Likes Likes:  32
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: SUFC Supporters' Group Meeting 12/4/17

  
  1. #61
    Junior Blues Co-ordinator OldBlueLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Benfleet
    Posts
    42,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hogg View Post
    "Mum, just got off the bus - can you come and pick me up please? Is freezing cold, peeing with rain, dark and I am frightened on this dark night".
    "Sorry love, you may be 13 but you should know that Southend United are playing Stockport County tonight and quite rightly they put the convenience of supporters above your safety - you will have to walk!".
    How many night games do we play a season though? I'm with those who want Shakespeare Drive closed for 10 mins at the end of a game. The state of the pavements is appalling which is another reason why so many do choose to walk in the roads.

    Plenty of games you see policemen at the bottom of Shakespeare so I really don't see that it would be that difficult to enforce. The biggest problem would be those disabled supporters who use the West stand and then need to be collected from the Shakespeare Drive entrance.

  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OldBlueLady View Post
    How many night games do we play a season though? I'm with those who want Shakespeare Drive closed for 10 mins at the end of a game. The state of the pavements is appalling which is another reason why so many do choose to walk in the roads.

    Plenty of games you see policemen at the bottom of Shakespeare so I really don't see that it would be that difficult to enforce. The biggest problem would be those disabled supporters who use the West stand and then need to be collected from the Shakespeare Drive entrance.
    But on what basis should the Council Tax payers of Shakespeare Drive have their road closed regularly? Because you say so?
    I would go ballistic if it was my road and regularly closed for a group meeting.
    "If you're feeling inferior...make yourself superior" - Curtis Mayfield.

  3. #63

    Default

    Football should pay for itself and regulate itself.
    Shopping areas get busy traffic and pedestrians. The onus is on people taking care and abiding by safety rules.
    Why oh why do football fans feel they have a right to close aan area down...because they choose to attend but cannot trust their peers to act safely.?
    "If you're feeling inferior...make yourself superior" - Curtis Mayfield.

  4. #64

    Default

    If I lived in Shakespeare Drive, I'd probably prefer to have my road closed for a short while and cleared of noisy football fans as quickly as possible, after a match, I would think.

  5. #65
    Zone Managing Director mcnasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Otley, West Yorks
    Posts
    15,819
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    This point is irrelevant as we will soon be moving to FF.
    MAKE A DONATION TOWARDS THE RUNNING COSTS OF SHRIMPERZONE:


    www.shrimperzone.com



  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    If I lived in Shakespeare Drive, I'd probably prefer to have my road closed for a short while and cleared of noisy football fans as quickly as possible, after a match, I would think.
    I don't need to go down Shakespeare's drive as I'm in the east. But if the stories of hooliganism and rogue driving are true, I can't imagine too many residents choose that 10 minute slot every fortnight to take the dog for a walk.

  7. #67
    Retired Layabout Rootshallbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Westcliiff riviera
    Posts
    11,535

    Default

    I'm a regular in the West Stand and I've seen every home league game this season. We always walk down Shakespeare Drive after a game, sometimes on the pavement and sometimes in the road if necessary. I haven't seen any traffic issues nor crowd violence at all this season. I'm not sure what that proves, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    What if the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about?

  8. #68

    Default

    I do live in Shakespeare Drive. The amount of disruption caused after final whistle is minimal. In my experience residents 'manage' this issue, accepting the football ground was there before they took up residence. The problem is mainly caused by people being picked up from directly outside the west stand entrance/exit or the normal drivers taking the 'rat run' to avoid traffic in Victoria Avenue.

  9. #69
    Zone Managing Director mcnasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Otley, West Yorks
    Posts
    15,819
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crowstone Crevette View Post
    I do live in Shakespeare Drive. The amount of disruption caused after final whistle is minimal. In my experience residents 'manage' this issue, accepting the football ground was there before they took up residence. The problem is mainly caused by people being picked up from directly outside the west stand entrance/exit or the normal drivers taking the 'rat run' to avoid traffic in Victoria Avenue.
    .... and also fans parking in Shakespeare before the match and wanting to get away asap.
    MAKE A DONATION TOWARDS THE RUNNING COSTS OF SHRIMPERZONE:


    www.shrimperzone.com



  10. #70
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    (Was) Back home on the North Bank now back in W, again.
    Posts
    1,069

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rootshallbloke View Post
    I'm a regular in the West Stand and I've seen every home league game this season. We always walk down Shakespeare Drive after a game, sometimes on the pavement and sometimes in the road if necessary. I haven't seen any traffic issues nor crowd violence at all this season. I'm not sure what that proves, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    Unfortunately, I have.
    My son was standing in a gap to the side of the road, not in the actual main carriageway, when a driver decided he wanted to try and park in the gap. Instead of waiting for my son to get out of the way the driver just drove straight into the gap, in the process almost running over his foot to the extent that he had tyre marks on the outside of his shoe. To say my son was unimpressed is a bit of an understatement, especially when the driver just laughed; fortunately I managed to restrain my son who shaping up to have a go back...
    First game under the Friday night lights at the Hall, 25/3/66 England Amateurs 3, Scotland Amateurs 3.

    First ride on the Shrimpers rollercoaster, Friday, 8/4/66, Shrimpers 5, Gills 2 Eddie Firmani hat trick

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

ShrimperZone.Com Official Sponsors