• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wordsworth's drop in form is a wee bit concerning for me. His contract is expiring at the end of the season, I've not seen or heard any mention of negotiations... I worry his head may have been turned.

Observations.

The defending for both goals was s**t and neither were Ted's fault.

Rovers could have scored rather more than two.

The substitution of Fortune was mystifying and wrong.

Atkinson has learnt nothing from Millwall and if Marriner had been refereeing he would have been off again so in that context his substitution was sensible.

Yesterday is not the problem

Man management remains the problem. They all tried but the defending was absolutely woeful.

Rovers all defended like Adam Barrett.

Demitriou showed why he should be playing in midfield against stronger teams. He cannot defend against decent attackers and had a nightmare defensively.

We attacked well for the last 55 minutes but without guile or luck.

Ranger missed an open goal even easier than the one at Bradford.

The first 12 games of nonsensical, defensive one up front football are the problem.

If we can keep the same squad and manager (wiser) next season we should continue to improve,

Apart from the woeful defending I actually enjoyed the game.

The elephant is still in the room.

From what I saw on the BP highlights,Ted looked like he was slow to get down for their second.

5 points from the last 5 games is not play-off form Worse than that we had our first shot on target at Gillingham in the 47th minute, we didn't make the Port Vale keeper make one save all match and despite a shed load of corners on Saturday we didn't force much out of their keeper.
I cannot get excited when we have one of Lenny's long throws or we win a corner as we rarely score from then (statos may prove me wrong on corners but have we ever scored from a long throw?).
Simple truth is we are not creating any chances so despite having a forward line that should be scoring for fun we struggle to gain points against what in truth are some very poor sides.

Quite simply we need to win most (if not all) of our remaining games and hope those above us slip up. I bet we get turned over by Coventry tomorrow and that'll be it, and I think Mr B may be looking for another job before the end of the month.

5 points from the last 5 games is not play-off form Worse than that we had our first shot on target at Gillingham in the 47th minute, we didn't make the Port Vale keeper make one save all match and despite a shed load of corners on Saturday we didn't force much out of their keeper.
I cannot get excited when we have one of Lenny's long throws or we win a corner as we rarely score from then (statos may prove me wrong on corners but have we ever scored from a long throw?).
Simple truth is we are not creating any chances so despite having a forward line that should be scoring for fun we struggle to gain points against what in truth are some very poor sides.

A few throws this season, Gillingham at home, Wimbledon and the 4th at Peterborough when we had hardly anyone in the box. It allowed Ranger to turn and line up Timlin, which can never happen with our normal crowded 'bus queue' that Lenny aims for without much conviction.

Any scout watching us for one game will easily realise that the Wordsworth double handed signal on corners means the ball will float high and deep to Lenny. That sort of corner is the easiest to defend when you know exactly where its going and who too. Time to mix it up a bit.

Scunthorpe love to whip their set pieces very flat with pace and attack the space at the near post. Very difficult for defenders and the keeper because it only has to skim off the head of the attacker and it creeps in the far post. I sure someone can tell me but when was the last goal we scored like that.

Observations.

The defending for both goals was s**t and neither were Ted's fault.

Whilst neither was actually Ted's fault, I've seen shots like those saved on a regular basis.

Anyone else think Wordsworth is burnt out? Let's face it he hasn't played a full season for a long time. Could do with resting him tomorrow night.

He's not played a full season, he missed the first month or so following his operation.

This post almost completely matches with my take on the game.
The defending in the 1st half hour was criminally poor.
I was sat close to the pitch and I got the impression that Anton didn't look totally fit.
He seemed much better in the second half but the 1st 30 mins was awful, painful and depressing.
I quite like the look of Ted - he wasn't definitely culpable for both goals and he made a couple of really good saves that kept us in the game. My issue is that (unlike Dan at a similar stage in his development) Ted is as quiet as a church mouse and looks almost worried that he's playing 1st team football. He really needs to develop a more powerful persona even if its all put on. I think the season is over for us ref going up -please please prove me wrong !!

Yes,watching from the terrace,the shot for their 2nd travelled fairly slowly.

Thirded, or probably fourthed and a few more. Had he not been a local and learning his craft, Smith would have got a blistering.
Hate to compare, and yes, he was rather good: but Bentley would have turned that around the post.

Brizzie was a home game for us Cornish exiled Shrimpers on Saturday. First half was an embarrassment , 2nd half we controlled but looked very predictable . Thought Nile missed a sitter but he did show some good touches, Brizzie reverted to a back 5 for the last 15/20 mins which made things all the harder. Was going to post after match but was so uptight after this performance so ive allowed my temper to calm for a few days. My highlight of the day was a Mc Don on way home, that just about summed up my day !:'(

There were times in the past when I used to think that the Directors/owners didn't really want promotion, as they were too scared of the wage bills !! Now you're suggesting the players might not want it !! Gawd 'elp us !

Back