• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Blues youngster Finley joins Manchester City for £175,000

Evening Echo

The News
ONE of Southend United brightest young prospects has been snapped up by Premier League giants Manchester City.

More...

Well let's hope the money we get for this kid now and in the future goes into good use for the club.

I read this in the Echo. The kid is 13 but wasn't tested at the under 13's level, so was moved up to the under 16's. That's pretty impressive.

For a club like Man City to come in for him show's we're doing things right. As you say, I hope we get a lot of add on's as well as a good fee upfront.

Man City is a tough place to breakthrough. I'd be interested to know who the other three clubs were...

Lets hope he makes a success of the chance he has and doesn't drift out of the game as many do because the big clubs simply continue to buy foreign players.

"Blues were not willing to disclose the size of Burns’ transfer fee or subsequent payments they may receive."

It's fairly easy to work out.

Joined as an U9, left at 13. £9,000 for his first three years. We're a Category 3 academy, so we'd be due £12,500 for each of his two years spent at the club between 12 and 13. So roughly £34,000 up front.

Subsequent payments only kick in if he starts making first team appearances, so let's not dwell on that just yet.

Not even pocket change to a club like City, yet doesn't even come close to what we have potentially lost.
And the chances are he'll get lost in the system like so many others when he could have come good here, potentially

Not even pocket change to a club like City, yet doesn't even come close to what we have potentially lost.
And the chances are he'll get lost in the system like so many others when he could have come good here, potentially

MCFC's academy is vast, and he will need to be the best of the best to come through. Training facilities are 2nd to none, and they seem to be sccoping up all of the talent from an early age and some of their junior teams are unbelievably superior to others; I read that their U-11 team won a league game 29-1 -v- QPR recently !

Chance in a lifetime for the kid, be interesting to see if he makes it...

MCFC's academy is vast, and he will need to be the best of the best to come through. Training facilities are 2nd to none, and they seem to be sccoping up all of the talent from an early age and some of their junior teams are unbelievably superior to others; I read that their U-11 team won a league game 29-1 -v- QPR recently !

Chance in a lifetime for the kid, be interesting to see if he makes it...

end of last season

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/man-city-11s-beat-qpr-counterparts-29-1-end-season/

175k a record fee for a 13 year old! Let's hope we have loads of clauses in that deal!

Blimey!.. If Matt Hughes of the Times newspaper has got this right... Uncle Ron seems to have the luck of the Irish right now!... I bet his mattress is extra firm from all those bundles of £50 notes.

Come to think of it, knowing us, he was probably paid in all those old fivers that go out of circulation in May. :smile:

As a fan, I've never felt so confidently flushed about our club since those toilets worked in the west stand!

I'm sceptical of the fee, I can't see why they would pay this than the much lower amount under EPPP?

I'm sceptical of the fee, I can't see why they would pay this than the much lower amount under EPPP?

Why?

This mornings papers are also mentioning this.

I'm certain Journalists & newspapers in today's world especially latley, get fined for "false reporting".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-City-spend-175-000-13-year-old-defender.html

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/city-spend-record-fee-on-13-year-old-l7wdpl3vc

They all quote the same amount.

No mention of add on's sadly, but £175K already in the bag, with an another additional 50K if he signs for them professionally.

In other words another possible £225,000 in Ron's HMRC war chest to keep them away! (which he obviously won't pay until deadline)

To be fair, for most of us, as our usual January goes, (And I all think we've been there, it's a bit of a tight month right?.. what with Christmas & New Year etc)

I have to be honest, having a couple of cheque's coming in around the total of the £1.5 million mark isn't so bad...Certainly takes the sting out of things.

:smiles:

Reading Southend and wonderkid in the same sentence, never thought we'd have one of those...

The EPPP appearance fees table I dragged from Wiki in another thread didn't specify if they were for Premier League appearance of appearances for a Premier League club i.e. League Cup and European football. We all know clubs like Arsenal and Tottenham use those competitions to blood their youth players - it could make a big £150k difference to us if he made ten appearances in a cup...

Back