• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

7 points would be very nice indeed,anymore would be excellent .

Tough sequence of games .

On the basis that Automatic promotion is probably beyond us. A return of 7 points from these next 5 games would keep us on the fringes of the Play Offs. Think 2 major decisions need to be made in the next few days. Brown must decide whether young Ted is really the answer in goal. I think he has done really well so it certainly isn't a criticism. The answer for Ted's development is to keep the staus quo. However, if we want to have the best possible chance of the Play Offs should we be looking for an experienced keeper on loan. in the short term ? Who would be a manager ?

I didn't have the benefit seeing the Swindon game just listening on the radio. Sounded as though one of the biggest things we are going to miss is McLaughlin's goal threat. Neither McGlashan or Hines have a particularly good track record of scoring goals. Again do we need a short term fix ?

On the basis that Automatic promotion is probably beyond us. A return of 7 points from these next 5 games would keep us on the fringes of the Play Offs. Think 2 major decisions need to be made in the next few days. Brown must decide whether young Ted is really the answer in goal. I think he has done really well so it certainly isn't a criticism. The answer for Ted's development is to keep the staus quo. However, if we want to have the best possible chance of the Play Offs should we be looking for an experienced keeper on loan. in the short term ? Who would be a manager ?

I didn't have the benefit seeing the Swindon game just listening on the radio. Sounded as though one of the biggest things we are going to miss is McLaughlin's goal threat. Neither McGlashan or Hines have a particularly good track record of scoring goals. Again do we need a short term fix ?

Oxley is not going to be out that long and Ted has done really well in his 3 games. So don't see any need to worry about the keeper position. I know a lot of people thought Ted should go out on loan this January but he looks like he is developing more than ok whilst staying as our number 2.

I've always thought McG plays better on the right so we will probably see Hines as the man to replace McL on the left while he is injured.

Not sure we could improve on our starting 11 as anyone any good or in form would cost money in January. Perhaps a CB for cover and a central mid-fielder would be the only 2 signings we need to look at.

Oxley is not going to be out that long and Ted has done really well in his 3 games. So don't see any need to worry about the keeper position. I know a lot of people thought Ted should go out on loan this January but he looks like he is developing more than ok whilst staying as our number 2.

I've always thought McG plays better on the right so we will probably see Hines as the man to replace McL on the left while he is injured.

Not sure we could improve on our starting 11 as anyone any good or in form would cost money in January. Perhaps a CB for cover and a central mid-fielder would be the only 2 signings we need to look at.

You may be right that we cant get better than what we have, though I have no knowledge of how the budget looks, but we could do with a forward to take some of the strain. We do not have the bench options in that department, and cannot replace like for like two forwards in a match, which means we shoehorn in the likes of JM or eventually play one up front. Cox and Ranger have had their share of niggles and MAF can't be expected to start every game. Don't get me wrong, I think our current forwards are doing very nicely but they need rotation options and sufficient rest when injuries occur.

You may be right that we cant get better than what we have, though I have no knowledge of how the budget looks, but we could do with a forward to take some of the strain. We do not have the bench options in that department, and cannot replace like for like two forwards in a match, which means we shoehorn in the likes of JM or eventually play one up front. Cox and Ranger have had their share of niggles and MAF can't be expected to start every game. Don't get me wrong, I think our current forwards are doing very nicely but they need rotation options and sufficient rest when injuries occur.

January is not a good time for signing players for a club like ours. Summer time when the likes of Cox or Anton are being released is our best option. Yes we do need some cover but at agues I would say that's what they will be.

Unless Ron gets a dose of promotion fever why would he sign say, Jay Simpson with a fee when he will leave on a free in June.

Mooney and Inniss ought to start regular training before the end of the month. Both need to make good impression and finish the season with a promise of a contract for next season.
Mooney might be an option for Cox's role and Innis understudy for Anton.
I have considered that the delays in contracts/extended trials for some of the new signings could also have something to do with PB wanting to be sure that the group dynamics and harmony is not upset.

Last edited:
One key thing we need to do in my opinion is get Wordsworth tied down to a new contract. He has been fantastic this season since finally getting fully fit. Don't think we need cover at all in CM Timlin and Atkinson can cover that if need be and if things get really desperate there is my old buddy King and Jack Bridge also. Williams out on loan is almost done, doesn't free up much wages wise but will be good for the kid to get 6 months of footie under his belt before he looks for a new club in the summer. Think we could allow John White to go either on loan or permanently if the deal was done late in the month with both O'Neill and Coker being fit and Innis back or close to return and there is always AB to cover at CB and young Matzusaka has graced the bench more than one. Hopefully Mooney will be fit once the window closes so that should give us 4 senior fit strikers with a bit of luck. I am happy with the goalie situation Ted more than adequate cover for the Ox for another week or 2. We will miss MacL's goals but not sure there is a lot we can do about that unless someone comes in with goals in them which I could only see happening if MacL is out for the rest of the season. I rather hope he is not.

Can see lots of draws coming up. Having a long unbeaten run sometimes sets the mindset on not losing and you suddenly find yourself with 2 from 6 .... instead of all six. Swindon were certainly there for the beating.

If I were PB I would also be looking at fresh terms with Thompson and Leonard soon esp Thompson. Lenny we have an option for next year with so not so much of a rush but Wordsworth and Thompson are priorities for new contracts as well as Anton now I think of it

Can see lots of draws coming up. Having a long unbeaten run sometimes sets the mindset on not losing and you suddenly find yourself with 2 from 6 .... instead of all six. Swindon were certainly there for the beating.

Indeed. How many draws before your unbeaten run also becomes a run of not winning enough games. Felt like this after Swindon game we really should have beaten them.

Back