• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would, personally.

We have six strikers, the majority of which have played important parts in the success of the side in a 4-4-2 formation and so he picks the one guy who needs to play upfront with another striker, because he wins headers and creates chances, so he decides to play him upfront on his own!

On the pre-match thread, how many people called that team? .. No-one .. We can't all be wrong.

It was muddled thinking, just to crowbar Amos into the side, possibly under pressure from external sources. He did the same with Glen Rea last season, when Brighton were on his case. Stuck him in a lopsided midfield and we lost 0-3 at home to Doncaster as a result!

On the radio before the game he said he was changing formation to cope with Walsall playing three centre backs (we had not scored against them in the previous three games). He also said Wordsworth was playing up front. I think Amos got brought in because he also wanted to counter the 5ft 3" Oztumer by packing midfield. He gave them far too much respect and the game plan went out of the window as Oztumer appeared to be playing up front (Jackson was dropped) and only lasted one tackle. It was then he should have changed formation.

Walsall were in the end very poor as have most teams been this year.

Brown as far as I can recall has only admitted to getting it wrong once - that was at Burton when they beat us with 10 men for all the second half. In the end it didn't matter.

With a bit of reflection I am not sure it was the tactics which were dramatically wrong , but the players not dealing with their roles.

Ranger strikes me as a player who likes to know where to put the ball, Robinson or Cox moving off him as the ball is coming to Ranger and his decision where to put it is made up. Play it up to him when his support man, Wordsworth or McG , is waiting for him to decide where to play it ,so they then move onto it and he is less effective.

If we are to play Ranger as the "big man" in a formation with either the two wide men or an advanced midfielder supporting , then the support players should be making their runs as the ball is struck up field, rather than when Ranger gets to it , True it means that they will have to be wary of the offside, but as they are coming from deeper they should be able to measure it.

We were most effective when Ranger had Robinson and/or Cox playing off him on Saturday.

In the first half, he carried the ball a few times, but had no easy outlet, whereas Cox always gives him an option or two.

Think that says it all.

Plus, the best move of the match for us was when Cox laid it into Ranger's path and the keeper tipped his shot away.

Back