• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Every successful team needs a strong spine and in Ferdinand/Thompson, Leonard/Timlin (or Atkinson) & Cox/MAF we have that. When you throw in names likes Wordsworth, McLaughlin etc plus the strength in depth on the bench with players of Ranger/Robinson's quality it's no wonder we're fighting for promotion. You have to give huge credit to PB and RM, with just 2 defeats in 21 games it's no wonder the usual negative posters have been conspicuous by their absence on here recently. :thumbsup:

Yes indeed and I 'd add 2 more quite possibles to this list:
Demetriou can be excellent going forwards....so played as a WING-BACK...
Smith should continue to improve,he's better than Bentley was at this stage.

So tough to compare.
For example my top 11 players in my time.
.................Sammy.......
Austin prior Barrett Powell
Ansah Butler Marsh otto
Collymore Eastwood
Other than anton i don't think we have a player that can force his way into that team. But as an overall squad there is a good case for the current mob.

So tough to compare.
Ansah Butler Marsh otto
Collymore Eastwood
Other than anton i don't think we have a player that can force his way into that team. But as an overall squad there is a good case for the current mob.

That is a very good line up and hard to argue against; and as you post, again I agree.,maybe Anton could get in there instead of Adam.
Cox, Leonard, might make the subs bench.

Barry Frys side in the 90s was much better in quality.

Angel otto sansome prior royce powell Tilson Keith jones to name a few. Fwiw I think we are possibly 3 or 4 signings short of a squad capable of fighting a relegation battle in the championship. The step up is huge.

I also think that PB has a better grasp of football at that level than tilly did. I would feel more comfortable at having a right crack at sustaining championship footy under Brown.

Those 90s sides were legendary and definitely had some great players but I think the quality in the second tier now is way above what it was at that time and that some of those performances against teams at that level then should be taken into that context. It's as easy to list first team regulars in Championship Southend squads that wouldn't get in this side or even squad,

So tough to compare.
Ansah Butler Marsh otto
Collymore Eastwood

Most of that 11 is the team(s) I remember, oh happy days to see Chris Powell scampering forward whilst Peter Butler just badgered the hell out of everyone with his general busyness in the centre of the park, and on the rare occasion the goal was threatend Sammy was there with his safe hands!

Back