• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What should be done with it?

• Invite 16 B teams again

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • League 1 and 2 clubs only

Votes: 133 83.1%
  • Scrap it completely

Votes: 23 14.4%

• Total voters
Gates are down along with prices...most clubs would IMO take a punt on being put straight into round 3 with the potential of having a plum tie or progressing further.

With our record, I'd take a punt at going straight into the 3rd round too.

Hold on I thought this thread was about improving the comp ,not worrying about if any player graces the hallowed turf,somebody mentioned chucking in conference teams,they have their Wembley chance in the trophy!

The rest of your reply is unfair and unwarranted.

Erm post #4 ... you was for scrapping it !!!

I do wonder just who is responsible for courting the sponsors? Football is about money these days and sadly the money available from winning a few Chuckaway Trophy games is meagre. A place in the final and all the guff that goes with it may be of interest but many clubs don't want to risk more games for their tight budget squads.

If the comp were ramped up a bit, great promotion, added winnings etc... I still feel it is an opportunity for many businesses to get a very healthy amount of publicity at an affordable price. Not everyone can sponsor the League and the FA cup or whatnot.

Like many, I welcome any opportunity to support the team, in whatever competition. When we have done well in this comp there have been plenty of happy fans and posts on the forum galore. I hope it stays. I hope its for Leagues 1 and 2 and I hope the clubs are given enough incentive to take it seriously.

To those who would scrap it, I'd say remember how we felt at the end of the Orient southern final, just having scraped a 2-2 draw to get to Wembley. Why deprive us of that chance again? Get rid of the B teams & get back to making it our competition. Its the League Cup for the lower leagues. The Emirates might be half empty for the first couple of rounds of that competition, but they'd pack Wembley for the final and they'd still love to win it. I think it would be a shame to scrap it.

To those who would scrap it, I'd say remember how we felt at the end of the Orient southern final, just having scraped a 2-2 draw to get to Wembley. Why deprive us of that chance again? Get rid of the B teams & get back to making it our competition. Its the League Cup for the lower leagues. The Emirates might be half empty for the first couple of rounds of that competition, but they'd pack Wembley for the final and they'd still love to win it. I think it would be a shame to scrap it.

Fair point but the F.A Cup,League cup don't have the glamour they once did! Where does that leave a Mickey mouse comp like The Chuckaway trophy?

League 1 & 2 teams only, but spice it with a wild card entry to the Champions League for the Winners ;-)

Ha... but in all seriousness, an entry into the Europa League may be an option. Any winner can't be significantly worse than some of the mickey mouse tinpot outfits that get entered...

And actually, I think Checkatrade will have done incredibly well for their sponsorship this season. There probably hasn't been a more talked about cup competition on the planet and every time it is spoken about in the media, the name "Checkatrade" is mentioned. I reckon they must be rubbing their hands with delight as their coverage will have increased by god knows how much. For them, the publicity has been phenomenal.

For those who listen to Talksport... to the tune of the last few bars of the William Tell overture...

"Checkatrade... Checkatrade dot com."

Idea;

48 LG1 and LG2 teams

16 groups of 3. With rivalry games/close teams etc. Usual points system but with 1 point for each goals scored. Also, £5k put into a pot (By FA and EFL) for every u21 player that plays divided between teams at the end. So if we played Kyprianou three times, that would be £15k added to the pot.

Top 16 go through, then straight knockout.

Idea;

48 LG1 and LG2 teams

16 groups of 3. With rivalry games/close teams etc. Usual points system but with 1 point for each goals scored. Also, £5k put into a pot (By FA and EFL) for every u21 player that plays divided between teams at the end. So if we played Kyprianou three times, that would be £15k added to the pot.

Top 16 go through, then straight knockout.

This sounds like a quickly thought up competition for an animated football game on the Nintendo Wii.

Recently I remember hearing that the combined attendance(s) is up and yet the average attendance (per match) is down. Not quite sure what to make of that.

Back