• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Microsoft Office v the free stuff

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
My 2003 version of Office has finally reached the point where I can't install it on my Windows 10 laptop as it's been installed on far too many other laptops over the years. So.......what to do, buy a recent edition of Office or have a look at free packages. I've chosen the latter option and have been trying out Open Office and Libre Office. Both are good but Libre is probably the best of the two and is now my package of choice. If you're thinking of using either, then give both a try and see what you think.

We trialled open office here a few years ago, then I was given a workbook with all the data protected (in fact the sheet with the data was not even visible in XL, just the form which accessed individual lines based on a look up). I opened it in Open Office , got a message saying this is a protected workbook and did I want to ignore the protection , hit ignore and got access to all the data. IT deleted OA from all PC's and stopped the trial.
I would hope that that issue has now been dealt with in later releases

Back