• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Mum, just got off the bus - can you come and pick me up please? Is freezing cold, peeing with rain, dark and I am frightened on this dark night".
"Sorry love, you may be 13 but you should know that Southend United are playing Stockport County tonight and quite rightly they put the convenience of supporters above your safety - you will have to walk!".

How many night games do we play a season though? I'm with those who want Shakespeare Drive closed for 10 mins at the end of a game. The state of the pavements is appalling which is another reason why so many do choose to walk in the roads.

Plenty of games you see policemen at the bottom of Shakespeare so I really don't see that it would be that difficult to enforce. The biggest problem would be those disabled supporters who use the West stand and then need to be collected from the Shakespeare Drive entrance.

How many night games do we play a season though? I'm with those who want Shakespeare Drive closed for 10 mins at the end of a game. The state of the pavements is appalling which is another reason why so many do choose to walk in the roads.

Plenty of games you see policemen at the bottom of Shakespeare so I really don't see that it would be that difficult to enforce. The biggest problem would be those disabled supporters who use the West stand and then need to be collected from the Shakespeare Drive entrance.
But on what basis should the Council Tax payers of Shakespeare Drive have their road closed regularly? Because you say so?
I would go ballistic if it was my road and regularly closed for a group meeting.

Football should pay for itself and regulate itself.
Shopping areas get busy traffic and pedestrians. The onus is on people taking care and abiding by safety rules.
Why oh why do football fans feel they have a right to close aan area down...because they choose to attend but cannot trust their peers to act safely.?

If I lived in Shakespeare Drive, I'd probably prefer to have my road closed for a short while and cleared of noisy football fans as quickly as possible, after a match, I would think.

If I lived in Shakespeare Drive, I'd probably prefer to have my road closed for a short while and cleared of noisy football fans as quickly as possible, after a match, I would think.

I don't need to go down Shakespeare's drive as I'm in the east. But if the stories of hooliganism and rogue driving are true, I can't imagine too many residents choose that 10 minute slot every fortnight to take the dog for a walk.

I'm a regular in the West Stand and I've seen every home league game this season. We always walk down Shakespeare Drive after a game, sometimes on the pavement and sometimes in the road if necessary. I haven't seen any traffic issues nor crowd violence at all this season. I'm not sure what that proves, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I do live in Shakespeare Drive. The amount of disruption caused after final whistle is minimal. In my experience residents 'manage' this issue, accepting the football ground was there before they took up residence. The problem is mainly caused by people being picked up from directly outside the west stand entrance/exit or the normal drivers taking the 'rat run' to avoid traffic in Victoria Avenue.

I do live in Shakespeare Drive. The amount of disruption caused after final whistle is minimal. In my experience residents 'manage' this issue, accepting the football ground was there before they took up residence. The problem is mainly caused by people being picked up from directly outside the west stand entrance/exit or the normal drivers taking the 'rat run' to avoid traffic in Victoria Avenue.

.... and also fans parking in Shakespeare before the match and wanting to get away asap.

I'm a regular in the West Stand and I've seen every home league game this season. We always walk down Shakespeare Drive after a game, sometimes on the pavement and sometimes in the road if necessary. I haven't seen any traffic issues nor crowd violence at all this season. I'm not sure what that proves, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Unfortunately, I have.
My son was standing in a gap to the side of the road, not in the actual main carriageway, when a driver decided he wanted to try and park in the gap. Instead of waiting for my son to get out of the way the driver just drove straight into the gap, in the process almost running over his foot to the extent that he had tyre marks on the outside of his shoe. To say my son was unimpressed is a bit of an understatement, especially when the driver just laughed; fortunately I managed to restrain my son who shaping up to have a go back...

Back