• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I did a very brief post match post last night , when emotions were high due to a sense of injustice ( and a few beers ).
Thinking a little more clearly now.
Very proud of the effort we put in , especially in the second half , with nearly everyone putting in a great effort for the cause.
However , and being totally unbiased for a moment , did we really create any clear cut chances in the second half.
A lot of effort , a lot of pressure , a few long range efforts that were close , but did we really trust their second string keeper ?
I don't think so really.
I also felt their 3 giant CB's handled things well apart from the Ranger penalty incident.
I also felt Madine caused us a lot of problems first half too.
Walton made 2 or 3 superb saves ........ their keeper ?
This is not meant to be having a go at our boys , but just a realistic assessment that for all the pressure in the second half , with the whole place really rocking at times , we never really quite looked like we were going to score.
Bolton are quite one dimensional , but they do play to their strengths and their forward passes are not aimless , but considered diagonal balls that tried to expose our full backs , who aren't the tallest.
As I said , I think our effort was superb , without being controlled dominance IMO.

Players I would mention.
Walton was superb ( and almost equalised ) - his one on one save in the second half was stunning.
John White was also immense last night ( apart from being sold a huge dummy that led to the above save ).
Timlin , Wordsworth and Robinson also played well at times too.

Will we get in the play offs ?
It will be close , and the Leonard , Coker , Ferdinand situations don't help , but I think we have enough about us to make it.

Loved the atmosphere last night , loved the passion in the stands and on the pitch , but still think we came up a little short.

Fully understand that I'm in the minority though.

Loved the atmosphere last night , loved the passion in the stands and on the pitch , but still think we came up a little short. Fully understand that I'm in the minority though.

I actually don't think you are in the minority. What we saw was some real effort and team unity where everyone put in a shift. What we didn't see was the finishing product that we have been treated to over the last few home games. And for that you can look no further than the absence of the Ferdinand, Coker and Lenny which undoubtedly affected our rhythm and a very mean. well drilled Bolton defence. If this post gets hammered then it's your fault for raising it in the first place, capish?

Still feel sick to the stomach after that sucker punch at the end. It was so undeserved and, as others have said, that absolute bell end, Plankinson, is just a horrible manager. Teams all set up the same - hoof it long or play for free kicks or set pieces to get the big lads on to.

Our lads did brilliantly, yes, John White did make one mistake where their attacker wrong footed him, but that was all in an otherwise faultless and quite imperious performance once Inniss had gone off. He and Theo were my two stand out performers on the night. I never expected Theo to last the full match after his sub appearances but he proved that he has the stamina to do so, and so effectively.

Only a couple of negatives, what was up with Timlin's throw ins? They were awful! Apart from that shot I didn't think McLaughlin did an awful lot, and Coxy was just too deep.

Ranger grew into the game and became more confident as the time went on, Woody had a stormer in the middle with Willo here, there and everywhere. The loanee keeper is terrific, just carries himself so much more positively than Ted - Ted's a good keeper but other teams look at him and see a boy.

Walton - 8.5
Demetriou - 8
Thompson - 8
Inniss - 7.5, had looked quite up for it
Timlin - 7.5
Atkinson - 8
Wordsworth - 8.5
McLaughlin - 7
Robinson - 9
Cox - 7.5
Ranger 8.5

Subs:
White for Inniss - 9
McGlashan for McLaughlin - 7.5
Fortuné for Cox - 8

Officials:
Not the best, but nowhere near the worst. West lino seemed to miss loads, and we felt there was a clear penalty not given.

No-one should feel downhearted though, that was the supposed 2nd best team in the division and for the majority of the game we had them on the ropes. Heads high and off to Charlton who are probably due a stuffing as a result!

I did a very brief post match post last night , when emotions were high due to a sense of injustice ( and a few beers ).
Thinking a little more clearly now.
Very proud of the effort we put in , especially in the second half , with nearly everyone putting in a great effort for the cause.
However , and being totally unbiased for a moment , did we really create any clear cut chances in the second half.
A lot of effort , a lot of pressure , a few long range efforts that were close , but did we really trust their second string keeper ?
I don't think so really.

I also felt their 3 giant CB's handled things well apart from the Ranger penalty incident.
I also felt Madine caused us a lot of problems first half too.
Walton made 2 or 3 superb saves ........ their keeper ?
This is not meant to be having a go at our boys , but just a realistic assessment that for all the pressure in the second half , with the whole place really rocking at times , we never really quite looked like we were going to score.
Bolton are quite one dimensional , but they do play to their strengths and their forward passes are not aimless , but considered diagonal balls that tried to expose our full backs , who aren't the tallest.
As I said , I think our effort was superb , without being controlled dominance IMO.

Players I would mention.
Walton was superb ( and almost equalised ) - his one on one save in the second half was stunning.
John White was also immense last night ( apart from being sold a huge dummy that led to the above save ).
Timlin , Wordsworth and Robinson also played well at times too.

Will we get in the play offs ?
It will be close , and the Leonard , Coker , Ferdinand situations don't help , but I think we have enough about us to make it.

Loved the atmosphere last night , loved the passion in the stands and on the pitch , but still think we came up a little short.

Pretty much sums up what I was going to say. A draw probably would have been the fairest result but Bolton definitely created the better chances and (grudgingly) I think if anyone deserved the win it was them. We certainly weren't robbed as some are claiming.

The ref was annoying pedantic and didn't let us play the advantage, but other than the Ranger pen shout (that I wasn't 100% convinced was a pen by the way) he was okay, certainly better than the buffoon from Saturday.

Having said that I was very impressed with much of our build up play in the second half, I see no reason why we shouldn't finish in the top six, especially considering we were missing three big players last night. UTB :loyalsupporter:

Right you lot, close your eyes and take yourself back to the final seconds of injury time last night.

Our keeper goes up, heads the ball, and .................................... scores!

Keep your eyes shut, savour the moment and imagine everyone going mental.

Five hundred of us, all over age 50, then run on the pitch for a selfie with the celebrating players.

All feel better now? :smile:

I marked us down a little in my match report, as well.

Felt a bit harsh, reading back some other posters' views, but rated on what I saw.

My main gripe was our set-up and even thinking back now, I still feel it was wrong.

Sure, we had to re-shuffle the pack, due to injuries and suspensions, but playing Cox and Wordsworth out of position and starting with Robbo, I'm not sure worked, in truth.

The commitment was superb and everyone put in a shift and more, but I found it was more in hope than real belief, at times.

Bolton weren't as good as I thought they would be, but I think they had an easier ride at the back than other sides have had at RH this season.

Great effort from the boys last night. First half we gave Bolton too much respect, but we were easily the better side in the second half. Thought Bolton were one dimensional. We should never have lost, totally undeserved. We move on now to Charlton where a positive result is a must. We've been knocked down a few times this season and always bounced straight back up. We are still right on the mix. One final thought, how good is Christian Walton? He made some superb saves last night. It got me thinking though. How unfortunate it would be if Ted Smith's injury accidently got worse!

Right you lot, close your eyes and take yourself back to the final seconds of injury time last night.

Our keeper goes up, heads the ball, and .................................... scores!

Five hundred of us, all over age 50, then run on the pitch for a selfie with the celebrating players.

Just imagine that had happened, young Walton would have gone down in recent folklaw along with Pigott - alas no...

You'll just have to wait for our last minute winner against Bury by emergency loan striker, and 65 year old pensioner Derek Spence ! On the pitch with the 'international' on your shoulders and straight into the legends bar to celebrate getting into the playoffs :smile:

Did anyone see the 3 Bolton fans get chucked out for going over the wall. Normally I would agree with stewards chucking them out but what was the point with 1 minute to go.

I think he was the fella who got a smack in the face and went off with a bloody nose, so had to change his shirt.

I think he was the fella who got a smack in the face and went off with a bloody nose, so had to change his shirt.

must have happened when a stream of late comers flooded in after kickoff blocking my view...

just remembered that too, really gets my goat, and the ones who went and got coffee, hotdogs, and so on midway through the 1st half, a group of them in block R even got up just as we were about to take a free kick! Grrr!

and then there are the 85th minute leaver brigade ! Sit down ffs!

Said to my boy on the way out (he's a 12yr old defender) that he should always look for the ball dropping in the box and get out to it for the block. Our defenders seemed to back off unfortunately for that late goal. Real shame, as all credit to them and the team, they really put a shift in. Thought Bolton looked quite happy to take a point early on, the time wasting and diving, slowing the game down. You sensed that they were scared of us, rightly so to be fair and a point would send them home happy. The game was quite a battle. I was very impressed with Dervitte, enjoyed watching him during his time here and he stood out last night. They played our dangerous strikers well and subdued Cox also. A very tight game, nothing in it. Undoubtedly we could have squeezed a win with Coker, Ferdinand and Lenny in the team, we need our best players in the team to get a win in games like that, but fair play to the lads, very unlucky. Made a change going in the West, reminded me of years spent as a kid with dad and my boy enjoyed the singing and banter next to the Blue Voice, great atmosphere. So close, yet so far. It's a good time to be a Shrimper, lets hope we get the ball down against Charlton and play, missed the width last night and a fit Ben Coker running the lineand causing trouble. We are in with a massive chance for promotion to the 2nd tier, a very rare occurance in our history, so keep believing and support the boys, it will be amazing if they pull it off at Wembley again. So so close right now !

PS good to see old Frankie Banks at the game, sat near me in X block. My lovely dad once told me of an amateur cup final at Roots Hall years ago against a Southend team, when Frankie played. My late old man raced through to the south bank goal and Frankie cut him down in the box with a minute left at 0-0. Dad got up and stuck in the penalty to carry off the trophy. I meant to ask Frankie about it but, well, yknow i dont like to bother people and he had others approaching him with handshakes. Good to see him looking well. (Southend approached dad's old manager about my dad after the game, unbeknown to my dad, and the manager failed to tell him. My old man never forgave that club when he found out!)

And the award for the most BS quote by an opposition manager goes to that **** Parkinson.

"We probably had the better chances towards the end of the game and I don't think anybody here tonight could deny that we deserved the win"

I always remember when he told BBC Essex Colchester were the better side, we won 3-0 inside 30mins!

Was talking about this game, this afternoon as my brother went and mentioned that very interview.

Quality bull***t from Parky.

We looked up the teams that day and, of course, JW played right-back for Col U that afternoon and old Channel 5 favourite, Chris Iwelumo, played upfront for them.

Back