• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I suggest "goalie when" and vainites when picking teams. Jumpers for goalposts.

A game without offside would be horrible to watch. Some time ago I reffed a tourney where we removed offside. Just turned into kick and rush, removing all the skill and guile. It may sound ok on paper, but in practice, we'd all hate it.

I don't agree with limiting players to 60 games a season or limiting games in a season. If you are fit enough to play that amount of games and your team is good enough, then so be it.

Personally, I'd remove some of the pointless international fixtures. There is absolutely no point in England playing Malta in this Qualifying series. Malta, San Marino, Andorra, Faeroes, Scotland, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar etc, all simply turn up and try not to get humped by seven or eight. They learn nothing doing that and wont improve. The better teams simply put players at risk. The paying supporters lose out. Give these nations their own pre-qualifying tournament. That way they are playing like v like in a competitive fixture.

Didn't they try it once with offside only 18 yards from goal - Watney Mann cup maybe?

The games per player limit might be an idea to balance things up but the Chelseas and Man Citys would just buy more players.

I would like to see a ban on all international friendlies. They could use the easier qualy games for practise.

So they are going to bring in a 10 min sin bin for a yellow card in kids/youth and grassroots football from June this year. In principle it sounds a great idea. It should stop abusing the referees and the taking one for the team tackles. Can't really see any downsides except you could be watching 6 a side football for long periods in local derbies.

The EFL have announced that from the beginning of next season, they are to increase the minimum number of home grown players in a match day squad from six to seven.

Although it's only an "English" Football league rulling, I'm presuming the phrase "home grown" refers to players from the United Kingdom as a whole (not just England), meaning Welsh, Scottish & Northern Island players are permitted.

If this is the case, I can see it making no real difference to teams in league's One & Two, & will probably only effect a hand full of the larger / richer teams in the Championship (mainly the teams that get relegated from the Premier league).

Of course, no changes to this rule will be applied to the Premier League!

http://www.efl.com/news/article/201...-opportunities-for-young-players-3661577.aspx

Furthermore, from the beginning of the 2018/19 season, every EFL team will have to name a minimum of one "club developed" player in their match day squad.
"A club-developed player is defined as a player who has been registered to the club for at least a year before the end of his under-19 season."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39517843

Last edited:
Didn't they try it once with offside only 18 yards from goal - Watney Mann cup maybe?

The games per player limit might be an idea to balance things up but the Chelseas and Man Citys would just buy more players.

I would like to see a ban on all international friendlies. They could use the easier qualy games for practise.

Never saw this post at the time so excuse the reply months on.

I once played in a game where offside was only from 18 yards and it totally ruins the game. You just have to leave strikers up there and completely kills the way the game is played.

As annoying as getting caught offside is having an offside rule makes the game what its is. Without one anyone can just stand anywhere on the pitch, theres no need for clever build ups or movement, your striker can just stand in the penalty area all game.

Never saw this post at the time so excuse the reply months on.

I once played in a game where offside was only from 18 yards and it totally ruins the game. You just have to leave strikers up there and completely kills the way the game is played.

As annoying as getting caught offside is having an offside rule makes the game what its is. Without one anyone can just stand anywhere on the pitch, theres no need for clever build ups or movement, your striker can just stand in the penalty area all game.

No manager would allow their striker to stand around goal hanging in the professional game,how many offsides per game on average 15?possibly more...the punter is treated to watching several minutes per game watching the forward scream at the Lino whilst the defender messes about retrieving the ball.

Introduce a thirty yard line,this would stop teams using the offside trap higher up the pitch and allow the attacking team to get the ball upfield IMO.

Why wouldnt a manager allow it ? There would be no reason to bring the striker back, leaving one in their penalty area would mean two defenders forced to stay back and opening up the entire pitch.

It would be exactly what managers would be asking them to do.

Offsides may be frustrating when they happen, but the rule is fundamental in the way the game is played and how football works. No rule would literally ruin the game.

We have a 50 yard rule already, thats fine, a 30 yard rule wouldnt stop offside decisions as very few offsides are higher up than that anyway.

No manager would allow their striker to stand around goal hanging in the professional game,how many offsides per game on average 15?possibly more...the punter is treated to watching several minutes per game watching the forward scream at the Lino whilst the defender messes about retrieving the ball.

Introduce a thirty yard line,this would stop teams using the offside trap higher up the pitch and allow the attacking team to get the ball upfield IMO.

Subbuteo pitch markings ? how 1970's

Why wouldnt a manager allow it ? There would be no reason to bring the striker back, leaving one in their penalty area would mean two defenders forced to stay back and opening up the entire pitch.

It would be exactly what managers would be asking them to do.

Offsides may be frustrating when they happen, but the rule is fundamental in the way the game is played and how football works. No rule would literally ruin the game.

We have a 50 yard rule already, thats fine, a 30 yard rule wouldnt stop offside decisions as very few offsides are higher up than that anyway.

Why would they keep two defenders back marking the forward in the box...one defender and the keeper would be plenty if he stood in the area.

How many times do we see the keeper go long or the defender knocks one over the top and play is halted by a halfway line offside....some teams play the trap very well but it's boring as hell watching it.

For my money the 30 yard line or complete offside ban should be introduced for the FL trophy....if it worked .then great,if not it's not the end of the world.

Plenty of slight rule changes would greatly improve the game but no off-sides is not one of them.

Hockey abolished the offside law making the sport more entertaining,just saying.

You can't launch a hockey ball 70yds in the air, which is exactly what would happen with no off-sides. Think Graham Taylor or John Beck on steroids.

They tried t kick-ins instead of throws a few years back. Teams just started to load the box with big lads and launched the ball in from every angle, even from the half way line. That said I have always thought for junior football a kick-in but under head height would be better.

Back