Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Minutes from latest Supporters Groups Forum meeting

  
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    (Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W, again.
    Posts
    1,069

    Default Minutes from latest Supporters Groups Forum meeting

    Please find copied below the minutes from the latest Supporter Groups Forum meeting held on 8th February 2017 to keep anyone who's interested in the loop.

    SOUTHEND UNITED SUPPORTERS GROUP
    Committee Meeting at the Shrimpers Bar
    7.30pm 8th February 2017
    In attendance; Chair Ken Jarvis Shrimper Zone; Dan McEvoy Blue Voice; Lesley Hicks Shrimpers Trust; Ken Taylor Travel Zone; Trevor Harp Shrimper Zone; Keith Baker Essex Police; Daren Posnack Shrimpers Trust.
    Apologies from Ron Alexander Disabled Supporters.

    Ken Jarvis stated that Ron Alexander had asked Ken if he could bring up at the meeting of the problem of supporters standing at home matches and blocking the view of disabled supporters in the West Stand in particular. The Chair asked Keith Baker if they could liaise with David Jobson to see if security stewards could cure the problem.

    Mike Davis
    submitted a point as to the continued problem as seen at the Scunthorpe game of smoke bombs being used from a group of Blues supporters.
    Keith Baker stated that they are sure now who the group are and are waiting now to witness them in the act via CCTV.
    Ken Taylor said there is also a worry that these individuals are rolling the smoke bombs under the seats so that other fans may be blamed when they are set off, Keith said they were aware of that and there would be evidence as to who has set them off.
    Keith Baker also stated that there are new ways of detecting pyros before they are brought into the ground. Also stated they can also cause personal injury and crowd issues.

    Keith
    stated that the Police had worked with Southend United safety officer and club bans had been issued to individuals involved in ASB (anti social behaviour) Police has not issued football bans.
    Working with ASB youth supporters with engagement and education. Arresting and applying for football banning orders are a last resort.

    Ken Taylor
    mentioned that there had also been an issue of drinking out in the street. Keith Baker stated it only happened on big match days at the Blue Boar when away fans found the pub overflowing, in general the Doorman are very good in maintaining good order on the premises. Keith also stated that the problems at the Blue Boar had in fact only happened once this season.

    Mike Davis mentioned the poor state of the entrance to the West Stand outside of the turnstiles. It appears not to be cleaned up after a number of match days. A number of plastic drink bottles, food cartons and wrappers have evident for a number of home games. Not a very good advert for the ground and newcomers. David Jobson to be informed.

    Ken Taylor
    stated that at the last meeting that Commercial Director Danny Macklin agreed to investigate the problems with toilets and the speed of serving drinks at half time.
    Danny accepted a request to tour the stadium to in order that the problem areas could be pointed out. As a result the ladies and gents toilets that serve the East Blacks/Greens have been refurbished, and all other stadium toilets will be considered for refurbishment. No information yet as to how the serving of drinks can carried out in a quicker manner in the West Stand. It was stated that it would be difficult to offer other areas because of the licencing laws. An open vote has been carried out as to what other beers (from our current suppliers) supporters would like to see offered.

    All of the committee were concerned over the general state of the ground and the general customer service on offer.

    Other issues were late selling of programmes on the West Side of the ground and the problems with Tannoy system in the same area.

    Dan McEvoy
    mentioned that the next home game was a kidís day and perhaps streamers/balloons could be handed out to the youngsters but they have little or no funds available. Ken Jarvis stated that he would talk to a marketing company known to him to see if they could help with price and short notice.

    Mike Davis
    was thanked for undertaking the task of the minutes and all were informed why the Club had to view the last minutes first.

    It was also agreed that in future the minutes would be agreed by the Committee and could then be circulated to individual groups members.

    It was agreed at the close of the meeting to invite Danny Macklin to the next meetingand the next date would be Wednesday 12th April 7.30pm.

    Meeting closed at 9.15

    MJD

    ACTION POINTS
    Dave Jobson; To be informed of untidy appearance of entrance to the West Stand.
    Tannoy system in West Stand still giving issues
    Security to be informed of fans standing up in front of disabled fans
    Ken Jarvis; To talk to Outstanding Branding about balloons and streamers for next home game.



    As always, McNasty and myself welcome any feedback or issues that you feel need to be aired at the Forum.

    As you can see we are making some headway on some issues, slowly but surely, and the forum is a useful conduit as the issues are discussed, in an open and honest manner, between the supporters groups, the club, and the Police with the club's dedicated Police Football Liaison Officer, PC Keith Baker, regularly attending.
    First game under the Friday night lights at the Hall, 25/3/66 England Amateurs 3, Scotland Amateurs 3.

    First ride on the Shrimpers rollercoaster, Friday, 8/4/66, Shrimpers 5, Gills 2 Eddie Firmani hat trick

  2. #2

    Default

    Why wasn't SUISA represented?
    Who's this Rorschach guy and why is he so good at drawing pictures of my Dad beating me?

  3. #3
    Alpha Male Mad Cyril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Flavour country
    Posts
    12,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napster View Post
    Why wasn't SUISA represented?
    Or SPECTRE?
    Ponce.

    Perfumed Ponce.

  4. #4

    Default

    Thank you for publishing these minutes. On the issue of standing supporters blocking the view of disabled fans, it is not just registered disabled supporters who suffer the problem. I wouldn't qualify for disability registration but I am unable to stand still for long periods or to get up and down from my seat too easily these days, so I sit close to the corners of the stands where there are rarely any of the standing supporters to get in my way on the somewhat rare occasions when I attend matches. I fully understand a lot of fans' preference for standing to watch the match (as I always did when I was a young man) and feel that clubs should pursue the idea of providing safe standing areas at all grounds.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cyril View Post
    Or SPECTRE?
    and Smersh??
    "Since I was young "........

  6. #6

    Default

    FF is still year's away if ever.

    Spoke to Danny as he asked me for input.

    Ideas are as follows.

    Away fans have zero catering as far as I know...thousands of visitors are without food and refreshments.

    Remedy...purchase couple of porta cabins ,join them together,fit out with tables and chairs and hey presto we have an away cafe!..secondhand cabins can be purchased very cheaply...I reckon the start up cost of everything including fitting a kitchen maybe £5000...this would be recouped in one season IMO.

    Car park catering van owned by the club...park it next door to the programme hut....easy money.

    South upper t bar selling cold drinks crisps sweets and sandwiches ,rope off the queuing area to stop congestion.

    I understand the Hall is falling apart...but how many home fans attend each season 140,000 plus currently....how many of those would spend a fiver or tenner or even more on decent grub or snacks?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsblue View Post
    FF is still year's away if ever.

    Spoke to Danny as he asked me for input.

    Ideas are as follows.

    Away fans have zero catering as far as I know...thousands of visitors are without food and refreshments.

    Remedy...purchase couple of porta cabins ,join them together,fit out with tables and chairs and hey presto we have an away cafe!..secondhand cabins can be purchased very cheaply...I reckon the start up cost of everything including fitting a kitchen maybe £5000...this would be recouped in one season IMO.

    Car park catering van owned by the club...park it next door to the programme hut....easy money.

    South upper t bar selling cold drinks crisps sweets and sandwiches ,rope off the queuing area to stop congestion.

    I understand the Hall is falling apart...but how many home fans attend each season 140,000 plus currently....how many of those would spend a fiver or tenner or even more on decent grub or snacks?

    You are right, I have often thought that away supporters are poorly treated. Always thought that Wycombe have the right (cheap) idea of creating a beer tent for away fans

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Streaky View Post
    You are right, I have often thought that away supporters are poorly treated. Always thought that Wycombe have the right (cheap) idea of creating a beer tent for away fans

    Exactly.

    Let's say 10,000 visit us each season(that figure is averaging under 500 per game) 10% buy 2 bottles of beer each(plastic) that is 2000 bottles per season at £4 a pop=£8000 just on those figures....2 bottles are just over one pint,I reckon the total sales could be 10,000 bottles even more...add the food cafe thing then the income could easily be very tasty.

  9. #9
    Duggee hug! MK Shrimper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In a phone box arguing with myself
    Posts
    44,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsblue View Post
    Exactly.

    Let's say 10,000 visit us each season(that figure is averaging under 500 per game) 10% buy 2 bottles of beer each(plastic) that is 2000 bottles per season at £4 a pop=£8000 just on those figures....2 bottles are just over one pint,I reckon the total sales could be 10,000 bottles even more...add the food cafe thing then the income could easily be very tasty.
    Wow, Mrs B where do you get free beer to sell? I'd keep it quiet.

    #don'topenabusiness

  10. #10
    Zone Managing Director mcnasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Otley, West Yorks
    Posts
    15,819
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napster View Post
    Why wasn't SUISA represented?
    I know something you don't.
    MAKE A DONATION TOWARDS THE RUNNING COSTS OF SHRIMPERZONE:


    www.shrimperzone.com



  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MK Shrimper View Post
    Wow, Mrs B where do you get free beer to sell? I'd keep it quiet.

    #don'topenabusiness

    Spain....2 litres of San M.....99 cents....profit profit profit

    Flog to away fans £5 per pint..the mark up is eye watering.

  12. #12
    Duggee hug! MK Shrimper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In a phone box arguing with myself
    Posts
    44,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsblue View Post
    Spain....2 litres of San M.....99 cents....profit profit profit

    Flog to away fans £5 per pint..the mark up is eye watering.
    Imagine the import duty on that come Brexit eh?

  13. #13
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    (Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W, again.
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsblue View Post
    Exactly.

    Let's say 10,000 visit us each season(that figure is averaging under 500 per game) 10% buy 2 bottles of beer each(plastic) that is 2000 bottles per season at £4 a pop=£8000 just on those figures....2 bottles are just over one pint,I reckon the total sales could be 10,000 bottles even more...add the food cafe thing then the income could easily be very tasty.
    Headline figures are always very tempting until you start looking at the real figures.

    Cost of a premises licence £100-1200 depending on rateable value.
    Porta-cabin or tent has to be purchased or rented (tent probably not viable as would have to be erected/taken down every game adding to costs - too tempting for the local vandals with a Stanley knife handy). Porta-cabin rental for a vandal proof 32'x9' canteen is approx £60 per week including VAT, for 40 weeks that's £2400.
    Electricity for cooling/heating, lighting, let's say £5 per week, that's another £200.
    Wages for staff, let's say three for 3 hours each on each match day, let's say we get a couple of cup ties worth opening for plus League that's 25 matches, pay minimum wage which varies on age, from 1st April £5.60 for 18-20's, £7.05 for 21-24's, £7.50 for over 25's, we'll average that out at 1 employee per wage band, average is the £6.72. So, we've now got staff costs of 25 matches x 9 hours x £6.72 = £1512
    We're now up to a total of £4212, with a minimum licence fee.

    Now you've got to look at the logistics of supplying the utilities to the installation, water and electricity will need to be provided plus base to stand porta-cabin on. Let's say £1000, no real idea but it seems a reasonable figure, so we're now up to £5200 ish.

    Now you've got to look at stock, a bottle of 330ml Budweiser is currently wholesaling at £0.82p per bottle, Adnams' Ghost Ship wholesales at £1.50, let's say 5000 bottle of each (5000 x £0.82) + (5000 x £1.50) = £11,600.

    So we now have a start up cost, for a 32' x 9' porta-cabin, staffed by 3 people for 25 matches per season selling 10000 bottles of beer coming in at £16800.
    So if we manage to sell 10000 units at say £3.00 a pop then the profit could be around £13000, so just enough to pay for one or maybe two players for a week.....

    I'm sure I've missed some costs out somewhere but I think that's a reasonable guesstimate.
    Last edited by Cockle43; 20-02-2017 at 10:02 PM.
    First game under the Friday night lights at the Hall, 25/3/66 England Amateurs 3, Scotland Amateurs 3.

    First ride on the Shrimpers rollercoaster, Friday, 8/4/66, Shrimpers 5, Gills 2 Eddie Firmani hat trick

  14. #14
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    (Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W, again.
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleaford Shrimper View Post
    Thank you for publishing these minutes. On the issue of standing supporters blocking the view of disabled fans, it is not just registered disabled supporters who suffer the problem. I wouldn't qualify for disability registration but I am unable to stand still for long periods or to get up and down from my seat too easily these days, so I sit close to the corners of the stands where there are rarely any of the standing supporters to get in my way on the somewhat rare occasions when I attend matches. I fully understand a lot of fans' preference for standing to watch the match (as I always did when I was a young man) and feel that clubs should pursue the idea of providing safe standing areas at all grounds.
    Safe standing is certainly in our minds going forward towards the new stadium, , however as things stand, sorry about the pun, there is no way that safe standing can be incorporated as the current Football League ground regulations and the laws governing Football League grounds do not allow for safe standing areas. There is much work being done by the Football Supporters Federation on this and pressure is being applied on MP's and Government to try and get this changed, let's just hope it is before FF comes on stream, I think the chances are quite good of me being able to ice-skate across Hell to the opening of the new stadium so we may be OK.
    First game under the Friday night lights at the Hall, 25/3/66 England Amateurs 3, Scotland Amateurs 3.

    First ride on the Shrimpers rollercoaster, Friday, 8/4/66, Shrimpers 5, Gills 2 Eddie Firmani hat trick

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockle43 View Post
    Safe standing is certainly in our minds going forward towards the new stadium, , however as things stand, sorry about the pun, there is no way that safe standing can be incorporated as the current Football League ground regulations and the laws governing Football League grounds do not allow for safe standing areas. There is much work being done by the Football Supporters Federation on this and pressure is being applied on MP's and Government to try and get this changed, let's just hope it is before FF comes on stream, I think the chances are quite good of me being able to ice-skate across Hell to the opening of the new stadium so we may be OK.
    Anybody wishing to stand now won't be able when the stadium is built! Need somewhere to park their hoverboards

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

ShrimperZone.Com Official Sponsors