Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New editor of Evening Standard: George Osborne

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

Boy George is going to have to resign from at least one of his three jobs.

It'll be interesting to see which he drops first.
    "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him."

George Benard Shaw.Pygmalion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangled up in Blue View Post
    Boy George is going to have to resign from at least one of his three jobs.

It'll be interesting to see which he drops first.
    I have been messaging numerous MPs asking them to ensure he is forced to leave one in particular

Quote Originally Posted by Another Surrey Shrimper View Post
    I have been messaging numerous MPs asking them to ensure he is forced to leave one in particular
    I was rather hoping that Tatton would be first on the list.
    "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him."

Osborne cracking jokes about it in Parliament and offering up no acknowledgement of why this is an issue. I'm not sure if he really is that stupid and he genuinely doesn't understand the need for a separation of Parliament and the media or if he just doesn't give a ****. The fact no Tory MP spoke out against this appointment in the debate just shows a contempt for democracy and for his constituents.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/m.huffp...71dcf6684f/amp

Osborne cracking jokes about it in Parliament and offering up no acknowledgement of why this is an issue. I'm not sure if he really is that stupid and he genuinely doesn't understand the need for a separation of Parliament and the media or if he just doesn't give a ****. The fact no Tory MP spoke out against this appointment in the debate just shows a contempt for democracy and for his constituents.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/m.huffp...71dcf6684f/amp
    I think you (and maybe Barna) are the only people who care about this. Why don't you arrange a protest march?
    Remembering the scandal of "Stickersgate"

Quote Originally Posted by superblue24 View Post
    I think you (and maybe Barna) are the only people who care about this. Why don't you arrange a protest march?
    I can see why you would suggest that but I don't think this is a protest march situation really, but I have written to numerous MP's as I think this has to be dealt with by Parliament.
    I would find it extremely alarming if anyone felt it was acceptable for a member of the governing party to dictate what is written and what is ignored in London's biggest newspaper. Anyone who has any understanding of history will be appalled by this and those that aren't - you get what you deserve.

I can see why you would suggest that but I don't think this is a protest march situation really, but I have written to numerous MP's as I think this has to be dealt with by Parliament.
    I would find it extremely alarming if anyone felt it was acceptable for a member of the governing party to dictate what is written and what is ignored in London's biggest newspaper. Anyone who has any understanding of history will be appalled by this and those that aren't - you get what you deserve.
    Anybody who understands life knows that any young Tory boys, especially members of the Bullingdon club will live a life of privilege. Their reward for not rocking the boat and making sure the rich carry on getting even richer at our expense are these sort of jobs.......Just ask Tony Blair and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
    Anybody who understands life knows that any young Tory boys, especially members of the Bullingdon club will live a life of privilege. Their reward for not rocking the boat and making sure the rich carry on getting even richer at our expense are these sort of jobs.......Just ask Tony Blair and his family.
    this goes beyond the secret hand shakes and old school tie network for me and goes beyond vast sums of money being paid for very little work. A member of the governing party dictating what news features in the free press and what news is buried is something we expect to find in a dictatorship.

this goes beyond the secret hand shakes and old school tie network for me and goes beyond vast sums of money being paid for very little work. A member of the governing party dictating what news features in the free press and what news is buried is something we expect to find in a dictatorship.
    I think I heard on Andrew Marr that GO has simply taken the job so he can exact revenge on May's Tory Government and publish all manner of anti-Tory stories, so maybe it's a positive.
    So remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and hold on to that childlike wonder about what makes the universe exist - Stephen Hawking.

When has their ever been a free press? Most public sector workers can be sacked for speaking to the press without going through the strict propaganda departments of their service.

On the journey to spiritual enlightenment (via the shops)

You cannot deny that the Conservative government has created jobs. It is just that they are all for George Osborne.
    Twitter: @RobertFox278 SIMPLICITER SE NUNQUAM DIMISIT

Quote Originally Posted by C C Csiders View Post
    You cannot deny that the Conservative government has created jobs. It is just that they are all for George Osborne.
    That's 6 jobs George I believe.

You are an intelligent person but if you are not sure what my objection is then I probably don't have the necessity vocabulary at my disposal to explain it to you. I am surprised that my reasons are not self-evident. Plenty of other people will understand as it is a very simple concept.

I will put you down as not outraged by this appointment, and its clear that I am outraged by this appointment. And the discussion between us can have a nice clear end. If anyone else has an opinion on this I'm sure they will chip in.
    I'm willing to be persuaded but so far you've just said it is wrong without saying why it is wrong.

I know you're a Corbynite but you need to engage with a wider audience and win them round. My vote is up for grabs - I'm not voting Tory or UKIP next time - so give it ago at explaining why it's wrong for someone who is a member of Parliament, but not part of the executive, to be an editor.

I'm also interested in where you think the line needs to be drawn. Several MPs are also journalists and columnists. Should this be allowed?

Others are regularly paid to appear on TV. Should they be allowed to appear on TV and if so, should they be paid for their time?
    "probablyDefinitely THE most clueless idiot on here" - according to wiggy

Currently mourning the departure of Franck Moussa.

Appreciating Zaaboub before it becomes fashionable

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Blue View Post
    I'm willing to be persuaded but so far you've just said it is wrong without saying why it is wrong.

I know you're a Corbynite but you need to engage with a wider audience and win them round. My vote is up for grabs - I'm not voting Tory or UKIP next time - so give it ago at explaining why it's wrong for someone who is a member of Parliament, but not part of the executive, to be an editor.

I'm also interested in where you think the line needs to be drawn. Several MPs are also journalists and columnists. Should this be allowed?

Others are regularly paid to appear on TV. Should they be allowed to appear on TV and if so, should they be paid for their time?
    I'm not a Corbynite. I canvassed for the Labour Party on / off since 1988. If am an any kind of 'ite' I am a Labourite.

I refuse to believe that you don't understand why a current MP of the party in government deciding what news does or doesn't get reported is a bad thing and goes against the very notion of democracy.

I think you would have some weird kick out of dumbing down an argument to that extent, I don't get what the appeal of that is but its not something I'm interested in going along with.

I'm not a Corbynite. I canvassed for the Labour Party on / off since 1988. If am an any kind of 'ite' I am a Labourite.

I refuse to believe that you don't understand why a current MP of the party in government deciding what news does or doesn't get reported is a bad thing and goes against the very notion of democracy.

I think you would have some weird kick out of dumbing down an argument to that extent, I don't get what the appeal of that is but its not something I'm interested in going along with.
    I'm not dumbing down the argument. I'm doing the opposite and trying to explore the idea further.

But you're not interested in justifying your position.
    "probablyDefinitely THE most clueless idiot on here" - according to wiggy

Currently mourning the departure of Franck Moussa.

Appreciating Zaaboub before it becomes fashionable