• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Oh dear, how sad.

Maybe, but you know what I it had happened and JC had struck a deal with Gerry Adams & co, the right-wing would go into meltdown and I doubt you'd be so blase about it. Would I be happy....yes, of course. I firmly believe we need a Labour Government (unlike one that praises our public servants and then stabs them in the back with a pittance of a pay rise, and cheering when it does so), but I guess that makes me a hypocrite. Mea Culpa.

So looks like the Tories are going back on their miserable 1% payrise for public sector workers. WTF would you vote on it in the first place if you think it's a bad idea? TM really is doomed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-40504088

Tory 1% paycap comes in for more flack at PMQ's.

Whilst I'm delighted some of Britain's finest workers are now in the public domain. Lets nor forget it was a Labour who stole part of my pension whilst voting to keep their own, despite the fact that Police and Firefighters pay more and for a lot longer than any MP.

It was a Labour government who ripped up the Firefighters pay agreement in the first place, despite it serving the country well since the 70's.

Until Grenfell tower, your mate JC never mentioned the pay cap with any real meaning.

Whilst I'm delighted some of Britain's finest workers are now in the public domain. Lets nor forget it was a Labour who stole part of my pension whilst voting to keep their own, despite the fact that Police and Firefighters pay more and for a lot longer than any MP.

It was a Labour government who ripped up the Firefighters pay agreement in the first place, despite it serving the country well since the 70's.

Until Grenfell tower, your mate JC never mentioned the pay cap with any real meaning.

Rigsby, you are making stuff up again.

This was reported in the Metro on the 17 May as part of the Labour election manifesto. It is a clear pledge to lift the 1% pay cap on public sector pay increases:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/16/labou...y-policies-for-general-election-2017-6628153/

So you didn't read the manifesto then.

I get this pension crap from a good mate of mine-who's an accountant-practically every time I see him in Southend.

I take it you're talking about Gordon Brown's pension reforms under Blair?

I get this pension crap from a good mate of mine-who's an accountant-practically every time I see him in Southend.

I take it you're talking about Gordon Brown's pension reforms under Blair?

Brown raided pension funds, and it was nothing short of theft, costing the average 40 year old circa 120 k.

He then managed to make things worse by increasing pension ages.

Then of course we have the damage done by the 2008 crash.

Brown raided pension funds, and it was nothing short of theft, costing the average 40 year old circa 120 k.

He then managed to make things worse by increasing pension ages.

Then of course we have the damage done by the 2008 crash.

Don't really want to rake over old ground but please explain why a Labour government should subsidse people's private pension arrangements via tax breaks?

Think you'll find that the increase in the pension age was pretty universal throughout the EU.

Please also explain how you (and the Tories) can possibly continue to blame Labour for the 2008 crash?

Don't really want to rake over old ground but please explain why a Labour government should subsidse people's private pension arrangements via tax breaks?

Think you'll find that the increase in the pension age was pretty universal throughout the EU.

Please also explain how you (and the Tories) can possibly continue to blame Labour for the 2008 crash?

Labour have admitted and apologised for their part in the 2008 crash, so not sure why you are trying to deflect the blame?

If you want a full insight into Brown and Blairs incompetency with pensions there are thousands of links on line for you to enjoy.

Perhaps having read them...you would care to explain what incentive there was to invest in Pensions, particularly for low earners?...who would if they could, have to fight through labours red tape becoming more reliant on state pension credits.

Labour have admitted and apologised for their part in the 2008 crash, so not sure why you are trying to deflect the blame?

If you want a full insight into Brown and Blairs incompetency with pensions there are thousands of links on line for you to enjoy.

Perhaps having read them...you would care to explain what incentive there was to invest in Pensions, particularly for low earners?...who would if they could, have to fight through labours red tape becoming more reliant on state pension credits.

As far as I'm aware, no senior Labour party figure has "admitted and apologised for their part in the 2008 crash." Why should they? It was a worldwide crash,which started with the subprime mortgage crisis in the US.It had nothing to do with the Labour party whatsoever,apart from the fact that Labour was in office at the time.If you have any evidence to the contrary I'd be interested to see it.
Meanwhile enjoy the last days of Mrs May's austerity government.:winking:

Last edited:
I bet Theresa May is getting even less sleep that Maggie claimed to need. That snap election looks like a worse decision by the government every day. Yougov have Labour with an 8 point lead on 46%, Brexit negotiations seem like they will be a series of let downs, economic news is all heading the wrong way, ex MPs, back benchers and even cabinet ministers are publicly questioning the few policies that were retained from the manifesto. This feels like nothing that is in place now is guaranteed to be in place in two years time. Bumpy ride.

As far as I'm aware, no senior Labour party figure has "admitted and apologised for their part in the 2008 crash." Why should they? It was a worldwide crash,which started with the subprime mortgage crisis in the US.It had nothing to do with the Labour party whatsoever,apart from the fact that Labour was in ofice at the time.If you have any evidence to the contrary I'd be interested to see it.
Meanwhile enjoy the last days of Mrs May's austerity government.:winking:

Really?....you weren't aware that Gordon Brown (doesn't come much more senior than that) admitted that Labours handling of financial regulation leading upto the 2008 crisis was a 'big mistake'?

You totally missed Ed Balls comments on Labours lack of understanding?

Andy Burnham comments in the Guardian, regarding Labours financial mishandling, were totally unnoticed by you?

I can only assume you missed them as they were lost amongst all Labours other apologies?

In summary there is a wealth of evidence out there Barna, but little point in my supplying it to you...as your reaction will be ''Aren't the tories **** though", which may well be...but has nothing to do with Labours past failures, of which there are many.

Really?....you weren't aware that Gordon Brown (doesn't come much more senior than that) admitted that Labours handling of financial regulation leading upto the 2008 crisis was a 'big mistake'?

You totally missed Ed Balls comments on Labours lack of understanding?

Andy Burnham comments in the Guardian, regarding Labours financial mishandling, were totally unnoticed by you?

I can only assume you missed them as they were lost amongst all Labours other apologies?

In summary there is a wealth of evidence out there Barna, but little point in my supplying it to you...as your reaction will be ''Aren't the tories **** though", which may well be...but has nothing to do with Labours past failures, of which there are many.

As far as UK politics is concerned, I'm much more interested in the present and the future than the past.:angel:

In any case your comments about Labour amounts to hearsay rather than direct links or quotes.

You're right, however, that the Tories are **** though.:winking:

As far as UK politics is concerned, I'm much more interested in the present and the future than the past.:angel:

In any case your comments about Labour amounts to hearsay rather than direct links or quotes.

You're right, however, that the Tories are **** though.:winking:

As I already stated, there are plenty of links, which contain direct quotes....search and you will find Barna....here's a couple

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/13/andy-burnham-apologises-labour-overspending

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013

As a Labour supporter you would do well to think that the future should be better than the past....tunnel political vision will however curtail you from applying this across all parties.

As I already stated, there are plenty of links, which contain direct quotes....search and you will find Barna....here's a couple

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/13/andy-burnham-apologises-labour-overspending

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013

As a Labour supporter you would do well to think that the future should be better than the past....tunnel political vision will however curtail you from applying this across all parties.

As an ex-member of the CPGB (and probably still a Marxist), I have been highly critical of the Labour party in the past.Not of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership (so far) though.

Will check out your links when I have time.Thanks.

Back