• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
Evening guys, and first of all, Happy New Year to everyone :-)

Quick question...... Given that we're in the midst of a barnstorming run - 12 undefeated, in the top 6 - our highest league position for nearly 9 years, and playing some sumptuous football, why have the Phil Brown songs dried up?

I can't recall hearing "Phil Brown's barmy army" or "Phil Brown give us a wave" any time recently, and I'm struggling to understand why?

Apologies if I've been oblivious to this being discussed on here before, and I'm not trying to re-ignite some kind of Brown debate, but given that he has us challenging to achieve something only 2 managers have ever managed in our 110 year history, I'd have thought his name would be sung from the rooftops??

I know we had a slow start, and there was unrest in the camp, and views exchanged about his suitability to be our manager, but we're well beyond that, and whilst it was already proven with us, his managerial credentials have absolutely been confirmed.

Considering what an influential player he is, I'd love to hear something a bit more "special" for Lenny. Couldn't the "magic hat" one be adopted for him?

The answer is quite simple. A % of our support dislike Phil Brown because of his looks and accent.
Or because he spends half his time promoting himself for other jobs and exiling popular players because they challenged his ego.

Seriously Sam, when has he ever done that?
Being asked on the Football League Show about Bolton, denying nothing and going on about his love for the club. Continually saying how much working for England would be a dream come true when Big Sam was appointed.

I don't dislike him but I'm not his biggest fan and can certainly see why people wouldn't like him, to say it's because of "his looks and accent" is ridiculous.

Being asked on the Football League Show about Bolton, denying nothing and going on about his love for the club. Continually saying how much working for England would be a dream come true when Big Sam was appointed.

I don't dislike him but I'm not his biggest fan and can certainly see why people wouldn't like him, to say it's because of "his looks and accent" is ridiculous.

Yawn. Same old same old. Listen if it was down to a few people on here they would have fired PB a couple of months ago without hesitation. Loyalty works both ways - or it should. So I wouldn't blame anyone keeping their options open in the fickle world of football.

As for working for England as a coach it's probably considered the pinnacle of your profession - umm Checkatrade Trophy or World Cup? Tough one that.

Or because he spends half his time promoting himself for other jobs and exiling popular players because they challenged his ego.[/QUOTE

A certain 'popular' player have been dropped from the squad because he is past it. Sad but time catches up with us all in the end. Truth is his career was probably extended by the club for two years longer than even HE could have imagined and let's hope that in time that is the way he looks at it (if he isn't already). As for everyone else you refer to (?) results indicate that they simply weren't good enough if they haven't been involved recently. Good management in my book.

If he's asked a question he has to come up with an answer. You've heard of being "non commital" to a question you don't really want to answer? I'm pretty sure that Ron would have told him quite clearly by now if he wants him to openly say he's not available. And, as for the England tie in, what manager would honestly not want to have a role at that level?

I might prefer him to say that he sees his future staying with Southend but I don't blame him for responding in the way he has. Wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't on TV so much giving Southend a higher profile, would it?!!! :winking:

If he's asked a question he has to come up with an answer. You've heard of being "non commital" to a question you don't really want to answer? I'm pretty sure that Ron would have told him quite clearly by now if he wants him to openly say he's not available. And, as for the England tie in, what manager would honestly not want to have a role at that level?

I might prefer him to say that he sees his future staying with Southend but I don't blame him for responding in the way he has. Wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't on TV so much giving Southend a higher profile, would it?!!! :winking:

This wasn't an after match sky interview, he was on a show where he is paid to give opinions. So an ex Bolton player and assistant manger who's family still live in the town speaks highly of his former club. As Southend fan I'd be really disappointed in him..... If he didn't.

Also noticed that when the crowd was announced, PB was standing and applauding the fans as well.

PB may have let a few players go, but looking at what's happened to them and us since, I make him damn right to!

I have an feeling, has we sacked PB in October, we would be in same position as Chesterfield are now.

Back