think we eased off in the 2nd half. Just thought Swindon worked harder and closed us down better. Paid the penalty for not scoring a 2nd in the 1st half, when we were on top. We are not yet good enough to win them all but for their keeper we would have won this one.

I don't think we eased off last night and I don't think we came out after our goal or half time with a clean sheet mentality; however a few of the players who had been getting up field, notably Atko and MacL did stick more to midfield and safety roles than either Saturday, or after Swindon got the equaliser.
We ought to have scored BUT the best that can be said is our failure to get a winner was NOT from any lack of work, attempts, willingness or poor accuracy.
The Swindon goalie gave the best GK display I have witnessed since Paul Smith at Brentford replay.
On PB watch he was again controlled, fairly quiet, reasoned; he might have made the substitution 10 minutes earlier but that is an easy call with hindsight: and he could have tried MacG for Atko or Len in a last push for a goal.

We see things different, I think....like Rootshallbloke (and like I said last night) we sat back and parked the bus second half, it's was not them just having a go, we camped in our own half, as though it was Phil's words "just take it easy, they won't score all night" We must try and keep scoring.

If we parked the bus and camped in our own half, how did we continue to create chances then?

And yes, I'm sure PB told them at half time to stop attacking and just sit back and defend

I don't think we parked the bus, but we did change how we attacked. A lot of the time in the second half we countered Swindon rather than playing the high pressing game of the first half. I mentioned Thompson in my original post but it was not a criticism, I could just have easily mentioned Anton's attempt to turn and shoot in their box, I have seen oil tankers turn quicker. But the fact that posters have a view on the Thompson involvement just means we all have different opinions. I hope opinions of all shades are still welcome here?

Modest lad ;

Vigouroux’s display was the latest in a long line of impressive appearances between the sticks for Swindon this term, although the former Liverpool stopper thought it was no more significant than any that have gone before it.
“I think I have played better than that but it was satisfying. More importantly, we got a point at a tough place to come. They are on a good run here and I am really happy for the boys, they dug in well,” said Vigouroux.
“I don’t really remember any particular save, it is just like a blur. I am just happy that I did as much as I could to keep the ball out of the back of the net.
“Time slows down for me for some reason. It [the Wordsworth header] came to me quite quickly but I saw it come off his head and I had time to re-adjust my body.
“It is a bit of instinct but overall, I was just really happy to keep it out of the back of the net and if that goes in, I don’t think we get a point.”

I know it's probably not allowed these days, but I wonder if both clubs considered switching the match to Saturday 3rd December.

We are both out of the FA Cup and it would have meant a larger crowd and more rest for both sides.

I think we should go for that option. Downside if we lose is only a point.

I'm liking that idea.

If both sides are in agreement, let's play the game again! :cool:

Have looked at it a number of times, and no one's mentioned Oxley. Essentially, it was a bit of a dribbler, and he looked rooted. Should he have got across a bit quicker?

No one's mentioned Oxley because he's cut out the blatant errors. He's not the best keeper we'll ever see in a blues shirt but compared to earlier in the season he's a lot more solid and deserves our backing. On that basis I'm not about to rip into him for failing to claw things out of the corners. Whether I'd renew him for another season is a different question.

A neutral would have lapped up the last 20 minutes - especially if you were in the South Stand.
A word about their goal.
Have looked at it a number of times, and no one's mentioned Oxley. Essentially, it was a bit of a dribbler, and he looked rooted.
Should he have got across a bit quicker? Cox could do with shifting a couple of kilos as well. That said, other sides won't be as lucky with the same kitchen sink thrown at them.

For their goal the deflection wrong footed Oxley and I think that's why he looked rooted. As for Cox, I thought he worked really hard last night and looked sharper and a shade quicker than I've seen him before. I made him my MoM.

Southend 1-1. VSwindon I agree ,the first game I've thought he was worth his place ,IMO he worked his socks off

A lot of entertainment, a lot of commitment and a dose of misfortune. Thems the breaks. You can't win them all but, as long as you try to, its all that matters. Well done the team.

My thoughts exactly. I stayed behind and applauded the players that came over to the west stand. I really enjoyed the last 15 or so, and you couldn't fault the commitment and effort.

Just some days they won't go in for you.

Felt sorry for Thompson because he only stayed up front to close their keeper down and make him hurry his clearance.
It would have looked bad if he had just backed off.
Leonard or Wordsworth should be alert to this and one of them drop back to centre half.
Ferdinand obviously disagrees with my view as he 'gently' pointed out to Thompson that he should not have gone AWOL.
I was thinking the same as this. Plus there were two players who should have stopped the guy.

To me we seemed to hit lots of long balls to Rager 2nd half and didn't start playing again until they scored. Ranger was out on his feet after approx 60 mins (as was Atkinson) and should have been replaced sooner.

Game me was crying out for the pace of McGlashen imo.

May have only been 1-1 but that last 20 minutes was quality. Proper entertaining stuff.

Play like this against Walsall and we'll be fine, as long as we kill the game off like we should have done against Swindon!

Back