Likes Likes:  209
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Southend United 3-2 Walsall

Quote Originally Posted by fbm View Post
    No need for the "cupping the hand to the ear" gesture though, no-one was giving you abuse.
    Aimed at his own supporters I believe. He's been getting pelters from them all season.

Buy All At Sea online

@allatseafanzine

All At Sea, as seen in the Sun, the Southend Echo, the Guardian and FourFourTwo magazine.
    Contribute: allatseafanzine@hotmail.com

Just to clarify on the second goal for Walsall, as i sit very near to the dugout. As Smith was preparing himself to distribute the ball, Phil Brown clearly barked out loudly "John White" to Ted as he was taking the kick.

Despite the traffic on the M20 and the jam around the tunnel, made it in time for kick off - and a very nice box it was too. Although I had some trouble identifying one of the player's photo on the wall (N'Diaye) and Harry Crawford isn't exactly a great player to have up on the wall either.

The game, I never thought we'd lose- they had two shots and scored them both. We had the chances - and I thought if the crosses were drilled to Nile rather than floated we could have scored ourselves. Their keeper was great by the way.

i thought Phil would leave it a few minutes before making any changes and they were the right ones - Demi is much better at attacking and so it proved. That last 30 minutes was immense.

I do feel sorry for Fortune though - can he get back in the side before the end of the season - such a variety of options available now!

As we watched the stand empty below us I saw a few familiar faces - and one of them (thanks Andy), pointed out Jack Payne in the box next to mine - so I went over and said hello - nice chap if a bit dull. Then I went to the exit and like a fanboy had my photo taken with most of the team all of which were friendly (naturally Nile was the one everyone wanted autographs from).

Marks - unnecessary in my view. All played a part. But big up to Ranger and Anton.
    Who's this Rorschach guy and why is he so good at drawing pictures of my Dad beating me?

I also remember coming back from 0-2 down to win 4-2 against Stockport County in season 71-72!

This may have already been mentioned but we were 2-0 down at HT against Hartlepool in December 2009 and came back to win 3-2.

I appreciate that most of us have blanked that season from memory though.

EDIT: Seen Shrimper has beat me to this one, apologies.

Buy All At Sea online

@allatseafanzine

All At Sea, as seen in the Sun, the Southend Echo, the Guardian and FourFourTwo magazine.
    Contribute: allatseafanzine@hotmail.com

Thought Inniss was poor (so much so he was being mocked by the away fans)
    Wordsworth would have seen red for his two early crunching tackles if the game had been at the Den/Priestfield.
    Demi was excellent when he came on.

I wish we could bottle up that last 30 minutes and play like it for the rest of the season. Almost unplayable and could have scored more. It might be oversimplifying things and Brown probably won't do it, but we should go to Wimbledon and start with the team that finished this game. No point being cautious now, it's time to go for it.

What a game.....that first half, it was dreadful, the displeasure from the crowd at half time was noted.

Out of the blocks in the second not a lot better, the big change for me was Jason, right away we was a different team, a right back that wants to bomb forward, the team looked like our old team (the way we were playing) before the McLaughlin injury, we missed him so much, in my view he was the most consistent player before the ankle.

Amos looked ok, very calm and lots of pointing, talking like an older player, the team was playing poor when he was on the pitch, so I don't think we can judge him, I recon he could be good.

What a turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK View Post
    What game was you watching? The midfield was over crowded as we played the awful one up front, but I thought he was really good. He won the ball back numerous times and gave the ball away once. Of course he tired, as he never stopped running.
    Agree, see what I said about Amos in my post above.

My views on the game are similar to that of fbm and Andy T. I didn't know about Walsall's godawful away form until after the game but it makes sense because - for all their neatness in possession - they are one of the most lightweight teams I've seen at the Hall for a long time.

Like some others I wasn't in the slightest bit worried when we went 2-0 down because it was obvious that we would batter them once we brought on a striker to play alongside Ranger, who had previously been winning plenty in the air and causing problems but with no support.

I simply couldn't understand the tactics. Ranger up front on his own was like Barry Corr syndrome; a total waste of his talents, especially considering how many strikers we have in the squad now. Cox may still have been feeling the effects of his illness so I could see why he was on the bench but dropping Robinson was absurd. McLaughlin appeared to be the second striker as I barely saw him out wide, where he is most effective, with Wordsworth tucking in somewhere just behind; it looked to me like a Christmas tree system.

The one blessing may be that our comeback will convince Brown once and for all to play to our bloody strengths and not overly worry about the opposition, especially as we were at home.
    Still the 'zone's best poster, according to a reliable source.

Life President

^
    Yep, spot on, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTY_SUFC View Post
    The issue was when he was using the tax man as a cheap loan facility. Not being able to borrow money is due to Rons own credibility. Banks are lending and have been openly for a long time since.

Not to Football Clubs they aren't!They are only lending to viable propositions, where there is pretty much 100% tangible security.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    My views on the game are similar to that of fbm and Andy T. I didn't know about Walsall's godawful away form until after the game but it makes sense because - for all their neatness in possession - they are one of the most lightweight teams I've seen at the Hall for a long time.

Like some others I wasn't in the slightest bit worried when we went 2-0 down because it was obvious that we would batter them once we brought on a striker to play alongside Ranger, who had previously been winning plenty in the air and causing problems but with no support.

I simply couldn't understand the tactics. Ranger up front on his own was like Barry Corr syndrome; a total waste of his talents, especially considering how many strikers we have in the squad now. Cox may still have been feeling the effects of his illness so I could see why he was on the bench but dropping Robinson was absurd. McLaughlin appeared to be the second striker as I barely saw him out wide, where he is most effective, with Wordsworth tucking in somewhere just behind; it looked to me like a Christmas tree system.

The one blessing may be that our comeback will convince Brown once and for all to play to our bloody strengths and not overly worry about the opposition, especially as we were at home.
    I'm a supporter of Brown but can see lots of his failings. He is a bit too negative in his thinking. He also makes weird statements. He was saying after the game that it was 2 up front as Wordsworth was the other forward alongside Ranger. That clearly is not accurate. Wordsworth was in an overcrowded midfield. Ranger kept trying to head the ball back to the midfielders. Only when Robinson came on was he able to flick it on towards the goal. It was a one up front, and as usual it didn't suit our players and it did not work.

[QUOTE=Kris;1948026]My views on the game are similar to that of fbm and Andy T. I didn't know about Walsall's godawful away form until after the game but it makes sense because - for all their neatness in possession - they are one of the most lightweight teams I've seen at the Hall for a long time.

The one blessing may be that our comeback will convince Brown once and for all to play to our bloody strengths and not overly worry about the opposition, especially as we were at home.[/QUOTE]

Nice thought , but in the real world I doubt it. What evidence have we seen to date to indicate he thinks like that. I prefer the Brian Clough approach ' I don't worry about the opposition, I let them worry about us' Thats what you call positive-Can you imagine what that must do for a teams confidence

Director

did Brown really get it wrong, would you all be saying that if the two misses from Ranger and the save the goalkeeper made from the Wordsworth shot had gone , and we ended up scoring 6 goals ,would you still believe he got it wrong, i very much doubt it.