• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-1 Coventry City

Twitter reaction to Blues' win against Coventry

SOUTHEND United's fans have been expressing their delight on Twitter following Blues' 3-1 win against Coventry City.

More...

They should never have left Highfield road. Great stadium and more than adequate.

At the time Coventry were an established Premiership team (34 consecutive years in top flight). Highfield Road was far from adequate, facility and capacity wise. The Ricoh was going to be a 45,000 capacity stadium and part of England's bid for the 2006 World Cup. England lost that bid, Coventry were relegated, the Ricoh was scaled back and it's all gone downhill for them since.

Exactly! A lot of people pointing the finger at Timlin for the goal but they walked past Sokolik like he wasn't there.....

Can't see how anyone can blame Timlin, he made a tackle 75yds up the pitch. It cannoned of the shin of Jodi Jones and fell kindly for him.

Not the first time people have only seen half the move on the highlights and assumed someone has gone AWOL, when in fact they are not to blame. Yes Jones made a good strong run but if it had been just 1-0, then someone would have taken a yellow for the team.

Can't see how anyone can blame Timlin, he made a tackle 75yds up the pitch. It cannoned of the shin of Jodi Jones and fell kindly for him.

Not the first time people have only seen half the move on the highlights and assumed someone has gone AWOL, when in fact they are not to blame. Yes Jones made a good strong run but if it had been just 1-0, then someone would have taken a yellow for the team.

Besides which football is a team game - yes, some players make terrific blunders - but in general the principle is to defend as a team and take responsibility as a team ........... and for me that is a far healthier position rather than pointing the finger of blame at one player.

Last edited:
Exactly! A lot of people pointing the finger at Timlin for the goal but they walked past Sokolik like he wasn't there.....

Not sure Sokolik could have done that much as their guy was at full pace and Sokolik had just come on so wasn't up to the pace of the game. Any challenge that wasn't 100% perfect would likely have been a penalty to them and a card for Sokolik.

Anyway, what a great performance by one and all.

If I am being picky then it would be for Ranger and Cox to be a bit more selfish and actually go directly for goal - but then again that IS being picky as it was a great Team performance but we need to start making the chances count as a better team than Coventry could have got back in to the game when it was 1-0 for so long.

I do like watching the opposition players as well as our own and was really unimpressed by Sordell and was expecting much more from him. Really liked the way their number 4 Jordan Turnbull (one with a beard) played though, wouldn't mind seeing him as a back up for Ferdinand and Thompson.

I'm not talking about their goal, but I thought generally Timlin didn't have a great game to be honest.

The block in the first half was excellent, but he was caught out of position quite a few times and against better opposition I think we could have got punished. He also gave the ball away quite a few times.

I guess we all see things differently but I would rather have White left back.

Good result but what's most pleasing is that is sounds like an excellent performance.

Anyone know what's up with Jack Bridge? 3-0 up at home with 20 minutes to play against a team in free-fall seemed like an ideal time to give him a cameo.

Good result but what's most pleasing is that is sounds like an excellent performance.

Anyone know what's up with Jack Bridge? 3-0 up at home with 20 minutes to play against a team in free-fall seemed like an ideal time to give him a cameo.

He was on the bench and looked happy enough. PB was looking to put MacG on towards the end but it didn't happen.

Back