Likes Likes:  62
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If SUFC ever moved , Whats too far ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WickfordShrimper View Post
    Basildon would be the best option

Just ask Vic Jobson
    Bloody good trick that would be bearing in mind he's been dead about 12 years.
    See fbm on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fatblokemarge
    Follow the fbm blog - http://sowhogetscustodyofthenectarpoints.blogspot.com/

Founder member of B.O.O.B.S - Brown, Our Orange Big Shot

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    Basildon is only 60 years old , initially populated by fanilies relocated from east london.
    Any football alegiances will still be the fÓmily ties I would imagine
    Not quite... Basildon is very old but Basildon New Town is about 60.

My cousin and her husband were some of the first intake of new inhabitants, given terrific incentives I think to move there. They were teachers. Now live in Durham as he was from Newcastle originally. All of which is completely irrelevant of course.
    See fbm on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fatblokemarge
    Follow the fbm blog - http://sowhogetscustodyofthenectarpoints.blogspot.com/

Founder member of B.O.O.B.S - Brown, Our Orange Big Shot

Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear up the cagire View Post
    Well, if Foulness isn't getting London's third airport........................
    Who needs smoke bombs when we would have the real thing !!

I haven't got a problem with us moving to Rochford, considering it's been there for much longer than Southend, which was developed mainly in the Victorian era, when the railway was developed. Indeed some of Southend's borough is on land which once was Rochford and since at the council meeting, those many years ago, when Rochford council gave the planning permission the green light, one of their main objections was that part of the Fossett Farm development in their boundry was on green belt. However, the arguement put forward by some of councellors that evening that although building on Green Belt was not desirable, better for a recreational use with the stadium/training pitches, than later in time, who knows what if the law is changed.

So since Rochford could have scuppered that and the historical link to the the land, over all Rochford I'd have no problem with, especially with their help for the club. Wakering with all the transport issues's also fine, as would Shoebury. But Hockley/Rayleigh too far away for me and too near Wet Spam country of Basildon as other people have mentioned it is.
    LAST MINUTE! LAST MINUTE!

Quote Originally Posted by ColinMorrisWalksOnWater View Post
    I haven't got a problem with us moving to Rochford, considering it's been there for much longer than Southend, which was developed mainly in the Victorian era, when the railway was developed. Indeed some of Southend's borough is on land which once was Rochford and since at the council meeting, those many years ago, when Rochford council gave the planning permission the green light, one of their main objections was that part of the Fossett Farm development in their boundry was on green belt. However, the arguement put forward by some of councellors that evening that although building on Green Belt was not desirable, better for a recreational use with the stadium/training pitches, than later in time, who knows what if the law is changed.

So since Rochford could have scuppered that and the historical link to the the land, over all Rochford I'd have no problem with, especially with their help for the club. Wakering with all the transport issues's also fine, as would Shoebury. But Hockley/Rayleigh too far away for me and too near Wet Spam country of Basildon as other people have mentioned it is.
    Interesting, maybe if the ground was built all on "Rochford" ground, off Sutton Road, it would get the go ahead quicker; RDC would get the extra rates and wouldn't give 2 hoots on the High Street/Seafront argument.

For me, anywhere West of the Castle Point/Southend boundary is too far. I wouldn't mind being in Rochford, but Hockley and beyond is pushing it a bit. Heck, they can go and build the new ground down the end of the Pier if they like, if it's in Southend, then it doesn't get any better with a club of our name.
    S.U.F.C, the team for me!

Director

Just wondering where Orient were thinking of moving Essex too,maybe somewhere on the Meditteranean might be nice.

I think Rayleigh on a potential fan base grounds. By moving there would mean that the football club would be surrounded by potential fans. Problem is at the moment much of the catchment area is water and fish do not watch football!

Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar

Anywhere within the SS postcode - if it ensured the future of our club then I wouldn't have an issue with it anywhere within those boundaries.....although I wouldn't be happy with anything long term that far out.

I moved from Hornchurch to Billericay when I was 6 , My Father liked football but had no allegiance to any particular team. When my Brother and I wanted to go to a football match he chose a Southend game because it was a lot easier to get to, a Friday night so he could take us with out it impacting on work (he used to do overtime on Saturday mornings and he could pick Granddad up from Wickford on the way.

Had my Mums father not died when I was 8 months old, it may have been a different story, He was a Spurs season ticket holder (he died of a heart attack on the way home from a 4-4 draw in February 59) So I reckon he would have taken me to my First game at White Hart Lane before I went to Roots Hall in 67.

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

I moved from Hornchurch to Billericay when I was 6 , My Father liked football but had no allegiance to any particular team. When my Brother and I wanted to go to a football match he chose a Southend game because it was a lot easier to get to, a Friday night so he could take us with out it impacting on work (he used to do overtime on Saturday mornings and he could pick Granddad up from Wickford on the way.

Had my Mums father not died when I was 8 months old, it may have been a different story, He was a Spurs season ticket holder (he died of a heart attack on the way home from a 4-4 draw in February 59) So I reckon he would have taken me to my First game at White Hart Lane before I went to Roots Hall in 67.
    You could have done worse. My dad was a Spurs regular and took me along to see the Spurs team of the early 60s who were a joy to watch. Being born in Rayleigh and going to school there meant that I had to make the choice of going to Southend with my school mates or going to Spurs with the old man. Southend won easily, on local loyalty and games, and after that the Blues were my team. I still have a soft spot for the Spurs though.

Quote Originally Posted by buffalowolf View Post
    Just wondering where Orient were thinking of moving Essex too,maybe somewhere on the Meditteranean might be nice.
    Gets to crowded. The coast near Bordeaux would suite me, as an independent state of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jai View Post
    Sort of with Kev on this one. 90% of me says it has to be within the borough of Southend.

Yet there are some grey areas with that. Southend is a linear settlement and places to the north like Rochford and even Hockley are as easy to get to from the centre of Southend as somewhere like Leigh. Those towns are effectively suburbs of Southend - there's little or no green lung separating them from the borough - So for example if the stadium was built north of borough but no further than a couple of miles from the boundary I'd probably be OK with it.

Also, you've got areas of Southend like Thorpe Bay and Leigh where some of the snootier residents try and distance themselves from being in Southend altogether and certainly wouldn't welcome a stadium on their doorstep. It's a weird one. I think you've got to look into transport links too. Great Wakering is not far but a bitch to get to if you don't drive, for example.
    If you can find a bit of space in Leigh on which to build a football stadium you're doing well.

i always thought that a new stadium at Guners park as part of a sports compex, athletics swimming pool etc would work.

Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar

i always thought that a new stadium at Guners park as part of a sports compex, athletics swimming pool etc would work.
    The site that would have really worked for me was the old Ekco works and grounds at Cuckoo Corner after FDR etc left the town. Nice and close to Roots Hall and memories and still walkable from Prittlewell for trains and bus routes already established.