• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Did anyone else notice how upset /emotional Ferninand was at the end ? He walked over to the Walsall supporters , I didn't see if anything happened, but when he walked back to the West he clearly looked overwrought, maybe the goal and win meant that much?"

He was last off the pitch too - soaking up as much of the atmosphere as possible. It means a lot to him to still be playing, and with a club who have aspirations.

With regard to Amos - pretty dire for nearly all the time he was on. Made a couple of good passes (he should have made dozens in that position) but was rarely involved in any of the play. For the most part he was a passenger. He should have been taken off after fifteen minutes - because the game was that important. I don't give a monkeys about what it would've done to his confidence.

What game was you watching? The midfield was over crowded as we played the awful one up front, but I thought he was really good. He won the ball back numerous times and gave the ball away once. Of course he tired, as he never stopped running.

White was forced into that for the 2nd goal by Smith's poor kick out. He had to recover and get back as he was forced to change from being in an attacking position to suddenly defending when we shouldn't have given the ball away. You can't criticise him for that.

He was under pressure because of Inniss, and also because he took a nasty knock that left him hobbling when he had to make a challenge to stop another attack.

It is not often that I disagree with you OBL, but I do rather think you can see no wrong where JW is concerned. You only have to watch the video to see that he allowed the cross for both goals, something he does on a regular basis and imo the reason he can no longer make first team selection on a regular basis.

It is not often that I disagree with you OBL, but I do rather think you can see no wrong where JW is concerned. You only have to watch the video to see that he allowed the cross for both goals, something he does on a regular basis and imo the reason he can no longer make first team selection on a regular basis.

You can't blame him for the 2nd goal, you really can't. If you watch the longer segment posted to You Tube then you will see that Ted's kick taken quickly and seemingly well off course puts him under pressure from which he has to try and recover, with no help from Inniss. I accept that he could have probably done better for the 1st, but he wasn't the only person you can say that about.

I am still not sure why people don't understand what happened back then. Banks were giving out money like it was water, Ron had all his plans ready to go then the big crash happened and banks stopped lending, meaning Ron was in trouble. Not his doing, but he managed to keep SUFC going.

The issue was when he was using the tax man as a cheap loan facility. Not being able to borrow money is due to Rons own credibility. Banks are lending and have been openly for a long time since.

Wasn't it nice to have a nice relaxing Sunday when we'd won the day before. Even in our lofty position this is only the third win on a Saturday since mid December -twelve games. Who would have thought it at 4.15?

Travelling up from TN31 on the South Coast my match days last longer than most - a minimum of 8 hours devoted to the game. The first decision is Train or Car - I have to get across the Thames. Preferably I have a drive to Ashford, HS1 to Stratford and rocky ride to Prittlewell however Crossrail has put paid to that recently. So now it's drive and risk the tunnel or train and extend the day by another hour.

I was lucky I risked the tunnel and only queued from junction 2 - the left hand bore had been closed for a time. Lucky it wasn't August with holiday traffic.

So I parked up just before 2pm, picked up the team news on Twitter -oh dear one up front Thompson and Cox on the bench. What's that about? The Phil came on the radio and explained it all. The back four who kept a clean sheet against prolific scorers Coventry were rewarded by keeping their place in the team. Theo was still stiff from Tuesday and he had to combat Walsall's three centre halves as we never do well against them. Nick asked change of formation - no Wordsworth is playing up front. Well that's all right then. I thought he must have brought Amos in so he look Oztumer in the eye - reasonable.

Had a stroll round Priory Park to stretch my old legs - didn't want to be getting stiff after the drive. Picked up a programme - check to see if we had still beaten Northampton 2-1 and lost at Peterborough 4-1 - yep must be getting old my memory is playing up. Oh and when did Walsall become Charlton - more confused - I could have sworn they were the Saddlers?

There were nice pics of proper footballers Dave Cusack and Micky Stead

Game kicks off and its clear its slipped Phil's mind to tell Wordsworth that he is playing up front - mind you Wordsworth's first real contribution was a perfectly timed crunching tackle on Oztumer which put him out of the game. This was followed on the other side by an assault on McLaughlin's ankle which didn't look great and took him along time to run off.

We lob a few balls in to Nile which bounce off his head rather than him directing them at goal. Oh for Bill Garner. Then surprise surprise Walsall pass the ball from their own half into our goal without any one getting near them. The blow me a few minutes later we help them to do it again. Note - both times their full back got right to the line before pulling a cross back.

The rest of the half apart from a rocket from Wordsworth being brilliantly saved drifted into nothing. They didn't know what to do with a 2-0 lead and we new we had to wait until the second half to attack properly - after all we had been practising at Gillingham and Bristol Rovers (actually our packed midfield was clueless. A resigned hush hung over the Hall with most thinking have I really got to sit through another 45 minutes of this. I thought Amos looked a tidy player let down by others. Quick feet like Peter Butler and Luke Guttridge. It's what we lack

At half time I sent my text to my wife - Losing 2-0 I said. They're hopeless she said - she claims she knows nothing about football. Before the why do you waste you time going text came through. I texted her we're going to win 3-2. She said how come. I said Ehm wishful thinking on my part. She said Cosmically Order it.

http://thecosmicorderingsite.com/

So our comeback had nothing to do with Phil - I was because my wife cosmically ordered it.

Innis gets his customary booking, Phil can't risk another. Jason comes on and plays like a man possessed. Pick the ball up and run at them. Alleluia! Theo some pace and movement up front.

A quick free kick Atkinson goes to the line crosses Nile can dive instead of jump and powers a header into the net. Another free kick half cleared to Anton 2-2. Another free kick and Coxy must have been watching Lanzini on his Iphone on the bench and the cosmically ordered score materialises.

Driving home I hear Phil wax lyrical on how one up front was producing loads of chances and that it was Innis's yellow that forced him into substitutions and that there's so many games coming up that Nouble and Mooney would have to start up front in some. At least Paul Clark has some sense in his match summary. We have an attacking force that's where our relative strength is so go for it. Don't over think or give the opposition too much respect. And actually trust your players.

Jason turned the game, Nile was excellent and managed 90 minutes.

I arrive home at 7.30 to congratulate my wife and tuck into my dabs fresh from Hastings beach.

There's a lot to learn.

The standard in League 1 must be the worse I can remember.
Really there is no one to fear.
Don't ever go one up front again. Remember Sheff Utd.
If your best players are fit play them.
Encourage running at defenders - it wins free kicks.
Get to the line before crossing the ball its so much harder to defend.

Oh and everyone practise Cosmic Ordering. We can do it.

And on the history of comebacks - April 1st 1988. 2-0 down to Wigan - fighting relegation. Step up Donut from the spot, Martin Ling and the David Crown wonder goal. 6 wins in the last 8 games Paul Clark kept us up after the Dick Bate shambles.

No need for the "cupping the hand to the ear" gesture though, no-one was giving you abuse.

Aimed at his own supporters I believe. He's been getting pelters from them all season.

Just to clarify on the second goal for Walsall, as i sit very near to the dugout. As Smith was preparing himself to distribute the ball, Phil Brown clearly barked out loudly "John White" to Ted as he was taking the kick.

Despite the traffic on the M20 and the jam around the tunnel, made it in time for kick off - and a very nice box it was too. Although I had some trouble identifying one of the player's photo on the wall (N'Diaye) and Harry Crawford isn't exactly a great player to have up on the wall either.

The game, I never thought we'd lose- they had two shots and scored them both. We had the chances - and I thought if the crosses were drilled to Nile rather than floated we could have scored ourselves. Their keeper was great by the way.

i thought Phil would leave it a few minutes before making any changes and they were the right ones - Demi is much better at attacking and so it proved. That last 30 minutes was immense.

I do feel sorry for Fortune though - can he get back in the side before the end of the season - such a variety of options available now!

As we watched the stand empty below us I saw a few familiar faces - and one of them (thanks Andy), pointed out Jack Payne in the box next to mine - so I went over and said hello - nice chap if a bit dull. Then I went to the exit and like a fanboy had my photo taken with most of the team all of which were friendly (naturally Nile was the one everyone wanted autographs from).

Marks - unnecessary in my view. All played a part. But big up to Ranger and Anton.

I also remember coming back from 0-2 down to win 4-2 against Stockport County in season 71-72!

This may have already been mentioned but we were 2-0 down at HT against Hartlepool in December 2009 and came back to win 3-2.

I appreciate that most of us have blanked that season from memory though.

EDIT: Seen Shrimper has beat me to this one, apologies.

Thought Inniss was poor (so much so he was being mocked by the away fans)
Wordsworth would have seen red for his two early crunching tackles if the game had been at the Den/Priestfield.
Demi was excellent when he came on.

I wish we could bottle up that last 30 minutes and play like it for the rest of the season. Almost unplayable and could have scored more. It might be oversimplifying things and Brown probably won't do it, but we should go to Wimbledon and start with the team that finished this game. No point being cautious now, it's time to go for it.

What a game.....that first half, it was dreadful, the displeasure from the crowd at half time was noted.

Out of the blocks in the second not a lot better, the big change for me was Jason, right away we was a different team, a right back that wants to bomb forward, the team looked like our old team (the way we were playing) before the McLaughlin injury, we missed him so much, in my view he was the most consistent player before the ankle.

Amos looked ok, very calm and lots of pointing, talking like an older player, the team was playing poor when he was on the pitch, so I don't think we can judge him, I recon he could be good.

What a turnaround.

My views on the game are similar to that of fbm and Andy T. I didn't know about Walsall's godawful away form until after the game but it makes sense because - for all their neatness in possession - they are one of the most lightweight teams I've seen at the Hall for a long time.

Like some others I wasn't in the slightest bit worried when we went 2-0 down because it was obvious that we would batter them once we brought on a striker to play alongside Ranger, who had previously been winning plenty in the air and causing problems but with no support.

I simply couldn't understand the tactics. Ranger up front on his own was like Barry Corr syndrome; a total waste of his talents, especially considering how many strikers we have in the squad now. Cox may still have been feeling the effects of his illness so I could see why he was on the bench but dropping Robinson was absurd. McLaughlin appeared to be the second striker as I barely saw him out wide, where he is most effective, with Wordsworth tucking in somewhere just behind; it looked to me like a Christmas tree system.

The one blessing may be that our comeback will convince Brown once and for all to play to our bloody strengths and not overly worry about the opposition, especially as we were at home.

The issue was when he was using the tax man as a cheap loan facility. Not being able to borrow money is due to Rons own credibility. Banks are lending and have been openly for a long time since.

Not to Football Clubs they aren't!They are only lending to viable propositions, where there is pretty much 100% tangible security.

My views on the game are similar to that of fbm and Andy T. I didn't know about Walsall's godawful away form until after the game but it makes sense because - for all their neatness in possession - they are one of the most lightweight teams I've seen at the Hall for a long time.

Like some others I wasn't in the slightest bit worried when we went 2-0 down because it was obvious that we would batter them once we brought on a striker to play alongside Ranger, who had previously been winning plenty in the air and causing problems but with no support.

I simply couldn't understand the tactics. Ranger up front on his own was like Barry Corr syndrome; a total waste of his talents, especially considering how many strikers we have in the squad now. Cox may still have been feeling the effects of his illness so I could see why he was on the bench but dropping Robinson was absurd. McLaughlin appeared to be the second striker as I barely saw him out wide, where he is most effective, with Wordsworth tucking in somewhere just behind; it looked to me like a Christmas tree system.

The one blessing may be that our comeback will convince Brown once and for all to play to our bloody strengths and not overly worry about the opposition, especially as we were at home.

I'm a supporter of Brown but can see lots of his failings. He is a bit too negative in his thinking. He also makes weird statements. He was saying after the game that it was 2 up front as Wordsworth was the other forward alongside Ranger. That clearly is not accurate. Wordsworth was in an overcrowded midfield. Ranger kept trying to head the ball back to the midfielders. Only when Robinson came on was he able to flick it on towards the goal. It was a one up front, and as usual it didn't suit our players and it did not work.

The one blessing may be that our comeback will convince Brown once and for all to play to our bloody strengths and not overly worry about the opposition, especially as we were at home.[/QUOTE]

Nice thought , but in the real world I doubt it. What evidence have we seen to date to indicate he thinks like that. I prefer the Brian Clough approach ' I don't worry about the opposition, I let them worry about us' Thats what you call positive-Can you imagine what that must do for a teams confidence

did Brown really get it wrong, would you all be saying that if the two misses from Ranger and the save the goalkeeper made from the Wordsworth shot had gone , and we ended up scoring 6 goals ,would you still believe he got it wrong, i very much doubt it.

Back