• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-1 Coventry City

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United started their Christmas celebrations early with a comfortable 3-1 win against Coventry City at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Really good performance today from all the lads, it could have been / should have been 7-1 or 7-2 if both sides converted the clear chances, but obviously im very happy with a comfortable 3-1 win today.

Not sure if it was mentioned in the earlier posts, but it was crowd of 6,430 this afternoon (406 from Coventry) & our 5th biggest attendance of the season so far.

One very happy Mattitouk here, (the Mrs is at work) & there's still plenty of a Saturday evening left to enjoy, were up to 8th place League One... just a single point away from the play off's & 9 games unbeaten.

Furthermore, B'Orient are only 3 points away & Col Ewe are only 6 points away from playing in the Vanarama Conference next season!

Whats not to like! :smile:

Again, well done!..not only to the playing team, but also well done to Phil and the rest of the training staff & long may it continue!!.....

UTB......

"Confidence breeds confidence".....So bring on Oldham!!... And lets make it 10 unbeaten!!
:happy::loyalsupporter: :happy:

Right,.... where did I hide that bottle of Veuve Clicquot???

Last edited:
As there's no ratings thread yet I'll say we played well, some great tricky interplay, class football at times.
The second goal was clever, I'd been thinking earlier in the game how everyone always runs under set pieces then we saw it and Leonard pops up with a header back across. Clever.

Who would have thought that, after our start to the season, we'd hear 'E I E I E I O up the football league we go' before Christmas

Really good performance and even started the second half well. Cox was my MOM, thought he was excellent and also Mc was unplayable at times in the second half.

Don't think I've seen a better Southend side in a long while.

One final point, anyone who doesn't understand what difference Ferdinand makes, just look at how out of sorts at the back we looked as soon as he went off

An excellent if unspectacular performance. Felt like we rarely got out of second gear, but we didn't need to. Sevens all round, except for Macca who gets an 8 and MOTM from me. And special mention for O'Neill who did a really good job filling in for Atkinson. Coventry look like a half decent side who have zero confidence and seemed to be completely lacking a game plan today.

Very good team performance. Deserved the 1 goal lead after being on the front foot. Seem to then take our foot off the peddle and allowed Cov back into the game with Oxley once again looking good in goal. A few shaky moments second half as again we allowed Cov some possesion without ever looking in trouble. The second goal killed the game quickly followed by the third. Shame we conceded the way we did. Player wise, Cox and Ranger look really class and their link up play with Woody and Macca is some of the best we have for years, just wish they could score more between them. Mclaughlin was unplayable at times today and was my MOM, brillant wing play. Ferdinand also absolute class at the back and provided an element of calm and composure to the back four, also rubbing off on the excellant Oxley. Lenny the usual Lenny and O'Neill fitted in well. So all in all a very positive afternoon and another very winnable game next week to keep the run going before a tough Christmas
m

A guy behind me was banging on about Cox being a waste of space and Phil should take him off. To be fair he didn't start that nonsense until the second half, but I sometimes wonder whether I'm watching the same match as others, I thought Cox had one of his best games in a Southend shirt and I couldn't resist telling said ******** too. So, the match, so different from Tuesday, slick interchanges and purpose all the way through both halves. The defence was pretty tight, Timlin especially stuck at his task and did a job for the team. I was a little worried about Demetriou at times as when dispossessed he sometimes struggled to get back and cover. Luckily O'Neill did a pretty good number on the covering front and was not once out of place in that starting eleven. Lenny and Wordsworth were something else today both running their nuts off with Woody really making things tick and Lenny covering at a rate of knots that I found astonishing at times.

Up front Ranger ran and battered their back line, cox I've mentioned, and then there was McLaughlin. Without a doubt that was the best I have seen that man play, he was, as someone has said, totally unplayable and was my MoM by a country mile. I don't do the ratings bit but this team is now capable of mounting a serious challenge for honours this season as long as they continue like they did today, so that's my rating at team level. A shame we conceded, but that's a bit churlish on my part, especially as we have now nosed into positives in the goal difference stakes.

It's pretty good place to be following Southend at the moment. Thank you Phil and the team.

Really top drawer performance!

RATINGS :

Oxley 7 - Getting steadier by the game and looks part of the furniture now.

Demetriou 7 - Steady if unspectacular performance. Had to adjust to playing with Luke in front of him, which possibly restricted his runs going forward

Ferdinand 8.5 - Colossal, as ever. Just reads the game so well and never seems hurried or flustered, which is the sign of a very good player.

Thompson 8 - Another great performance and his partnership with Anton just looks as solid as a rock now.

Timlin 8.5 - Had a superb match and around 20 minutes in, raced across his own box to get a fabulous block tackle in, as their fella was about to shoot.

O'Neill 7.5 - Had a very good first half, but drifted slightly out of it in the second, but worked hard and filled Will's role very well.

Wordsworth 8 - Just has that touch of composure and class in the middle of the chaos. Nicely taken goal.

Leonard 9 MOM - Awesome performance from start to finish. Didn't put a foot wrong and that was a great header across goal for the crucial second goal.

McLaughlin 8.5 - Very close for MOM. Second half he was unplayable at times.

Cox 8 - Another good solid performance. Great movement and awareness, but something often that goes unnoticed is his desire to get back and win the ball in our half.

Ranger 7.5 - After a shaky first 20, he really started to show his class and threat.

SUBS :

Fortune 7 - Not really enough time to make a huge difference.

Sokolik 7 - Ditto above.

COVENTRY CITY :

It's easy to say they were poor and that's why we won, but we made them look poor. That said, there's clearly some serious issues at the club and towards the end, some players looked like they were going through the motions. It says something when their best player was a 75th minute substitution!

OVERALL :

Thoroughly enjoyable game. I love sitting in the South Upper, as you get a real overview of the match. I thought we won pretty much every second ball and our hunger to get the ball back when we didn't have it, created so many chances and really knocked them off their game. I lost count of the number of times they passed into a player and we anticipated and nicked the ball off them.

Some of our football was sublime. The move down the left towards the end, with a couple of wonderful back-heels and flicks would have been goal of the season.

We looked a class act and any neutral watching would say that we are one of the best sides in the division at the moment.

Ranger makes a huge difference, but Ferdinand is the key. The way he marshals everything and gives us that air of confidence.

The Hall was rocking again today and long may it continue!

Don't often post and that is that I rarely get to games these days, for reasons I won't go into. However this was the first opportunity this season and I think a good game to choose. My impressions were:

Oxley - pulled off a good save in the first half and also punched a dangerous cross away. However, a few iffy moments.
Demetriou - did ok, made a few mistakes, was rescued by Thompson for one of them in 2nd half.
Timlin - as above, didn't see the 'afters' but was caught really late by a challenge that somehow didn't warrant a card.
Thompson - impressive
Ferdinand - wow, how cool a customer is he, a great asset.
O'Neill - I think he started/made the first goal...? Did well without being spectacular.
Wordsworth - well taken goal (although would have been some miss if he hadn't scored) perhaps guilty of not choosing the right option when breaking away, but that would be harsh.
Leonard - Maybe not back to his best, but seemed to be everywhere.
McLaughlin - Got in some good crosses, one where Ranger almost got his head to. Got a goal/assist and was really impresssive after a slow start.
Cox- Class act, works hard, didn't have much luck in front of goal and had one disallowed.
Ranger - Another class act! Won nearly everything in the air, some exquisite flick ons, one back heel in the second half was worth the admission fee by itself!

Great to actually score from a free kick, shame about the corners though!

Can't wait for the next game.

Loved the game today, loved the effort, loved the commitment, loved the TOGETHERNESS of our team. Any one of about six of them could have been MOTM today.

Coventry weren't THAT bad, they could easily have got back into it at 1-0 down, but there were a few of their team that were obviously just playing to pick up their wage packets. Felt sorry for their supporters.

Oxley - 7.5, didn't have much to do at all, unlucky to concede that late goal
Demetriou - 7, lots of effort going forward but some odd misplaced passing
Thompson - 8, a good, solid performance and made sure he got back double quick when they made a quick break
Ferdinand - 8.5, I had a pre-conceived idea about this bloke, but he's proving me wrong - well done!
Timlin - 8, what do I know after what I said Tuesday?!!! Well done Tims, great performance
O'Neill - 8, thought Luke had a great game today and showed he can put a decent delivery across
Leonard - 8.75 (it was that close!) my MOTM, Lenny got forward more today and showed the difference he can make, great header back for Ferdinand's goal
Wordsworth - 8.5, got stuck in and bossed the midfield with Lenny, loved the goal celebration
McLaughlin - 8.5, another excellent performance, made himself unplayable
Cox - 8.5, some people just don't appreciate the effort this guy makes, he was everywhere and involved in some great passing
Ranger - 7.5, probably should have scored with that diving header in the 1st half, some good effort and dominant heading

Officials:
A good performance, hardly noticed them - though maybe the ref could have had his cards out a bit sooner.

Sad not to be in attendance today but well done to all 137 staff members that keep providing Crimbo presents like this.

Good performance, was easy to see how Coventry are struggling. They were poor and are quite weak physically (how small was that right back?). Cox was class. 3 points and on to the next game!

Good performance, was easy to see how Coventry are struggling. They were poor and are quite weak physically (how small was that right back?). Cox was class. 3 points and on to the next game!

According to Wikipedia, 5'9" :hilarious:

DSC_1279.jpg

I claim full credit for the win today. On the pitch pre-match with Ed Wood (see other thread re his world record visit to Roots today) I advised him on tactics (essentially, 'buy my book for all the team for Xmas'). Clearly this motovational hint was all that was needed:smile:

Today's game was a team performance where all the lads worked and worked with no passengers and plenty of leaders.
Oxley gets better and better.
Anton is class, reads situations SO well and wins vital headers and comfortable on the ball, talks to those around and inspires confidence.
Timlin takes no prisoners and won every 50/50 and most 40/60 situations; I am sure a few of their (Cov's) players bottled a few loose balls with him. He needs to be careful and cooler about dispensing his retribution or cards will follow more often than today.
Cox, Ranger, MacL make a dangerous forward three amigos who are getting to really know each other well; with the back up notably of Woody today.
I haven't mentioned some of the other players only as they performed to their regular better standard and regulars to The Hall will have known what they do and seen it today.
Average/better than ref but think the linos were both behind play at times and fast with their flags if caught out.

Cov have some good players but looked like a side bereft of hope and heading down unless money is splashed out in the transfer window for a leader (such as Anton was today for us). Their fans appeared, sounded in despair.

Onwards for more Northern Wastelands next weekend. UTB

Very good performance, we look a good team going forward with some great one touch passing at times.

Oxley 7 - Little to do for much of the game, made one great reflex save first half.

Demetriou 6 - Played a part in the first goal but looked a little suspect defensively, gets too tight to his man at times.
Thompson 8 - Excellent, didn't do anything wrong.
Ferdinand 9 - Deserved MOM for me, never looks like breaking a sweat but is always in the right position. I liked his vocal organisational skills too.
Timlin 6 - 100% effort but doesn't look comfortable at left back for me. He was out of position too often but largely saved himself by getting something on the ball. Caught out for Cov's goal, which in my opinion was coming. TBF I still think he's probably the best option at LB currently.

O'Neill 7 - I must admit I was groaning when I heard he was starting. Against a poor Coventry I thought McGlashen would be a better bet. However he was very good in the first half and played a big part in the goal. Faded after the break though.
Leonard 8 - Great performance defensively and rarely lost possession. Shame he shanked his shooting chance though.
Wordsworth 8 - Immense first half and took his chance, perhaps faded slightly after the break.
McLaughlin 8 - Average first half but was fantastic in the second, had the full back on toast! Deserved a goal though it will probably (rightly) go down as an OG.

Cox 7 - Some nice touches and I loved the back heel duo with Ranger! He does have an annoying habit of delaying shooting though.
Ranger 7 - First half he was perhaps a little below par, second half he was better with one fantastic run. I'd like to see him get in the box more though, I'm not sure he actually had a shooting chance all game.

Subs - Not enough time to rate, but Fortune put himself about as usual.

Last edited:
I still think our attacking dynamic is a tad odd. We have ranger and Cox playing so well and causing carnage for the defense....without scoring themselves.
I love watching them play and they basically open up the opposition in the final third...for others to score the goals. I'm not overly aware of a 'strike duo' that are so effective without scoring goals....many positives...but possibly a worry too?????

Back