• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Point of order : Isn't this thread about one-off moments or performances?

Add in Drewe Broughton for his goal v Col Ewe that got us to our first ever national final

As a player he was a bit, well. League Two. But he had his moment in the sun in terms of our history.

Take him out again for stupidly getting sent off in the second leg for kicking the ball away and risking us losing by being down to 10 men.

you'll be pleased to know he's a neighbour of my old boss and he mentions this goal a lot.

* It's a bright spring afternoon and Napster's Boss is busy mowing the front lawn, when his neighbour's front door opens *

Andy Polycarpou : Afternoon, mate
Napster's Boss : * Resigned sigh * Afternoon, Andy
AP : Nice day for it
NB : Yep, where are you off to?
AP : Watford
NB : Watford?
AP : Yep, got some shopping to do
NB : Why Watford. That's miles away?
AP : Well, it brings back happy memories for me.

NB thinks : G_d, here he goes again!

AP : Yep, scored a goal against them once
NB : * sighs * Really?
AP : Yep, it was an FA Cup Replay. You see, if we won, we'd play Liverpool in the 3rd Round.
NB : You don't say!
AP : Yep, frosty night it was. Big crowd. You should have been there.
NB : I feel like I was!
AP : Only goal of the game, it was
NB : You never said?
AP : Didn't I?
NB : Er, yes, only every month for the last 35 years!
AP : It was me proudest moment. In fact, come to think of it, it's me only moment, in truth!
NB : I guess you better get going. Driving to Watford and all that?
AP : Oh yeah. You're right. You must pop round for the evening. I'll show you the newspaper cuttings.
NB : How riveting!
AP : See you, then.
NB : Yeah, not if I see you first!

* Mrs Napster's Boss opens the front door *

Mrs Napster's Boss : Was he banging on about that goal again?
NB : What do you think?
Mrs NB : He's a nightmare. There's only one thing for it.
NB : Yep, you're right!

* Mrs NB returns indoors and picks up the phone *

Mrs NB : Hello, is that Bairstow Eves?

Last edited:
I think Andy Polycarpou scored in my first ever Blues match 1-1 vs Harlow Town in the Cup.
You'd expect most people to remember their 1st ever game.
In the 2 Harlow games Derrick Parker scored the only goal.

Take him out again for stupidly getting sent off in the second leg for kicking the ball away and risking us losing by being down to 10 men.
He actually kicked the ball about 1 second after the ref blew for offside, I think it was on Youtube for a while not sure if its still on there. Very harsh 2nd yellow card.
You see much worse not even get a word from the ref week in week out.

You'd expect most people to remember their 1st ever game.
In the 2 Harlow games Derrick Parker scored the only goal.

First game is always an odd one.

My first match was at home to Bradford City. A 2-1 win in 1968.

No idea who scored for us or, indeed, the order of the goals, the size of the crowd or anything much.

Stood on the South Bank, though. I remember that.

No idea who scored for us or, indeed, the order of the goals, the size of the crowd or anything much.

2-0 according to SUFC Database goals from Chisnall & Clayton the crowd 11,111

Unless your first game was actually in 1967 as we beat Bradford Park Avenue 2-1 on Monday 2nd October an excellent 11,727 crowd

November 22 1968 was 2-0 with a crowd of 11,111, oddly enough. Clayton and Chisnall scored. I was in the west stand, before the benches were made into seats.

RobM ; November 22 1968 was 2-0 with a crowd of 11,111, oddly enough. Clayton and Chisnall scored. I was in the west stand, before the benches were made into seats.
2-0 according to SUFC Database goals from Chisnall & Clayton the crowd 11,111

Unless your first game was actually in 1967 as we beat Bradford Park Avenue 2-1 on Monday 2nd October an excellent 11,727 crowd

Many thanks. That must be the one then, as I remember it was definitely Bradford City. I had the programme for years. Large one in dark blue with a black silhouette of a player on the front cover. I'll see if I can find it online.

I always thought it was 2-1, but yep, you're right. 2-0. Kind of proves my point about not remembering too much about my first game.

Much obliged 'UTS' and 'Rob'. :thumbsup:

Edit : The Programme :-

s-l225.jpg

First leg actually.......and he was extremely unlucky.

November 22 1968 was 2-0 with a crowd of 11,111, oddly enough. Clayton and Chisnall scored. I was in the west stand, before the benches were made into seats.

That should have read "EAST stand". :blush:

In the History 11.

There are obvious entries. Benji - for that goal. The pig - for that goal. Daniel B - for that save.

A few less lauded:

Dave Worthington - Derby County cup tie 76. Despite being suspended and missing out on a huge game, Dave came onto the pitch beforehand wearing a fedora hat (mimicking Malcolm Allison at the time) and saluted our 5,000 strong support.

Billy Best (so many options) 5 goals versus Brentwood? Winner versus Villa? But I will go for the goal that seems to be forgotten. The goal at Scunthorpe United in 72 to finally achieve the first ever promotion in the Football League.

Battling Daniel for number 1 shirt? Neil Freeman. Apparently arrested for peeing in public after a hugely important win at Torquay to virtually seal promotion in 1978.

Back