• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The goal I was thinking of (and this was some time ago when I was about 8 years old so there's a fair chance I've got it completely wrong) was when a player (don't know who now) was in the North West corner, about level with the edge of the area. He lumped the ball forward, and it bounced over the 'keeper and into the net.

It seems too much of a coincidence that there would be two similar goals at around the same time, so I'm now starting to think I've got it completely wrong.

I'm sure some of the more...er...life experienced fans can help!

I'd want to ask him if he ran the cafe next to the open-air paddling pools near the top of Lifstan Way for a period (probably in the 70s), or is my memory completely screwed??
Yes he ran one of cafes near the marine activities centre. I got his autograph !

When you coached at Southend High, did you ever see a better prospect than mfurok?

When you coached at Southend High, did you ever see a better prospect than mfurok?

When did he do that? Can't have been 1969-76 when my talents were on display there, otherwise surely, as a fellow right-back, he would have seen what countless other so-called footballing coaches failed to spot over the years.

Townsend booted it from just inside his own half near the East stand, it bounced in front of the Darlington 'keeper who (to give him something to blame!) was deceived by a bounce on a divot (cough) and the ball bounced over him; he then turned and slipped (again in his defence!) and the ball gently trundled into the goal as he crawled after it on all fours - I'm not even sure if it reached the net - Peter Abbott followed it in the hope he could claim the goal. The original "Dodgy Keeper!"

That's my recollection, anyway.

Spot on! That's my recollection too. Although I have to admit i remembered it to be he only goal of the game. However, on checking it was 2-0 with Laverick scoring first. And i would never have said Abbott was playing at that time, but again your right. :thumbsup:

How time plays tricks with the memory.:sad:

When did he do that? Can't have been 1969-76 when my talents were on display there, otherwise surely, as a fellow right-back, he would have seen what countless other so-called footballing coaches failed to spot over the years.

Certainly 1969/70 but I think he was only coaching us older lads.

Great bloke and spoke to him a few times fifteen or so years ago when his visits coincided with me being invited to the Blues Lounge - thanks John - RIP.

Question. That "thunderbolt" goal you scored at Stockport as recently as 50 years and a week ago - were you really just trying to hit the ball as hard as you could straight at the defender who wasn't retreating quickly enough? - it certainly looked like it at the time!

Question. That "thunderbolt" goal you scored at Stockport as recently as 50 years and a week ago - were you really just trying to hit the ball as hard as you could straight at the defender who wasn't retreating quickly enough? - it certainly looked like it at the time!
Dont know about Stockport,but he scored exactly like that from way out on the touch line at Newport.One of very,very few goals we scored at Somerton Park-we lost 1-4.

Dont know about Stockport,but he scored exactly like that from way out on the touch line at Newport.One of very,very few goals we scored at Somerton Park-we lost 1-4.

Ah 1968-69 - not a season we had too much trouble scoring goals !

Ken Bennett scored 5 on his own there one year (over two matches) in the days of Alf Smirk and Frank Dudley !

Did players in the early 60s get wage packets with actual cash in them? How would today's training compared with his back in the day.
My memory says manager Ted Fenton actually smoked a pipe, and a fair few of the players were never far from a pack of fags; Mike Beesley was one for sure.

all at sea is a fanzine?
Sold at Roots Hall?
How much do they cost?

Back