• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Basildon is only 60 years old , initially populated by fanilies relocated from east london.
Any football alegiances will still be the fàmily ties I would imagine

Exactly this, Basildon / Vange / Pitsea / Wickford are mainly populated by WetSpam supporters, with a splattering of Gooners; who moved from the slums of East London during the early 70's, and there is no way I want our ground to be in Basildon or Castle Point districts, or anywhere within those boundaries. Otherwise we will get more of the likes of "Well I support WHU,, can't afford tickets so I watch Southend..."

I would rather have 7-8k fans who are passionate about our club and are no1 supporters than us being a secondary team. The atmosphere would suffer. Anywhere outside of SS0 to SS2 postcodes isn't really Southend territory.

I feel The links west are historic family ones, however when my father moved to Wickford in 75 he said I should decide whether I wanted to be a supporter or a follower.... the difference is simple to explain to me he said , a supporter goes to games, a follower doesn't .. and son you should ALWAYS support your local team.... Can't thank you enough dad, teaching me the traditions that I hold so dear ....

Exactly this, Basildon / Vange / Pitsea / Wickford are mainly populated by WetSpam supporters, with a splattering of Gooners; who moved from the slums of East London during the early 70's, and there is no way I want our ground to be in Basildon or Castle Point districts, or anywhere within those boundaries. Otherwise we will get more of the likes of "Well I support WHU,, can't afford tickets so I watch Southend..."

I would rather have 7-8k fans who are passionate about our club and are no1 supports than us being a secondary team. The atmosphere would suffer. Anywhere outside of SS0 to SS2 postcodes isn't really Southend territory.

I grew up in Hockley and I was only one of a few in my year at school who supported Blues back then. Since then, loads of my old school friends have become regulars and I notice there are a lot more young Blues fans around there than there were before the Tilly days, when I think our support increased a lot. Before that, it was a very bleak time to be a Shrimper.

I think part of it is, as time goes on, the mass migration from East London in the 50s, 60s and 70s is diluted. Sure, a lot of those spammers and Spurs fans will indoctrinate their own youngsters to carry it on, but a lot of them get disillusioned with the prices and the falseness of it all and prefer to look to their own local team.

I'm now finding quite a few of my peers who grew up this way but supported London clubs are encouraging their kids to support Southend as their local team as they are disillusioned with the way the Premier League clubs just ignore and fleece their fans.

Probably weirdly I've always thought of South and Central Essex to really be Southend, Chelmsford, Colchester and then suburbs of those. Then you get towards the West of the county which is London in all but name. I've always felt that even as far as Basildon and Wickford are really just extensions of Southend. Certainly Rochford and Rayleigh would be. I wouldn't drop my support of the club if they moved to one of those areas, so long as the name remained.

As many of the post codes suggest,i'am a Baso man by birth now living in Stanford,in my opinion Southend utd should never leave Southend.

I feel The links west are historic family ones, however when my father moved to Wickford in 75 he said I should decide whether I wanted to be a supporter or a follower.... the difference is simple to explain to me he said , a supporter goes to games, a follower doesn't .. and son you should ALWAYS support your local team.... Can't thank you enough dad, teaching me the traditions that I hold so dear ....

How are Wickford Town doing these days?

I think Rochford to the North or West, or as far as Shoeburyness to the East would be OK. Moving a little out of town isn't an issue as long as it's managed well. Down here in Brighton, travel throughout a wide area is free if you have a ticket for the match.

Basildon is only 60 years old , initially populated by fanilies relocated from east london.
Any football alegiances will still be the fàmily ties I would imagine

Not quite... Basildon is very old but Basildon New Town is about 60.

My cousin and her husband were some of the first intake of new inhabitants, given terrific incentives I think to move there. They were teachers. Now live in Durham as he was from Newcastle originally. All of which is completely irrelevant of course.

I haven't got a problem with us moving to Rochford, considering it's been there for much longer than Southend, which was developed mainly in the Victorian era, when the railway was developed. Indeed some of Southend's borough is on land which once was Rochford and since at the council meeting, those many years ago, when Rochford council gave the planning permission the green light, one of their main objections was that part of the Fossett Farm development in their boundry was on green belt. However, the arguement put forward by some of councellors that evening that although building on Green Belt was not desirable, better for a recreational use with the stadium/training pitches, than later in time, who knows what if the law is changed.

So since Rochford could have scuppered that and the historical link to the the land, over all Rochford I'd have no problem with, especially with their help for the club. Wakering with all the transport issues's also fine, as would Shoebury. But Hockley/Rayleigh too far away for me and too near Wet Spam country of Basildon as other people have mentioned it is.

I haven't got a problem with us moving to Rochford, considering it's been there for much longer than Southend, which was developed mainly in the Victorian era, when the railway was developed. Indeed some of Southend's borough is on land which once was Rochford and since at the council meeting, those many years ago, when Rochford council gave the planning permission the green light, one of their main objections was that part of the Fossett Farm development in their boundry was on green belt. However, the arguement put forward by some of councellors that evening that although building on Green Belt was not desirable, better for a recreational use with the stadium/training pitches, than later in time, who knows what if the law is changed.

So since Rochford could have scuppered that and the historical link to the the land, over all Rochford I'd have no problem with, especially with their help for the club. Wakering with all the transport issues's also fine, as would Shoebury. But Hockley/Rayleigh too far away for me and too near Wet Spam country of Basildon as other people have mentioned it is.

Interesting, maybe if the ground was built all on "Rochford" ground, off Sutton Road, it would get the go ahead quicker; RDC would get the extra rates and wouldn't give 2 hoots on the High Street/Seafront argument.

For me, anywhere West of the Castle Point/Southend boundary is too far. I wouldn't mind being in Rochford, but Hockley and beyond is pushing it a bit. Heck, they can go and build the new ground down the end of the Pier if they like, if it's in Southend, then it doesn't get any better with a club of our name.

I think Rayleigh on a potential fan base grounds. By moving there would mean that the football club would be surrounded by potential fans. Problem is at the moment much of the catchment area is water and fish do not watch football!

Anywhere within the SS postcode - if it ensured the future of our club then I wouldn't have an issue with it anywhere within those boundaries.....although I wouldn't be happy with anything long term that far out.

I moved from Hornchurch to Billericay when I was 6 , My Father liked football but had no allegiance to any particular team. When my Brother and I wanted to go to a football match he chose a Southend game because it was a lot easier to get to, a Friday night so he could take us with out it impacting on work (he used to do overtime on Saturday mornings and he could pick Granddad up from Wickford on the way.

Had my Mums father not died when I was 8 months old, it may have been a different story, He was a Spurs season ticket holder (he died of a heart attack on the way home from a 4-4 draw in February 59) So I reckon he would have taken me to my First game at White Hart Lane before I went to Roots Hall in 67.

Back