• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
The fact that a post explaining how the captain of Southend United showed his support for WHU at Millwall and the fact that it is a West Ham post "liked" by Shrimpers leaves me aghast. Add to that comments left by Southend United fans glorifying in singing "Millwall run from West Ham"...UNBELIVABLE.
For years we have had to put up with comments about being plastic Hammers and then - at Millwall of all places - we humiliate our support by proving the bloody point!

The fact that a post explaining how the captain of Southend United showed his support for WHU at Millwall and the fact that it is a West Ham post "liked" by Shrimpers leaves me aghast. Add to that comments left by Southend United fans glorifying in singing "Millwall run from West Ham"...UNBELIVABLE.
For years we have had to put up with comments about being plastic Hammers and then - at Millwall of all places - we humiliate our support by proving the bloody point!

They had been giving it large all day, including racial abuse. So it was not showing support for WHU, more a case of **** off you ignorant bunch of *****.

In fairness to Millwall that was only one section of their support. A few of us went in a local pub to watch the Rugby and were treated well. Had a good chat with a very sensible Millwall lad and his mates

BUt how does it look to Millwall and their supporters (good and bad)?? In effect we sang "gonna get my big bruvver on to you". Honestly how sad do we look? Sing nothing back to wind them up...or sing something about our club.

BUt how does it look to Millwall and their supporters (good and bad)?? In effect we sang "gonna get my big bruvver on to you". Honestly how sad do we look? Sing nothing back to wind them up...or sing something about our club.

Spot on Kev. We hate west ham, we have to put up with them invading our area, cheering on their team in our pubs. They even opened a shop in our high street FFS. It's embarrassing that our captain has done this and even more embarrassing that some of our so-called fans are condoning it. Some people need to brush up on their history.

They had been giving it large all day, including racial abuse. So it was not showing support for WHU, more a case of **** off you ignorant bunch of *****.

In fairness to Millwall that was only one section of their support. A few of us went in a local pub to watch the Rugby and were treated well. Had a good chat with a very sensible Millwall lad and his mates
I understand why he did it, but that doesn't make it right and I won't be spending any time trying to justify his actions. If you don't see anything wrong with it then you are severely blinkered. As for our fans likening the post, I'm lost for words

Couldn't care less to be honest who Anton shows his support for, as long as he gives his all on the pitch for us when in a Southend shirt, that is enough for me.

He hasn't done it in any other match, so draw your own conclusions from that!

I cannot imagine Wayne Rooney captaining Manchester United at Anfield, getting the abuse he expects and then turn to The Kop and give an Everton gesture. He would instead probably do the badge bit
.he would realise that despite his support of Everton - he is captain of Man Utd.

I understand why he did it, but that doesn't make it right and I won't be spending any time trying to justify his actions. If you don't see anything wrong with it then you are severely blinkered. As for our fans likening the post, I'm lost for words

To be fair it would have been bloody difficult to have produced the Essex flag, a shrimp, waves and a football in response to the abuse he had to endure.

I cannot imagine Wayne Rooney captaining Manchester United at Anfield, getting the abuse he expects and then turn to The Kop and give an Everton gesture. He would instead probably do the badge bit
.he would realise that despite his support of Everton - he is captain of Man Utd.

could not agree more, great analagy

Totally agree with the opening post. As a professional footballer, he shouldn't react - even though what was on the end of was nasty, personal vile and wholly unpleasant. I don't want to see the captain of Southend United making West Ham United gestures. Ever.

Indeed.

Angry mob of vilifying loons get a bit back in return, shocker! :omg:

I go to work (pest control) and I get absolutely no abuse.

Some people are less fortunate and have to put up with some unpleasantness from time to time.

What I don't understand is why "some people" think it is "okay" or "acceptable" for any professional footballer to be abused?

It would have been better if this thread had been about criticising the morons who are being abusive rather than attacking a Southend player who has had to put up with the abuse, wouldn't it?

Hash tag: Forgoodnesssakewhereareourstandards?

I absolutely hate West Ham. But, while Anton probably shouldn't have done that both as a professional footballer and as captain of Southend United, he is a West Ham fan and former player, he'd taken dogs abuse and I couldn't begrudge him his moment of giving a little back.

What he did is neither right nor wrong.

It's a bit of banter... yes it could have boiled over but he knew his action would kick them back in the teeth after receiving abuse the whole game.

Why are you so bothered? In the context, does it matter? No!

Absolutely no issue with what Anton did, he has made it clear he's a West Ham fan and he did then actually turn to our fans behind the goal and pat the badge on his shirt. "Yeah, I'm a West Ham fan and that was a **** you to them lot but I'm giving my all for the cause here"

Ben Coker however could have faced punishment if what he did was caught by camera!

Back