• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

It will all start to make sense on June 9th when the scale of the Labour defeat starts to sink in.

Don't believe everything you read/hear in the the right-wing, biased media.

I'm quite happy to bet you (or anyone else on SZ) that the Tories won't get the much vaunted 3 figure majority (ie 100 seats) that Benfleet (and others) have talked about.

Don't believe everything you read/hear in the the right-wing, biased media.

I'm quite happy to bet you (or anyone else on SZ) that the Tories won't get the much vaunted 3 figure majority (ie 100 seats) that Benfleet (and others) have talked about.

Unlike you I don't buy or subscribe to news papers. So my world is not based around what Guardian tell me.

The dream team.....Corbyn....Thornberry....Abbott =annihilation :hilarious:

Ron Woodley for me. A local man who works hard for local issues. He has help thousands of the residents of Thorpe Bay by releasing them from the covenant that was being abused by its new owners. He has helped my own local based business and is a Shrimper. He supports the stadium move so should definitely be considered by any Southend fans.

I'm over the other side of town so Callaghan would be the one on my voting sheet. If Woodley was standing against Amess he would probably get my vote as I agree with what you say about the guy.

The Echo is reporting this morning that two independents are intending to stand against Duddridge and Amess. They are Ron Woodley and Tino Callaghan. Woodley I know about, Callaghan is a new one to me. I've always voted Labour in GEs but this time I'm really struggling to decide on my voting colours. Maybe I will listen carefully to what these two indies have to say before I vote. It would certainly be a shock to the Borough if the two Lords of the Manor lost their seats, however unlikely that may seem.

IMO all of us should take this approach rather than the "I voted Labour, Dad voted Labour, his dad and his dad, and so on and so on. I'm certainly going to look at the local candidates and vote for who I think represents me more.
If that turns out to be Stella Creasy then so be it, but I'm voting for the local area rather than the figure heads.

IMO all of us should take this approach rather than the "I voted Labour, Dad voted Labour, his dad and his dad, and so on and so on. I'm certainly going to look at the local candidates and vote for who I think represents me more.
If that turns out to be Stella Creasy then so be it, but I'm voting for the local area rather than the figure heads.

A bit of a bollock if you live in Corbyn's constituency though. Or not, dependent on your views I suppose.

I don't understand people not doing this. Instead we have this tribal devotion to one side or other like it is a football team. This blind support for red or blue is disastrous for our country and our democracy.

So, Corbyn and Labour today decide to attack the government on infant/primary class sizes. My God! there are SO many areas in education (teacher morale and numbers, new grammar schools) where the Tories can be rightly taken to task. Yet, Labour launch an attack using a TINY minority of oversized classes and claiming that the situation is getting worse,.......which it apparently isn't..............well, only in Wales, where Labour are in control! Their arguments were effectively and embarrassingly torn to pieces on the World at One, a short time ago. Verdict, Labour need to do better, one hell of a lot better. If this is the quality of their argument and debate, they will get the drubbing they deserve......pathetic, sorry:angry:

If my daughter ever voted Tory or UKIP I'd disown her. :angry: :smile:

If my daughter ever voted Tory or UKIP I'd disown her. :angry: :smile:

Poor show, if of course true.

People should have the right to vote the way they wish to and not feel pressurized by anyone either in or outside of the family. I would not feel the same way if my daughter voted Labour.

I assume your comment is a little "tongue in cheek" though.

Poor show, if of course true.

People should have the right to vote the way they wish to and not feel pressurized by anyone either in or outside of the family. I would not feel the same way if my daughter voted Labour.

I assume your comment is a little "tongue in cheek" though.

Of course it is. I was born into a Labour voting house, and a dad who believed in the Unions so maybe I get my political affiliations from him, but we had quite a fractious relationship so you'd think I'd be a dyed in the wool Tory.

MK Jnr can make up her own mind at 18, but I'll tell you one thing, I will make sure she votes in 2028.

Of course it is. I was born into a Labour voting house, and a dad who believed in the Unions so maybe I get my political affiliations from him, but we had quite a fractious relationship so you'd think I'd be a dyed in the wool Tory.

MK Jnr can make up her own mind at 18, but I'll tell you one thing, I will make sure she votes in 2028.

That's a different proposition. You can do so much to instill in your children that Labour/Tory/Lib Dem is the right way to go, but I'd never lay it on the line to my two of 1 and 4.

That's a different proposition. You can do so much to instill in your children that Labour/Tory/Lib Dem is the right way to go, but I'd never lay it on the line to my two of 1 and 4.

When do you become politically aware? I remember at 7/8 being quite excited that we'd have a woman as PM as it was a new thing.

Back