• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agreed.

Whilst he wouldn't have got a great reception at the end (we were too busy celebrating) he organized and ran that defence superbly. Both him and the other centre-half were excellent for the first 70 minutes.
and then we bought pace on out wide and the Oldham defence were pulled all over the place. We could have scored five.

Personally I made a point of not using the word "mobility". It's not purely about how much ground you travel it's how effective you are over the pitch over the course of a game - there's no point running 15km every game if you are not running to the right places at the right time. .

I dunno, Phil Gridelet made a career out of it! :winking:

Our loanee GK had very little to do, but what he did, he did assuredly and there was one fabulous moment where he fooled the oncoming Oldham forward and airkicked to let the ball run out of play in front of their supporters. I can see Ted having difficulty getting back in the team.

Just to clarify, Walters is here on a 7 day emergency loan, than can only be extended for 7 day periods while we remain without a fit professional goalkeeper. As soon as Ted is fit, we can no longer keep Walters, no matter how much we would like to.

Personally I made a point of not using the word "mobility". It's not purely about how much ground you travel it's how effective you are over the pitch over the course of a game - there's no point running 15km every game if you are not running to the right places at the right time. To be clear I am a huge fan of Wordsworth, I love his style and enjoy watching him play and would have him in the side every game if he was 100% fit - however you have to accept that if you play Wordsworth as 1 of a midfield 2 then you're going to sacrifice presence in the centre of the pitch...that's not a criticism of him, just an acknowledgement of the sort of player he is.
Look at yesterdays game...how often did an Oldham body pick up a ball in the middle with no-one within 10 feet of him, how many times did an Oldham body pick up the second ball from a challenge and have time to bring the ball under control? It happened a lot, and it would not have happened if we played a 5 man midfield, or if Timlin or Atkinson had been with Leonard in the middle......

I'm not suggesting for one minute that we should have played a 5 man midfield, or should have played Timlin instead of Wordsworth. It's a balancing act in getting the balance of the team right and as long as he continues to be effective from an attacking point of view he will continue to be worth his place in the team.

Okay, you didn't use "mobility" but you did say he "struggles to get around the pitch at times" and if he was "more athletic" he would be playing at a higher level.

"Presence" is another matter entirely and I think you make some interesting points.

Just to clarify, Walters is here on a 7 day emergency loan, than can only be extended for 7 day periods while we remain without a fit professional goalkeeper. As soon as Ted is fit, we can no longer keep Walters, no matter how much we would like to.

His name is WALTON not Walters................

Thought McGlashan was absolutely outstanding when he came on. Both defensively and in attack.

Considering we were 2-0 up, in injury time, his commitment to fly into that tackle, get back up and run with skill and pace to win the penalty was my favourite passage of play in the whole game.

Perhaps some locks on the cubicle doors wouldnt go amiss either?

Now you are pushing the boat out. Most mens toilets around the ground have broken locks.

And maybe the ultimate request...........hot water? or at least cold water coming out of the hot water taps. Its such an anti-climax when nothing comes out of the hot water taps.

Back