• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If there is a moderator reading this could I please ask you to amend the title to the correct spelling of Athletic.

And then delete this message. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Hash tag: It'sdoingmyheadin

On a slightly different tack I was quite saddened by the poor support that Oldham had at their ground.

A crowd of 3,414 that failed to fill any part of the ground and was largely silent until part way through the second half.

And I did hear the announcer referring to Boundary Park as Poor_Employers_with_a_Dodgey_Reputation.Com Park. I suppose Oldham are pleased to receive the sponsorship money but I'm not sure being associated with that company is ideal.

Yeah it is, but that's actually about an average crowd for them these days, what with their lowly league position and financial troubles etc, a lot of fans have become disheartened by the way the club is currently being run. Which should be a warning to us and other clubs in the league.

I'm a little surprised though that some of the other clubs that are currently enjoying success in the league this season such as Scunthorpe and Rochdale are still bringing in low numbers of attendance, particularly in a mainly northern / midlands based league.
Rochdale for example are only averaging 2,466 home fans (with an average attendance of 3,385 a match) and Scunthorpe averaging 3,855 home fans (with an average attendance of 4,400 a match).

Yet despite our poor start & the lack of onions in our burgers :smile: Southend in comparison average 5,909 home fans a game (with an average attendance of 6,554 a game).

On a slightly different tack I was quite saddened by the poor support that Oldham had at their ground.

A crowd of 3,414 that failed to fill any part of the ground and was largely silent until part way through the second half.

And I did hear the announcer referring to Boundary Park as Poor_Employers_with_a_Dodgey_Reputation.Com Park. I suppose Oldham are pleased to receive the sponsorship money but I'm not sure being associated with that company is ideal.

I was told by the Oldham fans that they have been in that division for 20 years, which is pretty impressive to a Southend fan. It does however seemed to have gone a bit stale for the club.

They struggled last season and often those sort of clubs go down the following season. Remember Col U and Crew only just survived 2 seasons ago and then went down last season. Shame for the Oldham fans as we met some really good lads and I will always respect anyone who supports such a club when they have the Manchester big boys much closer than the likes of West Ham are to us.

On the plus side its one less long trip up North as long as they aren't replaced by Carlisle.

I was told by the Oldham fans that they have been in that division for 20 years, which is pretty impressive to a Southend fan. It does however seemed to have gone a bit stale for the club.

They struggled last season and often those sort of clubs go down the following season. Remember Col U and Crew only just survived 2 seasons ago and then went down last season. Shame for the Oldham fans as we met some really good lads and I will always respect anyone who supports such a club when they have the Manchester big boys much closer than the likes of West Ham are to us.

On the plus side its one less long trip up North as long as they aren't replaced by Carlisle.

The teams struggling the division above are Northern and it looks like it could be Doncaster and Carlisle coming up ..... whilst losing Bury and Oldham and possibly Sheffield United and Bolton.

I was told by the Oldham fans that they have been in that division for 20 years, which is pretty impressive to a Southend fan.

That makes sense, I read somewhere which I find equally, if not more impressive is that they've only been relegated just twice in nearly 46 years! (since 1971).

Looking back over the many years being on the emotional rollercoaster ride that is Southend Utd, I would have bitten someones hand off a countless number of seasons since then for some of that kind of consistency!.

That makes sense, I read somewhere which I find equally, if not more impressive is that they've only been relegated just twice in nearly 46 years! (since 1971).

Looking back over the many years being on the emotional rollercoaster ride that is Southend Utd, I would have bitten someones hand off a countless number of seasons since then for some of that kind of consistency!.

No chance.

Promotion potential and relegation battles are far better than mid table mediocrity.

Not a great game, certainly not as good as the game there last season, but we got the job done and deserved to win. Oldham were poor and looked like a team lacking confidence, would certainly be surprised if they stayed up. Fans were very quiet. They had a little bright spell at the start of the second half but their final ball let them down and Oxley didn't really have much to do. Second goal killed them off.

Hope the injuries to Cox and Ranger aren't bad as we're looking very light up front otherwise. Fortune and McGlashan did well when they came on, at first it looked like we were playing 4-5-1 and Fortune was a bit isolated but then McGlashan seemed to move more up front. MAF is just the type of player you need in that situation as he's so good at holding the ball up. He certainly frustrated Peter Clarke who wasn't very impressed with his step-overs. McGlashan put himself about and was good to see him score his first goal. Thompson and Atkinson were the other standout performers for me but a good solid team away performance.

First away game of the season for me and although not a classic I thought it was a decent game. Oldham played some decent football but they didn't look like they would score (until the 93rd minute!). Clarke was a liability for them and I enjoyed Fortune mugging him off with his step overs. I thought Thompson played really well, barring the attempted clearance which was almost an own goal. I also thought Atkinson and Leonard played well. Both solid and dependable and Atkinson played a fantastic first time cross in the second half. He should have scored but it didn't matter in the end. One thing I did find strange was some of our corner routines, it felt as if Brown had been tinkering on Football Manager with the most obscure tactics. I am pretty sure there was one corner where we didn't have one man in the box!

First away game of the season for me and although not a classic I thought it was a decent game. Oldham played some decent football but they didn't look like they would score (until the 93rd minute!). Clarke was a liability for them and I enjoyed Fortune mugging him off with his step overs. I thought Thompson played really well, barring the attempted clearance which was almost an own goal. I also thought Atkinson and Leonard played well. Both solid and dependable and Atkinson played a fantastic first time cross in the second half. He should have scored but it didn't matter in the end. One thing I did find strange was some of our corner routines, it felt as if Brown had been tinkering on Football Manager with the most obscure tactics. I am pretty sure there was one corner where we didn't have one man in the box!

By contrast for one Oldham corner there were six (or was it eight) players all huddled together in one small area and jostling for position with steam coming off the collective group like it was a bunch of rugby players. Made me laff!

Back