• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

What is confusing me with this strong leadership thing is that if you know you have 2 years to do the most amount of admin, law making and trade deal negotiating in our history - surely a strong leader would get on with it not waste 7 weeks on an election that just distracts from the very major task in hand. She already wasted months trying to overturn the commons vote high court decision. Far from strong leadership she just seems to be dicking around creating other things to do rather than than the really big important one.

Local election news: Jack Monroe looking to stand in Southend East or West (maybe using the libel money won from Katie Hopkins to fund the campaign) and former Tory party chairman Eric Pickles is quitting his Brentwood seat (probably the 3rd highest profile to quit after George Osborne and Alan Johnson)

just for you youngsters who may not understand the irony of Barna's post (I have always assumed all are ironic) the day the Toiries lose Brentwood and Ongar is the day the revolution comes. Come on Barna the man's 65 with a 21,000 majority with UKIP second. Falling on his sword my arse. He's retiring.

as muddled as that was she did apologise to Costa straight afterwards for getting the coffee sellers mixed up

I've just remembered that Dawn Butler was the first ever MP to ask a question in Parliament using sign language, which was very laudable.

More of that, less of the car crash radio interviews, please.

Local election news: Jack Monroe looking to stand in Southend East or West (maybe using the libel money won from Katie Hopkins to fund the campaign) and former Tory party chairman Eric Pickles is quitting his Brentwood seat (probably the 3rd highest profile to quit after George Osborne and Alan Johnson)
Would expect she'll go for East given that Duddridge has come in for a lot of stick for his stances on taxis/Uber and Southend A&E. She's a member of the Labour Party, who were second there in 2015.

I've just remembered that Dawn Butler was the first ever MP to ask a question in Parliament using sign language, which was very laudable.

I think my most ideal political election interview would be in sign language on the radio, bliss!!

She got a lot of praise for signing - and rightly so, good for a politician to put effort in to make you think.

I've not heard that interview all the way through but I like her generally - she speaks in a 'real' way and doesn't try to hide behind cliches - which I guess leaves her open to the odd gaff. I saw that Costa tweeted her saying its easy to get the coffee sellers mixed up (or something like that).

If it is in anyway acceptable to fancy a politician then I think she is buff tings.

Would expect she'll go for East given that Duddridge has come in for a lot of stick for his stances on taxis/Uber and Southend A&E. She's a member of the Labour Party, who were second there in 2015.
I'm reading mixed messages on if she is intending to stand as an independent or not. I thought her party membership had expired but that may not be right. If she is intending to stand for Labour she would obviously need to apply to do that rather than decide to. I see her as someone who would stray from the party line a lot but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm reading mixed messages on if she is intending to stand as an independent or not. I thought her party membership had expired but that may not be right. If she is intending to stand for Labour she would obviously need to apply to do that rather than decide to. I see her as someone who would stray from the party line a lot but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
That's what I've been thinking about, would have expected her to stand as an independent but might feel she has a better chance of actually winning if she stands as Labour if only not to split the anti-Tory vote.

That's what I've been thinking about, would have expected her to stand as an independent but might feel she has a better chance of actually winning if she stands as Labour if only not to split the anti-Tory vote.
definitely - I would hope and assume the local CLP's are in touch with her to make sure they are not aiming for the same votes

just for you youngsters who may not understand the irony of Barna's post (I have always assumed all are ironic) the day the Toiries lose Brentwood and Ongar is the day the revolution comes. Come on Barna the man's 65 with a 21,000 majority with UKIP second. Falling on his sword my arse. He's retiring.

Most of them are.:winking:

The idea of Pickles as a local MP (and yes I know he's been there 25 years) is,of course,an irony in itself.:smile:

Thought I heard on the radio yesterday that applications to stand close on sunday so she should get her finger out if she wants party backing.

Back