Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New editor of Evening Standard: George Osborne

Default New editor of Evening Standard: George Osborne

This for me is unbelievable and unacceptable. A prominent member of the government editing a widely circulated free newspaper - and staying on as an MP. Is this not the kind of thing we criticize Putin for?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39304944

Quote Originally Posted by Another Surrey Shrimper View Post
    This for me is unbelievable and unacceptable. A prominent member of the government editing a widely circulated free newspaper - and staying on as an MP. Is this not the kind of thing we criticize Putin for?

Who was you expecting.....Diane Abbott.

Quote Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
    Who was you expecting.....Diane Abbott.
    nope, I was expecting it to be someone who isn't an MP

He's not a prominent member of the government.

If anything, given Corbyn's ineptitude creating a vacancy, he's a prominent member of the opposition.
    "probablyDefinitely THE most clueless idiot on here" - according to wiggy

Currently mourning the departure of Franck Moussa.

Appreciating Zaaboub before it becomes fashionable

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Blue View Post

If anything, given Corbyn's ineptitude creating a vacancy, he's a prominent member of the opposition.
    you are happy with members of the government simultaneously being editors of newspapers?

you are happy with members of the government simultaneously being editors of newspapers?
    He is not a member of the government.

He is not a member of the government.
    people have strange priorities sometimes, for example when it is announced that a sitting MP is to take up a 6th job - this one being as editor of a newspaper - rather than get angry some people will prioritise an opportunity to be pedantic.

He is not currently in the cabinet, he is currently an MP for the Conservatives who are in government.

Your reaction to this is telling. Thanks for your input.

people have strange priorities sometimes, for example when it is announced that a sitting MP is to take up a 6th job - this one being as editor of a newspaper - rather than get angry some people will prioritise an opportunity to be pedantic.

He is not currently in the cabinet, he is currently an MP for the Conservatives who are in government.

Your reaction to this is telling. Thanks for your input.
    There's a fundamental difference in being part of the executive as compared to being part of the legislature.

If you don't understand that then that's your issue.

There's a fundamental difference in being part of the executive as compared to being part of the legislature.

If you don't understand that then that's your issue.
    if an MP being editor of a newspaper is not something that troubles you then that is my issue because I have much higher expectations of members of the public and I am going to have trouble moving my expectations that low

if an MP being editor of a newspaper is not something that troubles you then that is my issue because I have much higher expectations of members of the public and I am going to have trouble moving my expectations that low
    I find it an eccentric choice for the Standard but I'm not sure what precisely your objection is, apart from him being a Tory and therefore automatically evil in your view.

Surely you are not labouring under the misapprehension that the British press has a duty to be neutral? The BBC needs to be neutral - although that didn't stop them appointing then sitting MP and former Cabinet Minister James Purnell. The British press though is deeply partisan and an MP being an editor is not anything new. The subject of my dissertation was simultaneously a (Labour) MP and an editor. It did not create any conflicts of interest then and I'm not sure why it should now. Compare this to Osborne's role at Blackrock which would seem to me to be incompatible with being an editor - Piers Moron's City Slickers scandal seems to have been forgotten.

I'm not sure how he's going to juggle the time demands of being an editor and a MP but he's hardly unique in the Commons in having more than one job. This applies to both sides of the House and is indeed a feature of our constitutional arrangements through the fused legislature. I suspect the constituents of Tatton are going to be short-changed but no more than before Lebedev appointed him or no more than the constituents of Sedgefield were whilst Brown was PM and Blair was sulking.

Certified Senior Citizen Tangled up in Blue's Avatar

I think Mrs May created the vacancy.
    "June marks the end of May."

Dawn Butler.MP.

You don't mind murdering 2m Iraqis in the name of 'Regime change'. So no you won't have trouble moving your expectations.

I find it an eccentric choice for the Standard but I'm not sure what precisely your objection is, apart from him being a Tory and therefore automatically evil in your view.

Surely you are not labouring under the misapprehension that the British press has a duty to be neutral? The BBC needs to be neutral - although that didn't stop them appointing then sitting MP and former Cabinet Minister James Purnell. The British press though is deeply partisan and an MP being an editor is not anything new. The subject of my dissertation was simultaneously a (Labour) MP and an editor. It did not create any conflicts of interest then and I'm not sure why it should now. Compare this to Osborne's role at Blackrock which would seem to me to be incompatible with being an editor - Piers Moron's City Slickers scandal seems to have been forgotten.

I'm not sure how he's going to juggle the time demands of being an editor and a MP but he's hardly unique in the Commons in having more than one job. This applies to both sides of the House and is indeed a feature of our constitutional arrangements through the fused legislature. I suspect the constituents of Tatton are going to be short-changed but no more than before Lebedev appointed him or no more than the constituents of Sedgefield were whilst Brown was PM and Blair was sulking.
    You are an intelligent person but if you are not sure what my objection is then I probably don't have the necessity vocabulary at my disposal to explain it to you. I am surprised that my reasons are not self-evident. Plenty of other people will understand as it is a very simple concept.

I will put you down as not outraged by this appointment, and its clear that I am outraged by this appointment. And the discussion between us can have a nice clear end. If anyone else has an opinion on this I'm sure they will chip in.

Quote Originally Posted by rigsby View Post
    You don't mind murdering 2m Iraqis in the name of 'Regime change'. So no you won't have trouble moving your expectations.
    'the war in Iraq happened, nothing after that has any significance' apparently

Mods - could you change the titles of all threads to 'Iraq onward' and then amalgamate them into a never ending thread about things that have happened since Iraq but are not really worth mentioning - that would be grand, thanks.

In tonight's Evening Standard there is an article announcing that the Conservative MP George Osborne is to be the new editor of the Evening Standard.

There is also an article of around twice the size reporting that Jeremy Corbyn was criticised for not attending the vote to approve the £370 million Buckingham Palace renovations.