• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firestorm

Pedant
The comments on other threads about travelling home fans and Arsenal got me thinking.
Over the years A number of clubs have made moves of significant distance, out of the town etc, whether its temporary or permanent.
Wimbledon to MK, Arsenal from South of the River to North, Millwall North of the River to South, Coventry to Northampton, , Charlton to West ham . Orient have discussed moving Essex for the past 40 years !

If SUFC were to follow the Rubins' idea of years ago , how far or where, would make you say "enough" ? Out of the borough ? out of the County ? or maybe moving onto another teams patch would be "unethical"

The comments on other threads about travelling home fans and Arsenal got me thinking.
Over the years A number of clubs have made moves of significant distance, out of the town etc, whether its temporary or permanent.
Wimbledon to MK, Arsenal from South of the River to North, Millwall North of the River to South, Coventry to Northampton, , Charlton to West ham . Orient have discussed moving Essex for the past 40 years !

If SUFC were to follow the Rubins' idea of years ago , how far or where, would make you say "enough" ? Out of the borough ? out of the County ? or maybe moving onto another teams patch would be "unethical"

Orient have always had ideas above their station.

Outside the boundary of Southend then we are no longer Southend United.

I believe parts of Fossett Farm may be in Rochford District Council area, as is part of the airport, Wakering etc.
So for me, and taking into account the fan base, then east of the Rayleigh Weir and south of the Crouch is ok to still be SUFC.

I believe parts of Fossett Farm may be in Rochford District Council area, as is part of the airport, Wakering etc.
So for me, and taking into account the fan base, then east of the Rayleigh Weir and south of the Crouch is ok to still be SUFC.

That is correct. The new training ground and overflow car park will be north of Fossets way, so it will be on RDC's land. They won't allow any building on that bit so the 2 domes will be South West of the stadium.

I believe parts of Fossetts may live on a rainbow populated by unicorns and fairies.

Basildon would be the best option

Just ask Vic Jobson

White working classes from London. with no real local league team to support

re-name us South Essex United FC

Also great catchment from Shoeburyness to M25 :-)

15000 to 25000 crowd in a top notch stadium no worries

Sort of with Kev on this one. 90% of me says it has to be within the borough of Southend.

Yet there are some grey areas with that. Southend is a linear settlement and places to the north like Rochford and even Hockley are as easy to get to from the centre of Southend as somewhere like Leigh. Those towns are effectively suburbs of Southend - there's little or no green lung separating them from the borough - So for example if the stadium was built north of borough but no further than a couple of miles from the boundary I'd probably be OK with it.

Also, you've got areas of Southend like Thorpe Bay and Leigh where some of the snootier residents try and distance themselves from being in Southend altogether and certainly wouldn't welcome a stadium on their doorstep. It's a weird one. I think you've got to look into transport links too. Great Wakering is not far but a bitch to get to if you don't drive, for example.

Basildon would be the best option

Just ask Vic Jobson

White working classes from London. with no real local league team to support

re-name us South Essex United FC

Also great catchment from Shoeburyness to M25 :-)

15000 to 25000 crowd in a top notch stadium no worries

Us Basildonians have West Ham and Orient to follow, and if we want a bit more class Dagenham just down the road:smile:

UTS

Southend United belongs within the boundaries of the borough, with a bit of overlap into Rochford if necessary. Anywhere outside of that perimeter and it stops being Southend United.

Probably weirdly I've always thought of South and Central Essex to really be Southend, Chelmsford, Colchester and then suburbs of those. Then you get towards the West of the county which is London in all but name. I've always felt that even as far as Basildon and Wickford are really just extensions of Southend. Certainly Rochford and Rayleigh would be. I wouldn't drop my support of the club if they moved to one of those areas, so long as the name remained.

Probably weirdly I've always thought of South and Central Essex to really be Southend, Chelmsford, Colchester and then suburbs of those. Then you get towards the West of the county which is London in all but name. I've always felt that even as far as Basildon and Wickford are really just extensions of Southend. Certainly Rochford and Rayleigh would be. I wouldn't drop my support of the club if they moved to one of those areas, so long as the name remained.

Loads of Southend United FC Fans living in Wickford, Benfleet, Pitsea, Vange, and Basildon already ...

I feel London clubs are not local teams just for kids at school a big team to support until you get older and grow up ... not like our Beloved Southend United FC :-) truly local South Essex Club :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX !!

Basildon people don't see it that way. They distance any connection with Southend. They also see Wickford as an extension of Basildon. That's why it's crazy that a town the size of Basildon, which is only a few miles away, doesn't have a lot of SUFC supporters. It's a connection that should have been made by now by our club, as it's an untapped goldmine for getting more supporters on board. As I've said before, I know they mostly support the London clubs, but they must be fed up of paying Premiership prices, especially when taking along family members.

Basildon is only 60 years old , initially populated by fanilies relocated from east london.
Any football alegiances will still be the fàmily ties I would imagine

Basildon is only 60 years old , initially populated by fanilies relocated from east london.
Any football alegiances will still be the fàmily ties I would imagine
That's certainly how I've always seen it. I moved to Basildon from North West London in 1975, hardly any of my school friends were Basildon born, or even Essex born, and those that were all still had strong family ties with the parts of the London they'd moved from. Almost everyone I knew at school supported Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and (of course) Wet Sham. Never met an SUFC fan until I was in my 20s.

Back