• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This does depend clearly how long you have been watching Southend. For 1987 to 2017 I would go for:

Sansome
Francis, Prior, Barrett, Powell
Gower, Butler, Leonard, Otto
Collymore, Eastwood

Subs: Bentley, Austin, Paul Clark, Keith Jones, Ansah, Angell, Crown

Squad: Royce, Edwards, Marsh, Maher, Tilson

You would win the Championship with that Squad....

My favourites from my 45 years of watching:

GK - Mervyn Cawston
RB - Simon Francis
CB - Alan Moody
CB - Efe Sodje
LB - Steve Yates
RM - Terry Nicholl
CM - Alan McCormack
CM - Ryan Leonard
LM - Mark Gower
S - Freddy Eastwood
S - Peter Silvester

I never saw Collymore play so while he might be "the best", I can't include him as a "favourite". Likewise, none of the players really from that era.
Subs - Darryl Flahavan; Charlie Mulgrew; Anthony Grant; Paul Clark; Stuart Parker; Peter Taylor; Francis Laurent

if we're talking people I've met or talked to and liked:

Sammy
Stuart
Wilson
Prior
Jupp
Maher
O'shea
Butler
Corbett
Crown
Thomson

Other players I've liked on a personal basis: Carruthers/Donut/Edwards/Warren/Spence/Banks/Benjamin

Difficult this. I've liked so many players and for different reasons. E.g. Like Barrett for his passion but he did not make my squad.

Royce

Francis prior Devite powell

Gower Marsh R. Whelan otto

Collymore Eastwood

Subs

Cort A.Edwards Angel Roget W. Gray Cort Mulgrew

manager. Fry

Difficult this. I've liked so many players and for different reasons. E.g. Like Barrett for his passion but he did not make my squad.

Royce

Francis prior Devite powell

Gower Marsh R. Whelan otto

Collymore Eastwood

Subs

Cort A.Edwards Angel Roget W. Gray Cort Mulgrew

manager. Fry

That's interesting, two loanees in there.
Burridge was probably my favourite loanee, along with Assombalonga and Hunter, Guy Butters would get a mention too

if we're talking people I've met or talked to and liked:

Sammy
Stuart
Wilson
Prior
Jupp
Maher
O'shea
Butler
Corbett
Crown
Thomson

Other players I've liked on a personal basis: Carruthers/Donut/Edwards/Warren/Spence/Banks/Benjamin
I don't think it was, I've certainly never met Alan Moody. I think most people have just gone for players that they just like, even if they weren't the best necessarily. In some case, of course, the two combine beautifully.

Sansome
Francis
Spinner
Barrett
Powell
Gower
Maher
Butler
Ansah
Angell
Eastwood

Subs: Flavs, Scully, BBBC, Stan The Man, Tilson

That's interesting, two loanees in there.
Burridge was probably my favourite loanee, along with Assombalonga and Hunter, Guy Butters would get a mention too
If I had to replace the loanee's then it would be with Efe Sodje and Tommy Mooney

Favourites must include those that i looked up to as a young player. But i'll have to include some that literally got me up out of my seat. So....

Paul Sansome
Alan Moody
Spencer Prior
Justin Edinburgh
Chris Powell
Kevin Maher
Ron Pountney
Bilel Moshni
Rikki Otto
Stan Collymore
Freddy Eastwood

Christ, thats some team ..
Maher over Marsh??????? What.... Kev not in the same League.... as we are talking best ever x1....not servant... Mike way ahead.

1, Trevor Roberts 2, Dean Austin 3, Chris Powell 4,Dave Elliot 5 , Brian Albeson 6, Alan Moody 7 , Terry Johnson 8, Billy Best 9 , Stan Collymore , 10 Freddy Eastwood 11, Peter Taylor , 5 subs Paul Sansome Micky Stead , Anton Otulakowski , Gaqry Moore , David Crown .

Back