• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Windows 10

MK Shrimper

Striker
Anyone else fed up with this piece of ***** OS? It seems to randomly hang every so often for a couple of minutes, the Edge Browser freezes. Seriously considering going back to W7.

yes its rubbish the on ly good thing is the scenery at the start.

Edge is rubbish, get Chrome or Firefox instead and you'll have less issues. As for the lag I'd check what programmes are getting opened from start up (you can see this from ctrl alt del task manager), I found a lot of things I didn't want were opening at startup which was slowing down my PC, disabling them sped me up a lot. If it's a laptop I'd check what the power settings are when not plugged in, Windows 10 likes to conserve power by slowing everything down unless you tell it not to. My main problem though was that my computer unhelpfully had a free trial of McAfee Antivirus, and unless you download the dedicated uninstaller it will still cause problems even if you delete it.

I had Chrome and that lagged - "checking cache" locked it up as well. The only thing that's putting off downgrading is casting to my telly.

Works perfectly for me, really fast and this is running on my PC I bought about 5 years ago. Maybe you're hardware is faulty?

I dumped the Edge browser as soon as I had windows 10 working. I normally use IE11 which is pretty stable. That said Windows 10 is an intrusive system and Windows 7 or 8.1 was much better.

Works perfectly for me, really fast and this is running on my PC I bought about 5 years ago. Maybe you're hardware is faulty?

It's a fairly new laptop Mr P, and what I've seen from googling is that it's a common issue.

I don't use Edge and haven't used IE for years either. I haven't had any major issues with Windows 10, a couple of annoying little things but that could just be the computer.

So tried a dual boot system - partitioned the drive, tried to install W7 on the partition, but even then Windows 10 put a block on that somehow. Considering doing a dual boot with Ubuntu, but had security issues in the past with that so may have to live with the annoying freezes, at least until Microsoft bring out a fix.

Me too, but I got done with some internet fraud thanks to the fact everyone says you don't need an anti virus/firewall on it so I shan't be using it again.

Fraudsters never used to target Linux because there weren't enough people using it for it to be worth their while. Even so, I used to run it with some sort of security (although I can't remember what) because it seemed too cavalier to me not to.

Still got rid of it though, because my wife hated it.

I've found Windows 10 to be solid.

I work in IT so see it plenty. It has its annoyances, with the typical Microsoft moving options around in unintuitive places and adding an extra click to get it, but mainly thats for things you wouldnt use on a day to day basis. (eg VPN set ups).

Edge is crap, I always use Chrome as IE is too slow. They push Edge on people and hide IE, when Edge isnt even compatible with 365 functionality which annoys me regularly.

However as an OS its far better than that Windows 8 garbage.

Did some huge updates the other day, turned it on this morning and the hard drive had died :hilarious:

Fortunately still in warranty and there's a mountain of laptops at work to "borrow".

I've found Windows 10 to be solid.

I work in IT so see it plenty. It has its annoyances, with the typical Microsoft moving options around in unintuitive places and adding an extra click to get it, but mainly thats for things you wouldnt use on a day to day basis. (eg VPN set ups).

Edge is crap, I always use Chrome as IE is too slow. They push Edge on people and hide IE, when Edge isnt even compatible with 365 functionality which annoys me regularly.

However as an OS its far better than that Windows 8 garbage.

We've been advised at work that all new DELL desktops/laptops will incorporate the new Intel Kaby Lake CPU from the end of Q2, and the new CPU architecture does not support any other legacy Windows OS, only Win10.

Update - I got my laptop back with a new hard drive, and I was installing and copying over stuff and I didn't get a lock up once, which made me think that it was due to the old hard drive failing. Time will tell.

Back